What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

I stupidly bought the wrong parts!

Belfry

Hopefully my story will stop others making a similar mistake to mine!

My 1995 456 manual has a tiny weep from the radiator. I looked at the prices from Ferrari and couldn’t believe the prices (£3-5,000).
I thought I’d been super clever by buying a used radiator for £300 then had it recored with a higher spec core for better cooling.
No that I’m ready to swap the leaking radiator for the ‘new’ recored one, I’ve noticed that there are different radiators for different assembly numbers!
The 2 Ferrari part numbers are 164615 for assembly numbers up to 20878 and 180895 for later assembly numbers. My assembly number is 19389.
The problem is that my second hand radiator was described as ‘456 radiator’ without a part number. I now know I was dumb, but how can I tell which radiator I’ve bought and recored? They look the same on Eurospares and my rad doesn’t seem to have a part number on it.

I took the restored radiator to the garage today, and we compared the two side-by-side. As far as I could tell, the only difference between the two versions of these radiators is a small bracket on one side which connects the later radiator to the oil cooler. On the earlier version the whole cooler is welded to the radiator.

I spoke too soon. The 2 radiators are slightly different and won’t line up. So I’m now having my original recored and refurbished too.

If anyone would like to buy an original Ferrari #180895 radiator in perfect working order please let me know. The thicker core will aid cooling while keeping your car looking 100% original.

456M GT rebuilt radiator

Belfry, I might be interested in that rebuilt 180895 rad if you still have it. If not would be interested in how your other re-core is performing.

Belfry, I might be interested in that rebuilt 180895 rad if you still have it. If not would be interested in how your other re-core is performing.

I sold the rebuilt radiator to a 456 owner for £1,000

I don't want to speak too soon, but about 4,000 miles later, the re-cored original is working fine to date. We had 40 minutes in stop-start traffic on the coast road from St Tropez this week and the coolant temp did not exceed 90 degrees.

My experience suggests that getting our original radiators re-cored is the solution. I think that the top and bottom tanks are copper and the middle is aluminum so and old-fashioned radiator outfit will be able to solder this all together.