What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

ferrari paint codes

I visited the body shop yesterday and progress going well. They have stripped to bare metal and only need to repair to small sections on the top of one front wing behind headlight and small section on rear wing. They are letting in new metal in both areas. All other areas are very sound so looks like I have been lucky!
I was puzzled to see in your photos, the "carefully sculpted" part of the external door panel, under the release lever, as I didn't recognise this. Sure enough, it is not there on my doors. Also, both my doors are aluminium! If it has had these from the factory, should it still have that sculpted section, or did aluminium doors just have a plain door panel with a hole?

The door skins on an E series should be steel not aluminium. Only the 206 and the earliest 246 L series models had aluminium door skins. The raised sculpted feroule for the door handle was there on every variant of the Dino - 206, 246 L/M/E series. If you have aluminium doors then the door skins have been replaced at some point in the car's life and the feroules have not been re-instated. In spite of romantic notions that these were handmade cars the truth is they were the first mass produced model by Ferrari and the production process was very regimented by the time the E series models entered production. As a result there were not massive variances in methods/materials used from car to car as the build process was well organised with the bodies being assembled by Scaglietti in Modena to the specification laid down by Pininfarina.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have instructed the bodyshop to fabricate the ferrules - a tricky job but they are doing it.
A couple of questions, if I may? Firstly, the bodyshop are asking if I want any form of stone chip or protection over the satin black on the sills. Is there any way to protect this area without it being totally incorrect or looking wrong?

Secondly, neither Superformance or Dinoparts are able to supply the rear 1/4 glass outer rubbers (referenced 14 and 15 on TAV.111).
Dinoparts offer a black mastic to use instead. Is this effective or does anyone know of a source of correct rubbers or ones that can be adapted?
Thanks again for any assistance.
Chris.

The rear quarters had black mastic from the factory from new along the lower edge. The seal around the rest of the window is the same as the original door seal but most cars now have incorrect and much thicker door seals fitted.

With regard to stone chip protection there isn't anything that you can put on the sills that won't spoil the look. It is an easy area to touch in so I'd suggest just leaving it as satin black with no additional protection. I've racked up a few miles in my cars and it has never been a problem in all honesty.

Nearly there now on my repaint. Now have it back in Nuovo Giallo Fly and wow, it looks a different car. Now need to repaint the wheels (Fiat, Campagnolo) and fit the new Michelins. I've been advised the wheels should be bead blasted and then simply silver painted, with no lacquer coat. (Powder coating a bad idea as not original and also would lose the definition of the markings on the wheel). Would you concur? If so, what is the correct spec / code for the silver paint?
I will post some photos when finished. Thanks and kind regards,
Chris.

Nearly there now on my repaint. Now have it back in Nuovo Giallo Fly and wow, it looks a different car. Now need to repaint the wheels (Fiat, Campagnolo) and fit the new Michelins. I've been advised the wheels should be bead blasted and then simply silver painted, with no lacquer coat. (Powder coating a bad idea as not original and also would lose the definition of the markings on the wheel). Would you concur? If so, what is the correct spec / code for the silver paint?
I will post some photos when finished. Thanks and kind regards,
Chris.

Sorry, of course are Cromodora not Campagnolo! Are they a magnesium alloy? Spoke to a local wheel refurb company and they didn't want to touch them. Help please, on how to go about refurbishing them and correct paint code? How to protect them when painted, if not by lacquer?

Speak to Pristine Wheels in Milton Keynes. They are used to dealing with magnesium wheels and offer a wheel collection service. They have just refinished a set for me (Carrs in Exeter organised it) and the colour and finish are excellent. They will use a satin laquer to protect the paint and which gives the correct non glossy original look finish. Here is one of the wheels they did for me. Just tell them you would like the wheels refinished to the same method they used for Carrs back in February. The paint used was FIAT Argento 612/A in D/W shade.

http://www.pristinealloywheels.co.uk/

Attachments

• sdc12460.jpg
    sdc12460.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
I have arranged for Pristine to collect my set for refurb. I note you are using metal valves rather than change to rubber. I suppose this depends on the condition they find when theyremove the existing valves?
Also no outside balance weights, so on inside only. Is there sufficient clearance for stick on weights to be used on the inner circumference or should they be avoided and only knock on weights on the inner rim?

Thanks again,
Kind regards,
Chris.

Weights on the outer face are just a pet hate of mine as they ruin the look of the wheel and are a potential point for corrosion on the magnesium when removed. There is sufficient clearance for stick weights on the inside of the rim which is a much tidier solution. The metal valves are there because that is how the cars were supplied when new.

Thanks Iain, fitting new metal valves and looking forward to getting back my wheels. The tiny tyre shop in Hereford who took my tyres off asked where I was getting the wheels refurbed. I told him Pristine and he showed me a large promotion poster and said he was their local agent!
Anyway, to get back "on subject", where exactly does the paint code sticker go? Got a new Nuovo Giallo Fly one from Superformance but don't know where to stick it! Polite responses only please... :)

There were no paint code stickers on the 246 when new I'm afraid. Those stickers were introduced on later models. The paint supplier for the 246 was Glidden Salchi and your sticker from Superformance will most likely say Glasurit as the paint supplier.

The answer then is to stick it back in the post! :)
As it was in the 206/246 section I wrongly assumed it was a period correct item. Thanks for once again putting me "on the straight and narrow".
Kind regards,
Chris.

Paint code sticker

There were no paint code stickers on the 246 when new I'm afraid. Those stickers were introduced on later models. The paint supplier for the 246 was Glidden Salchi and your sticker from Superformance will most likely say Glasurit as the paint supplier.

Superformance say they believe their stickers are correct factory spec. I think they are, but just not for the 246, as you say.
Do you by any chance know when the factory started using these paint code stickers? Superformance suggested I asked on the forums to get views on it. Thanks and regards, Chris.

Chris, there is a long thread on F Chat somewhere about paint code stickers. You will find it if you do a search on there. From memory some of the V12 cars of the late 60's era had paint stickers yet the 365 Daytona did not. The 308 GTB appears to have had the stickers as well. The 246 definitely didn't get them.