What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Don't you just love insurers

francisn

Administrator
Staff member
So - my daily driver insurance renewal with the AA is due for renewal.

Last year it was £197.61. This year the renewal is £326.08.

The price change reflects the claim I have made in the last 12 months.

Well I have indeed made a claim against the lady the drove into th side of me when I was minding my own business in the inside lane of the M4 in November. She admitted she was at fault and I have a number of emails from her apologising. The damage to my14 year old car was fairly superficial, but would still cost £650. Initially she told me would settle privately but after getting a quote for her own car she decided to go through insurance. She has told me that she has had her car repaired. So I duly reported the incident to my insurers, the AA. I told them that if her insurers were not prepared to accept liability then I didn't want to pay the £175 excess to get the minor scratches repaired. So a few weeks ago I called the AA to find out what was happening. They told me that they had made a claim against her insurer Direct Line but had received no admission of liability but Direct Line had 3 months to respond. Then yesterday I received an email from the AA saying the claim had been subrogated as I had not made a claim!

I had actually diarised it to call them today, but in light of the email called them yesterday. Initially they tried to tell me that until I had incurred a loss, ie had actually incurred a loss, ie get the repair done paying the £175 excess, there was actually no claim. I told them that was ridiculous as if the other party didn't accept liability I wouldn't go ahead with the repair. Delving a bit deeper they discovered Directline had no record of a claim from the lady, although she had told me that she had claimed and had her car repaired. I have no reason to doubt her as she had told me who her insurer was. The AA wondered if maybe she had done it all through a broker.

Delving deeper the AA then told me Directline had written to the lady asking for comments and had received no reply within the 14 days allowed. So I have the AA on that case now.

However it has been like drawing hen's teeth. I am involved in a collision entirely not of my fault. My insurer seems to just wash their hands of it until I put pressure on them. I have received no recompense, yet they decide to increase my premium by nearly 70%.

Somewhere their system is somewhat faulty

I’d love to be surprised. One of the reasons I prefer smaller setups - have the Ferrari with Locton and the dailies with AIB. Just think the service is far better.

Pete, my Ferrari is with Classicline. No complaints there.My windscreen claim last year was without problem.

Pete, my Ferrari is with Classicline. No complaints there.My windscreen claim last year was without problem.

My windscreen claim with Tesco wasn’t a problem either, they just doubled my premium on next renewal.
I thought it was the right time to move insurers then.

My windscreen claim with Tesco wasn’t a problem either, they just doubled my premium on next renewal.
I thought it was the right time to move insurers then.

What the F is insurance for? A shared risk, not make you pay for what you claimed.

What the F is insurance for? A shared risk, not make you pay for what you claimed.

Agreed.
Never had a claim with them either so they would probably have accrued enough money over the years to cover the cost of the screen. When I questioned them they wouldn’t budge on the price and said the price hike was because of the cost of the windscreen, about £1300 from memory. They lost 4 policies that day, even the ones they didn’t increase.

Unfortunately no surprises on this one!:thumbsdow

Years ago I got knocked off my motorcycle by white van man. They all, including my insurance, wanted to take the easy road and do knock for knock; this was after some pissing about by the various parties. I then went hard over and wrote a letter to my insurance company stating that under no circumstance would I accept any liability for the accident, facts were clear it wasn't my fault, and I wanted full compensation and if the other party didn't want to play ball I was more than prepared to take them to court!

Worked a treat and my insurance company did a complete about face. Claim was settled fairly quickly and I got a fair settlement (although you very rarely come out evens on these things).

Seems to me they all want to just take the easy road; and unless you are prepared to be annoying and a pain the in the back side, you wont get what is owed to you. That doesn't make it right or fair, but just seems to be the way it works!

Get at them, and don't give them any quarter :thumbsup:

Francis, my daily driver 2nd year AA policy renewal came in 50% higher despite no incidents or claims. Shortly after, I received an AA email promising to price match if I was considering changing insurer.
As I had already been to the price comparison websites I called the AA. After a few offers with ever increasing reductions the operative got close enough to the lowest price I had and I renewed with them.
What surprised me was that no ‘proof’ of lower quotes was required. In retrospect I assume that their system must be set up to show them what their competitors are offering.

That's why we're paying more with the likes of AIB vs high street tat. It should never happen but motor insurance is the biggest con out there.

Today's update.

The AA renewals say as there is an outstanding claim on the records their underwriters won't re-quote until the claim is finalised.

Then talked to the claims dept who I have to say were extremely helpful and are going to attempt talk to Directline by phone (if they can get through) to get them to agree liability.

Update, just had an email form AA claims to say they couldn't get through on phone but have sent them an email, but as at the moment, as no work has been done and therefore no actual loss, they can't litigate. I have talked to the bodyshop (he is a one man band so is still working) and I am considering "having the work done!! :) so that the AA can then threaten Directline with litigation to get them moving. I am however no resigned to having to pay the premium though that leaves me with little negotiating position for any revised quotation once all is settled.

It's all a pain in the neck and taking a lot of time, though in the current situation it is keeping me amused!

As Adrian wrote, if you don't push you don't get.

Also don't forget that if you make your insurance company aware of an accident and don't claim; irrespective of fault; its still on your record and will be held against you when they calculate future premiums. :thumbsdow

Also don't forget that if you make your insurance company aware of an accident and don't claim; irrespective of fault; its still on your record and will be held against you when they calculate future premiums. :thumbsdow

Indeed. As I have learned. But in theory you have to report an incident. It's all a big con. A woman drives into me whie I am minding my own business and I get financially penalised. It all stinks.

Indeed. As I have learned. But in theory you have to report an incident. It's all a big con. A woman drives into me whie I am minding my own business and I get financially penalised. It all stinks.

Another way of looking at that equation is - A woman drives into you while you are minding your own business and your insurance company profits because they have an excuse t charge you more regardless of you being no extra risk and not costing them anything.