What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Now Have a Carcoon for the 348

Hi peeps, just a few more pics of the car - it now has its own little bubble to live in - must say very pleased with it-do many others use one? Seems to be a straight forward but a clever thing! Now Im moving on to making the interior good!!

Attachments

• IMG_0802.jpg
    IMG_0802.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 217
Hi Paul, yes got a carcoon but had to get a normal bubble one due to the way my garage door opens. Must admit with mine I run a dehumidifier inside. I asked the company about its claims about beating the dew point etc because I couldn't see how it could, scientifically speaking. As it doesn't actually take water out of the air, as temp drops so humidity rises. I put a humidity sensor inside and sure enough the humidity was exactly the same as in the garage after a few hours - when it hit 80% outside the carcoon it was the same inside. As condensation is possible in air with a relative humidity of 60% or greater, I set the dehumidifier to hold 50% relative humidity which is what most of the posh storage places set. Really happy with the whole setup though, including the battery conditioner/charger.

The garage mine is in is detached from the house and quite cold. It sits below the garden around it and does have damp patches. The Carcoon has coped admirably with it but admit in the Autumn of 2010 there was condensation on the inside of the Carcoon, just a little.

I actually opened the vent which IMO allowed better airflow and this did seem to help keep the interior free of condensation at that time.

If you can I do think a dehumidifier is a help. The Carcoon will keep the air moving, more so with the vent open, but if it's cold and the relative humidity is say 80% you can get condensation forming on surfaces and even if the air is flowing, it won't stop condensation on say the inner wheel arches or behind the sills.

The other advanvage of a dehumidifier is that if the car is damp, say you got caught out or it's been washed, you can put the dehumidifier up to max and it dries the car out in a couple of hours. Before I had one I put up a thread about putting a car away damp in a carcoon, it was into a cold garage and inside the wheel arches it was still damp 24 hours later. With a dehumidifier running it's bone dry within hours.

Oh one quick tip of the month, everyone knows not to put the roof of the carcoon on till your exhaust cools down or it melts. Well came back from a spirited drive and went straight into the carcoon without stopping as the garage door had been left open on purpose. The floor of the carcoon where the tyres were melted a tiny bit, not through but just crinkled a tad. Worth stopping outside for a few minutes if you come back at pace :thumbsup:

No Mike, a Carcoon is for parking your car in. A garage is merely a convenient place to keep your Carcoon :)

Very true, I just fancied one after spending all that money on a full respray. Want to keep it as perfect as possible! Just trying to find some good trimmers to do some interior work now - it never ends :grin: