What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Advice required: 2006 Manual vs 2008 low mileage F430

I've now seen four engine failures. The incidents aren't known because of fear of the cars' value being affected. The (very) knowledge engine builder I deal with has direct experience: the big ends become oval and "It only takes a few 100's of a millimeter before it fails.".

I'm going to check mine at the 40k interval.

There’s been a couple on FChat in the last year or so.
As above “I’ve got this knocking noise” then “I need a new engine” then tumbleweeds......

Should be fairly inexpensive to check and shouldn’t be a cause for concern now a known issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder if the factory has enough occurences for it to be a registered issue yet and / or any upgrades took place for the 458.

It's not something that was triggered as a known failure mode in the development program according to my sources.

Having said that there is a dead 458 with significant engine damage that everyone is keeping quiet about.

458 rods are 3 mm longer meaning the engine has a better rod angle mid-stroke. They also have different rod bearings.

The F430 Challenge has stronger rods and bolts.

The rod angle/ratio would have been fully understood at design time. Either weight optimisation went too far, or the bean counters did...

No the crankshaft issue was a manufacturing defect where as these guys are talking connecting rod cap bolts.

The 458 is a bore and tolerance related issue exacerbated by a lack of use...so far there’s more to come out on that one.

458 rods are 3 mm longer meaning the engine has a better rod angle mid-stroke. They also have different rod bearings.

The rod angle/ratio would have been fully understood at design time. Either weight optimisation went too far, or the bean counters did...

Could be a GD&T stack-up issue which is Ferrari’s Achilles heel IMO.

Sourcing challenge parts could well be the best route.

Mark the FIA series GT2 car developed from the GTC and was de-stroked to get under the 4.0L so if anything that would make things worse - does the builder you have spoken to have any experience of the race engines?

The GT3 car meanwhile was standard mechanically but tuned to 550hp hence my take on a good road tuning limit being circa 520/30 hp

Would be good to see how the shorter stroke motor held up...

The F136 GT 4.0 made circa 439 bhp at 7k RPM :)

It's worth noting that a less than ideal rod angle can still be made to rev - in another car I have a 4cyl 2.0 build on a totally one off forged crank, rods, and pistons that is a shade under 2400c with a 7500 limit, but the downside is heavier components and increased friction on the thrust face. I run a Cosworth developed Compacted Graphite Iron block from a WRC car to take the abuse!

Race cars of course have a lifespan of hours...

Agree,

I love short stroke motors and especially speed of response which is a hangover from my two stroke tuning days and worship of Yoshimura and Mine's engines. It would be interesting to build a stroker version of the 430 engine.

My 8C is 4.7 litre but not flat plane crank so it behaves very differently.

Sorry OP ....We’re so far off topic now we’ll soon be smack on again [emoji4]

This is the vid from one of the FChat posts.
Usually cylinder number 2 was what one of the techs said.

https://youtu.be/HL4K__MqlJY

It needed a new engine but the guy disappeared so there were no update after that....

Hi Guys

Thank you all for the advice, really appreciated.:grin: The black manual was sold, so I'm on my way to pick up the Rosso one tomorrow morning. Very excited. Will post some pic's once I get back.

Sorry OP ....We’re so far off topic now we’ll soon be smack on again [emoji4]

This is the vid from one of the FChat posts.
Usually cylinder number 2 was what one of the techs said.

https://youtu.be/HL4K__MqlJY

It needed a new engine but the guy disappeared so there were no update after that....

I like the way he was reving up the engine .......... it would have solved the ticking/rattle, as it would go bang and then be very quiet, with one of the rods poked out the side of the block :laugh:

Hi Guys

I can't thank you enough for the information provide, which enabled me to make my decision.

Here are some Pics

Attachments

• dsc_0515.1400x0.jpg
    dsc_0515.1400x0.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 115
  • dsc_0516.1400x0.jpg
    dsc_0516.1400x0.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 116
  • dsc_0519.1400x0.jpg
    dsc_0519.1400x0.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 116
  • dsc_0520.1400x0.jpg
    dsc_0520.1400x0.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 115
  • dsc_0522.1400x0.jpg
    dsc_0522.1400x0.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 114
  • dsc_0526.1400x0.jpg
    dsc_0526.1400x0.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 117
  • dsc_0537.1400x0.jpg
    dsc_0537.1400x0.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 113
  • dsc_0552.1400x0.jpg
    dsc_0552.1400x0.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 113
Superb!

The rear end with the CH grill looks so much better than standard....

Congrats ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk