What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

My 348ts UPDATE as its been a few years!!

Good afternoon guys and gals. Its been a while since I have posted anything, this is due to work commitments and a big house move - the car took a back seat so to speak! Once I was back on track the car came to the forefront of my mind again, so I have had plenty done! Where to start - well as some will know I have owned my 348 for 14 years and in this time I have tried to make it one of the best around. To give you an idea of how on/off my time is with my car due to life getting in the way, in 14 years it has covered 5k miles.

SO what is new, well I have had the targa roof re-trimmed to match the Creama seats, the "potato sack" original finish was not to my liking and from a lot of research I discovered from factory you could have upgraded to the finish I have gone for (pictures below)

A full suspension rebuild has taken place, all the original components were perishing due to being 26 years old! This has taken 3 months to complete (over 60 hours labour) but with sending parts off to be zinc plated or shot blasted etc time just gets away and all of a sudden its been off the road and out of MOT and TAX :)

So tomorrow is MOT day so I can TAX it and get back out on the road and try out the handling properly. Lets hope the weather holds out for one more weekend!!!

fullsizeoutput_e3b.jpg
IMG_7821.jpg
fullsizeoutput_e3b.jpg
fullsizeoutput_e41.jpg
fullsizeoutput_e42.jpg
fullsizeoutput_e45.jpg
fullsizeoutput_e3f.jpg
fullsizeoutput_e3c.jpg
fullsizeoutput_e3d.jpg
fullsizeoutput_e3e.jpg
IMG_7800.jpg

Been cleaning up the tool kit also, the devil is in the detail....ing

IMG_7819.jpg
IMG_7817.jpg
IMG_7818.jpg

This is the Targa roof trim I went for

IMG_7829.jpg

Some more interior shots, big thanks to johnny V8 for the vent vinyls :thumbsup:

IMG_7828.jpg
IMG_7830.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_7834.jpg
    IMG_7834.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_7835.jpg
    IMG_7835.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 265
The car looks superb Paul I'm sure it will fly through the MOT.
Great pictures too. The targa top is a great improvement I think I
will get mine off to the trimmers now.

Great work and a project I want to do on my car in the winter.....

Have you replaced the suspension mounting brackets or had the re-plated?
Is hydrogen embrittlement a concern on those high stress fasteners?

The car looks superb Paul I'm sure it will fly through the MOT.
Great pictures too. The targa top is a great improvement I think I
will get mine off to the trimmers now.

I would certainly recommend it. I never understood the material they had, it was used a lot in a 328 I believe too. Just didn’t match anything, so knowing there was a different factory option it had to be done.

Had to postpone the MOT as it rained today. Tomorrow it is.

Great work and a project I want to do on my car in the winter.....

Have you replaced the suspension mounting brackets or had the re-plated?
Is hydrogen embrittlement a concern on those high stress fasteners?

Thank you, make sure you post pictures when you do yours. All new top mounts were used, just bolts and brackets zinc plated, there were also numerous new bolts as some had to be cut off.

Shot blasting and recoating is common place, zinc plating also, they seem confident that the work done would last another 26 years so I certainly will not be getting it done again.

Paul,

I like the targa panel lining, and interesting to know that it was a factory option to have it done in leather. I've been thinking what to do with mine as the drivers side sags and sits on top of my head (1st world problems!).

Did you also get the two small panels re trimmed that are by the interior "roof" light?

Cheers
Adrian

PS being nosy I'm often down Portsmouth during the week and would love an opportunity to have a look/chat if the opportunity arose.

Paul,

I like the targa panel lining, and interesting to know that it was a factory option to have it done in leather. I've been thinking what to do with mine as the drivers side sags and sits on top of my head (1st world problems!).

Did you also get the two small panels re trimmed that are by the interior "roof" light?

Cheers
Adrian

PS being nosy I'm often down Portsmouth during the week and would love an opportunity to have a look/chat if the opportunity arose.

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the question, I did indeed have the two panals in the roof done also in the same, you can just about make it out in the picture - it looks so much better and lifts the interior quality I think.

You are welcome to come see and talk cars over a coffee anytime. I am not far from Portsmouth, a village called Clanfield off the A3. PM me when you are around.

Thanks

Paul

Hey peeps, Just a few engine bay shots as the detailing has not stopped at the paintwork. I have found a place that will re finish the inlet manifold with the original crackle finish paint from Italy - in the original colour so that is next on the list of things to get done!

50E6C7B3-7BDF-4CBC-800C-62EE155BE5AD.jpg
44710C1B-8FBC-40D1-81CF-FFC5E01B4973.jpg

Also a couple more shots of the roof retrim I had done :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 12283430-BA66-43F4-A19E-9AF572FA3E30.jpg
    12283430-BA66-43F4-A19E-9AF572FA3E30.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 166
Engine bay looks good. Going to give half information here I’m afraid - a while back someone got a set of the yellow coil stickers made up and a bunch of us got a set. Mine were ok but I’ve got a set ready to go on at some point. Can’t for the life of me remember who did them but someone on here might. I’ve also got a spare header tank sticker and electrical sticker, pretty sure I got them from Superperformance.

The roof looks good :thumbsup: Must confess, thought the leather was an option on the 355 but not 348? Pretty sure that’s the case as I saw a late options list for 348 GTB/GTS and that option wasn’t on it, could be wrong mind you. Amongst my roofs (colour coded, original black, foldable) the black one is a 355 roof but I put 348 seal brackets and seals on it. The cloth is a much softer, finer weave than the 348 one which does look better imo. That may be an option for anyone not wanting to go the whole hog and trim it in leather.

Last edited:
Engine bay looks good. Going to give half information here I’m afraid - a while back someone got a set of the yellow coil stickers made up and a bunch of us got a set. Mine were ok but I’ve got a set ready to go on at some point. Can’t for the life of me remember who did them but someone on here might. I’ve also got a spare header tank sticker and electrical sticker, pretty sure I got them from Superperformance.

It would be good to get some new ones - I will have a search - Thanks!!

The roof looks good :thumbsup: Must confess, thought the leather was an option on the 355 but not 348? Pretty sure that’s the case as I saw a late options list for 348 GTB/GTS and that option wasn’t on it, could be wrong mind you. Amongst my roofs (colour coded, original black, foldable) the black one is a 355 roof but I put 348 seal brackets and seals on it. The cloth is a much softer, finer weave than the 348 one which does look better imo. That may be an option for anyone not wanting to go the whole hog and trim it in leather.

I cannot remember where I found it, it was over a year ago, I think it was offered as an option once the car was in the country as an upgrade - may have been in the US too. Either way I think its a vast improvement and still in keeping with the original interior. Like your roof selection, If I ever come across a, shall we say good value one, I may get the same. I am toying with going back to the black finish on the roof and going back to satin on the sills etc - big decision there though!!!