What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

550 dropping windows

sweeni

I bought my 550 with 26000 on the clock nearly 10 years ago and as a condition of the sale I insisted that the dropped windows were repaired. Now with over 68000 completed they are again dropping, indeed I will soon be able to get in and out of the car without opening the doors. This is neither good for security nor wind noise.
So is it a DIY job or will I have to bite the bullet and actually pay to have it sorted? Does anyone know what the problem is and are there any modifications available to cure this well known issue, also affecting the 456?

Sweeni, are you on about the automatic window dropping when your open the door ?

on the 456, there is a tiny switch in the door lock block that drops the window - sounds like that has failed - you can test by pressing it with the door open.
the switch is the hoop, you can just make it out on the attached photos - you push it towards the seal - you'll feel it with your fingers.

not to be confused with the interior light switch partly shown at the top of the photo :).

The door lock block is quite easy to replace - just 2 bolts and a push on electric connector for the switch.

or are you on about the fact that they drop at the back top and you're getting wind noise in that way ?
If so, the whole window mechanism inside the door can be adjusted in position to counteract this - but its fiddly, and I know of one car who's owner broke 2 windows trying to adjust it.
I believe its a tiny pin, that starts to bend that causes the issue.
the US Chat site gives a lot more info for the 456 issue

Attachments

• Door locking post incl.jpg
    Door locking post incl.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Just had the car in for service with Adam at AE and he tells me that there is not a lot that can be done due to the poxy design of the system. He has adjusted as far as he can but it’s never going to be good. 😡