What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

ROSBERG RITIRES

I think one of them had to go.

I also think Rosberg knows he's not as quick as Hamilton and given other teams catching up with the Mercs he's possibly not as quick as several others. He's by no means a poor driver, far from it, but given equal cars I wouldn't put him in the top 5 or so F1 drivers in terms of pace. Think he knows he had his chance and took it. Best of luck to him.

Very valid point - particularly in the context of the allegations about Spain that Lewis flounced out and had to be persuaded to rejoin

For Nico it would not get any better and it appears the team would always indulge Lewis so who needs the grief

PS just seen this :laugh:

Attachments

• CyrZCQgWIAAGNr2.jpg
    CyrZCQgWIAAGNr2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

I also think Rosberg knows he's not as quick as Hamilton and given other teams catching up with the Mercs he's possibly not as quick as several others. He's by no means a poor driver, far from it, but given equal cars I wouldn't put him in the top 5 or so F1 drivers in terms of pace. Think he knows he had his chance and took it. Best of luck to him.

Not entirely sure one of them had to go though that will make life a bit easier for Toto next year, but agree with the rest of what you wrote. I've been reading some quite idiotic posts on the BBC News website. The vitriol to both drivers is quite amazing. I think very few of us have any idea of the pressure on the drivers, the constant travelling, PR work etc. You could see it with Jenson that he just wanted to get his life back. When Brundle asked him on the grid what was he going to miss he replied with something like "only the bit that comes in the next 2 hours" ie the racing.

I am happy for Nico that he got his championship. He deserves it. Sure he had some luck, but he worked hard for it. Neither Damon or Nigel were the best drivers of their era, but they too stuck at it and to a large extent lucked in by having the best cars and were both deserved champions. Nico is no different.

However - whatever your opinion of Lewis, he really IS quick AND a racer. Different level, as is young Max.

Best for the future Nico and enjoy your family.

Very valid point - particularly in the context of the allegations about Spain that Lewis flounced out and had to be persuaded to rejoin

For Nico it would not get any better and it appears the team would always indulge Lewis so who needs the grief

PS just seen this :laugh:

Lewis plus Fernando = previous history :laugh:

I'm sure Toto would welcome that like a hole in the head :shocked:

+1 and I'm very happy that Nico became the deserving champion for 2016. The funny thing is though, he's beaten the Mr T wannabe and Lewis will never get the chance to regain the crown from Nico. Good stuff :laugh:

I think very few of us have any idea of the pressure on the drivers, the constant travelling, PR work etc.

Sorry Francis but it makes me laugh when people talk about the 'pressure' on multimillionaire sportsmen. It's not on the same page as operating in an armed conflict for example.

Sorry Francis but it makes me laugh when people talk about the 'pressure' on multimillionaire sportsmen. It's not on the same page as operating in an armed conflict for example.

Sure, but despite the millions earned, or even because of it, I can understand someone with a young family wanting to spend more time at home. I travelled extensively on business during my son's early life (my wife says I was never there) and although I enjoyed it and it gave us some relative prosperity I do now regret it.

Sorry Francis but it makes me laugh when people talk about the 'pressure' on multimillionaire sportsmen.
Hmm…

I can appreciate the 'pressure' but I certainly can't feel the slightest bit sympathetic.

When Jenson's future was in doubt a year or so ago, he said during an interview "don't feel sorry for me…" and he was right, he knew he's been one of the very fortunate few. Lewis, I think he's a likeable enough chap but I can really do without the entourage and the sulks.

Hmm…

I can appreciate the 'pressure' but I certainly can't feel the slightest bit sympathetic.

When Jenson's future was in doubt a year or so ago, he said during an interview "don't feel sorry for me…" and he was right, he knew he's been one of the very fortunate few. Lewis, I think he's a likeable enough chap but I can really do without the entourage and the sulks.

Yes Lewis does do sulk well, and while it's not a likeable characteristic I can understand it from a character for whom winning is all. Nigel Mansell was an even bigger whiner. I'm prepared to put up with all all that for what they do on track.

I can't remember many Nico great racing moments, ironically the move on Max in Abu Dhabi in his last F1 race was probably his best. But I can remember many Lewis racing moments. For me the most outstanding was his move overtaking TWO cars through Becketts in GP2 the year before he got his MacLaren F1 drive (and that was for position not lapping). That was something else. The fact that most of the F1 crews were on the pitwall to watch him that day speaks volumes

Sure, but despite the millions earned, or even because of it, I can understand someone with a young family wanting to spend more time at home. I travelled extensively on business during my son's early life (my wife says I was never there) and although I enjoyed it and it gave us some relative prosperity I do now regret it.

Yep I get that, it was the pressure bit I was questioning. Pressure to perform or you get sacked and live out your days in total luxury. It's not exactly life or death, is it?

When it comes to travel I mix with a few young tour pros doing what I'm now doing. One or two have memtioned how hard it is living in hotels for much of the year. I've spent 8 or 9 months away from home in past years, none in hotels. Before they say how tough it is perhaps they should go live in a tent in the desert for 4 or 5 months. Truth is most top sportsmen are utterly pampered these days. When people are talking about Hamilton's sulky behaviour, that's the result.

Lewis plus Fernando = previous history [emoji23]

I'm sure Toto would welcome that like a hole in the head :shocked:
But they appear to genuinely be mates now based on their press conferences together.

With them at Merc it would be a global PR supernova for the brand. It really would reinvigorate interest in F1 and if Bernie still had any power I'm sure he would be trying to make this happen.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lewis may sulk occasionally but he is the most outstanding racer of this generation. I have also seen him patiently spend two hours with a group of karting kids giving them all the time they wanted. Not every global superstar does such things.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yep I get that, it was the pressure bit I was questioning. Pressure to perform or you get sacked and live out your days in total luxury. It's not exactly life or death, is it?

When it comes to travel I mix with a few young tour pros doing what I'm now doing. One or two have memtioned how hard it is living in hotels for much of the year. I've spent 8 or 9 months away from home in past years, none in hotels. Before they say how tough it is perhaps they should go live in a tent in the desert for 4 or 5 months. Truth is most top sportsmen are utterly pampered these days. When people are talking about Hamilton's sulky behaviour, that's the result.

That's a massive sweeping statement.

I can take you down to our Gymnastics club and show you elite performers who have never been on TV, have no sponsors but have been training for 15 years 37hpurs a week and won't get paid until / if they reach the GB squad. Even if they do reach that level they won't be living large.
Swimmers, divers, runners, need I go on?

The pressure to perform on our elite level is to do in 30-180 seconds everything you have trained for for +15-20 years wih 10,000 people watching and a few million worldwide on TV. Most soldiers I know amd work with can't stand up and talk without crushing nerves in front of a room of their peers. I have been in war zones, slept in tents, and been in action with our Navy and had two occasions where I was absolutely resigned to dying but that 'pressure' was curiously felt only after I survived. You can't play top trumps with those kind of experiences.

The only pampered sports people are the celebrity ones who happen to have wound up in sports followed by enormous numbers of idiot 'fans' who buy loads of crap they don't need off the back of that sport.

football - any adult in a replica football shirt needs to have a serious word with themselves
Golf - yet another set of clubs and pimp look alike clothes won't make your game any better
formula one - shaving with 16 blades at a time and wear a mechanical watch like the one painted on my glove will make you drive like me...

I was a guest at Macclesfield Town vs. Oxford Utd last night, no prima donnas or prawn sandwiches there just honest working pro footballers who play almost a different sport to the EPL.

For my sins I, like Nico, followed a high achieving father into a sport (I buried him this year with his shirt and he went still holding his world record he set as an amateur)

What Nico he will be feeling is the same as Damon Hill. Relief and closure that he can now move on and be his own person having Been there done that in the sport daddy chose for him.

I don't begrudge him anything

That is a great perspective and I can relate to his retirement as a result - Thanks.

Father pressure !!! ( I was the father )

Not entirely sure one of them had to go though that will make life a bit easier for Toto next year, but agree with the rest of what you wrote. I've been reading some quite idiotic posts on the BBC News website. The vitriol to both drivers is quite amazing. I think very few of us have any idea of the pressure on the drivers, the constant travelling, PR work etc. You could see it with Jenson that he just wanted to get his life back. When Brundle asked him on the grid what was he going to miss he replied with something like "only the bit that comes in the next 2 hours" ie the racing.

I am happy for Nico that he got his championship. He deserves it. Sure he had some luck, but he worked hard for it. Neither Damon or Nigel were the best drivers of their era, but they too stuck at it and to a large extent lucked in by having the best cars and were both deserved champions. Nico is no different.

However - whatever your opinion of Lewis, he really IS quick AND a racer. Different level, as is young Max.

Best for the future Nico and enjoy your family.

none of us enjoys all of our work or every minute of it Francis !!! but we do it and we tend not to moan so openly as some of these guys do , perhaps some of them need to grow up a little and check their bank balance before whining too often :thumbsup:

That's a massive sweeping statement.

I can take you down to our Gymnastics club and show you elite performers who have never been on TV, have no sponsors but have been training for 15 years 37hpurs a week and won't get paid until / if they reach the GB squad. Even if they do reach that level they won't be living large.
Swimmers, divers, runners, need I go on?

No you needn't go on, I said millionaire sportsmen talking about the pressure to perform and how rough living away from home in 5 and 6 star hotels is. None of what you've said applies to what I was talking about. I too have been in a bunker waiting to see how close the mortar falls and don't think that's particularly close to what pilots or front line infantry go through. No your average soldier isn't a fantastic orator but then that's not what we pay them for, is it?

I also don't begrudge Nico a thing, he's a talented young guy and he's done well :thumbsup:

Last edited:
...the trouble is you and I don't live with a mic under our noses 24-7 they live in a world where someone wants every waking minute of their lives so you hear stuff you never heard from celebs and icons even ten years ago. Even when they are not 'on' they have to be on guard as everyone these days is like a Cold War spy carried recording devices and minature cameras.

You hear things from sports people nowadays that you never ever heard before - it used to just be about the game now we need to see if they can cook a soufflé on life TV... so guess what some of us are disappointed when they turn out to be human after all. I know Olympians who are right arrogant moaning gits and ones that are happy go lucky. We all imagine what we would be like with the talent, the money the fame, the glamour, but when we see what comes with it and the reality that drives in behaviour it bursts a bubble.

Thankfully we are losing religious mumbo jumbo and superstition from our lives but it seems that secular society has replaced some innate need for gods by the cult of celebrity.

I dont get it but then I have never been much of a follower of anything really.

Last edited:
...the trouble is you and I don't live with a mic under our noses 24-7 they live in a world where someone wants every waking minute of their lives so you hear stuff you never heard from celebs and icons even ten years ago. Even when they are not 'on' they have to be on guard as everyone these days is like a Cold War spy carried recording devices and minature cameras.

You hear things from sports people nowadays that you never ever heard before - it used to just be about the game now we need to see if they can cook a soufflé on life TV... so guess what some of us are disappointed when they turn out to be human after all. I know Olympians who are right arrogant moaning gits and ones that are happy go lucky. We all imagine what we would be like with the talent, the money the fame, the glamour, but when we see what comes with it and the reality that drives in behaviour it bursts a bubble.

Thankfully we are losing religious mumbo jumbo and superstition from our lives but it seems that secular society has replaced some innate need for gods by the cult of celebrity.

I dont get it but then I have never been much of a follower of anything really.

Why are you thankful that " we're losing our religious mumbo jumbo":hmmm: its not for you to decide what people should believe in:thumbsdow

I'm with Pete & Nigel on this, there's a saying that if you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen and if anyone wants to pay me £88,000,000 and I can live in a tax haven then you can put the microphone under my lip or up my bum:shocked: