What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Ferrari 348 engine bay and rear end restoration.

Service time.

A delivery of parts like this can only mean one thing. Few other jobs to attend to while its out of the way.. Mainly. cosmetic. More pics to come as I get into it.

DSC02601.jpg

DSC02600.jpg

DSC02594.jpg

DSC02608.jpg

DSC02610.jpg

A delivery of parts like this can only mean one thing. Few other jobs to attend to while its out of the way.. Mainly. cosmetic. More pics to come as I get into it.

Really look forward to seeing this.

About how long did t take to get the engine out, Nick?

Really look forward to seeing this.

About how long did t take to get the engine out, Nick?

I pulled it over a couple of days Pete, but not on it full time. Some work on a ramp first. Oil drain, cables, some of the mounting bolts etc. Stuff that would be tricky on the floor. You could probably get it out in a morning if you wanted too.. Im in no rush though.

I pulled it over a couple of days Pete, but not on it full time. Some work on a ramp first. Oil drain, cables, some of the mounting bolts etc. Stuff that would be tricky on the floor. You could probably get it out in a morning if you wanted too.. Im in no rush though.

Cheers. I think that would be one of the benefits of doing this yourself - absolutely no time constraint so you can really do a thorough job.

if you put a hills water pump in, check the seals and that the mating surface is flat. dl put a new one in and it leaked. they had to do another engine out, so now refuse to fit hill pumps.

be worth checking with them what pressure tests they do on them before shipping; just to convince yourself its all good.

if you put a hills water pump in, check the seals and that the mating surface is flat. dl put a new one in and it leaked. they had to do another engine out, so now refuse to fit hill pumps.

be worth checking with them what pressure tests they do on them before shipping; just to convince yourself its all good.

This one is from Superformance. Ive talked to a few people who have fitted these without issue.....Cant say Ive ever seen a Hills water pump for the 348...I had a look for interest sake but nothing listed on their site under cooling system that I can see. Maybe they have given that one up.. Its an expensive claim for a proven faulty item if they have to pay for the removal and refitting too.... Thats a different argument though..

So a small cosmetic job Ive been looking at doing over the last few years is the engine bay bulkhead area including the petrol tank. I was never going to be attempting this with the engine in so now is my chance to get at it. Im waiting for a few bits and bobs to arrive for the engine so something to get on with after removing all the bulkhead mounted components.
The aluminium coating was starting to peel and looked old and unattractive. What I found is a foam / rubber piece across the bulkhead covered by a fibre backed heat protection layer. Apart from the small area Ive shown separated, the rest of the fibre layer was stuck hard to the rubber. Not easy to remove without doing a lot of damage so after removing all the old aluminium foil layer which just peeled off I re glued the loose piece of fibre matting and left it all in place.
Takes a bit of time to measure and cut the new cover piece and fresh blades are a must. I borrowed some high temp , high strength glue off a friend to do the sticking.
Im happy with the results. Looks a whole lot better.. Tank comes next.. Materiel used as looks close to original....https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/glass-cloth-500mm-x-1000mm-aac-500
DSC02704.jpg

DSC02707.jpg

DSC02708.jpg

DSC02710.jpg

DSC02711.jpg

DSC02714.jpg

DSC02705.jpg

DSC02706.jpg

DSC02712.jpg

DSC02715.jpg

DSC02719.jpg

DSC02723.jpg

Looks much better, Nick :thumbsup:

Putting in new 'foil' is something I had done during an engine out. Thing is when you brighten up one area it can sort of show up another so it leads on to other things. For me next it was replacing the foam under the engine cover which really got shown up when the front wall of the engine bay looked shiny and new. Don't know how firm you are on original look but I replaced the standard brown foam (which I think you had before if I remember earlier pictures?) with black. It's not original but it really lifts the engine bay I think.

Mind if I post up a pic? Don't want to 'hijack' your thread but it does make the engine bay look different.

Looks much better, Nick :thumbsup:

Putting in new 'foil' is something I had done during an engine out. Thing is when you brighten up one area it can sort of show up another so it leads on to other things. For me next it was replacing the foam under the engine cover which really got shown up when the front wall of the engine bay looked shiny and new. Don't know how firm you are on original look but I replaced the standard brown foam (which I think you had before if I remember earlier pictures?) with black. It's not original but it really lifts the engine bay I think.

Mind if I post up a pic? Don't want to 'hijack' your thread but it does make the engine bay look different.

Sure. Post a pic. Ive got my foams out for measuring at the moment. They are a grey colour. Ive been told there is a company near Oxford who may be able to get something close. Ive yet to chase them down though. Will get a number. Lets see. Ive looked at many other foam options over time but I need to settle on one now. I dont want to put the old ones back in this time really.

I think mine are actually a very dark grey, almost black. Sort of match in with the air intake hoses going to the air box.

Looking good. :thumbsup:

I did the engine cover as well but went with a foil covered solution. still have some; probably enough to do another engine cover; your welcome to it if you want it.

Time to get loads of parts powder costed and plated; as Pete says, once you start….!

Time to get loads of parts powder costed and plated; as Pete says, once you start….!

Yep, my respray started with sorting some stone chips, complete interior retrim was supposed to be tidying up the seats........ :laugh: