What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Z4, Boxster, or...?

I've emailed the dealer that was selling the spider I viewed last week to see if the roof has now been fixed, and to ask whether the air con actually works considering the service history..... not that I've decided anything, I'm just checking!

I'm looking at the £30k bracket as well, funnily enough at Granturismos and V8 Vantages! What about an E90 V8 M3? Or Jaguar XK?

The M3 makes a lot of sense to me

Never even thought about an M3. :)

Don't worry about the hijack - happy to talk various car options!

As a V8V owner, I'm glad to see it mentioned on a couple of peoples lists. I don't think you should need to pay ~£32k for a 70k mile example though - that's about what I paid for mine almost 2 years ago, and that had 35k miles on it. I would expect mine to be worth about that now and it's at 41k miles.

Big miles are not a major concern for them - the engines are pretty bullet proof. But be aware that if you buy one and it needs a clutch, it will hurt you badly. On a £30k car, it will be 10% of that.......

When I bought mine, I expected niggling faults and wondered how long I'd keep it. After almost two years of ownership, I've found it just as reliable as any other car I've owned (including the 996 turbo it replaced) and wish I'd known I would like it this much, in which case I would have bought newer.

£3k for a clutch. Wow, that figure right there put me off a Gallardo as an alternative to the 360. I was told that was the price of a clutch for one.

Back to the subject of Alfas, my heart is still saying Spider - however, I'm going on a fairly long drive north over the weekend and there is a prodrive Brera that is only a 30 mile diversion, and it's only just had the timing chain replaced (they stretch). It's more than I really wanted to spend - at least for a car which has a roof - but I am tempted to see it. However, I suspect I'll conclude that I really don't need to turn a 4 hour journey into a 5 hour journey.

I have heard of stretching timing chains. I thought Maserati 4200's did similar. That Prodrive Brera does sound good. Is the prodrive a V6?

According to the ad, no - it's not the v6 - still the 2.2 but with better suspension etc.

Which in reality I think makes it too expensive.

An update to my potential frivolous purchase - that my head knows I should not even be considering!

Got a reply from the dealer this morning - roof has been fixed (flap motors replaced) at a cost of ~£500. He assures me the air con works, but obviously I would check.
I asked on another forum for recommendations of local places to get one serviced (this one would need a service immediately) - and by coincidence there is a place a couple of miles from where I work, which would be very handy - so I went to chat to them at lunchtime.

They said that the model I'm looking at was very solid - in fact, they advised to stay well away from the 3.2 V6. The said the Spider roof doesn't leak - they've never had one in that leaked. Annual service ~£250. I mentioned the timing chain stretch issue, and he said it was good I knew about it - typically happens around the 40k-50k mile mark (exactly where this car is as it happens!) - and that replacing the chain is ~£1500.
The one other issue to look out for apparently is the handbrake. If you have problems with the handbrake cable, it's such a great design (runs under the carpet) that you're looking at 4 hours labour to sort it out - seat has to be removed etc!

It didn't really seem particularly bad news, and I would certainly be happy to take a new purchase there - very helpful guys.

In reality - with tax, insurance and service - I reckon I have to assume the car will cost me ~£600 within a week of buying it.

Having said that - and having seen it - it seems like a pretty well priced car. It is much better than the other Spider I saw - both are the same age, but the one I'm tempted by is much better condition with 48k vs 76k miles - even though you're paying about £1k more for that. But it also compares very well against other spider ads - some with similar mileage are a few k more, and it's hard to see what you're getting for that considering I can't find much wrong with this one. A newly fixed roof is a big plus for me too.

My thought process at the moment is that it seems a well priced decent car, March is a reasonable time to be buying a Spider and if the worst comes to the worst and I decide it was a stupid idea, it should be much easier to sell in a few months time - even if I take a hit of £1k-2k for the experience.

Feel free to tell me this is a stupid idea! (My friends have, but I'm ignoring them - with the exception of one who keeps assuring me that I should actually be buying 2 cars).

I think that it's a great choice. I get the impression that it is the car that you will always enjoy looking at. You have the funds to go for it, so just do it! Life is too short................

Nope....sounds like a great idea:grin: i have driven the 2.2 and its plenty for the car, good fun too. Be thankful if you get 30mpg but if your right foots like mine 20.....ish.
Looks like the only person you're trying to to justify it is yourself. Even if you keep it for 6months and move it on its going to be a small cost.

Besides...... Its sunny outside, and youve just lost a day:laugh:

Nope....sounds like a great idea:grin: i have driven the 2.2 and its plenty for the car, good fun too. Be thankful if you get 30mpg but if your right foots like mine 20.....ish.
Looks like the only person you're trying to to justify it is yourself. Even if you keep it for 6months and move it on its going to be a small cost.

Besides...... Its sunny outside, and youve just lost a day:laugh:

20-ish??????

The slim justification I was giving myself was : At least it will do almost 30mpg, which is twice what my other cars do! :tongue3:

OK, so nobody has talked me out of it - I've arranged to see the car for the second time tonight. I'm taking a friend so that I have somebody who's objective - although he is repeatedly telling me to buy it anyway so probably won't be much help!

My head says : view the car again today, sleep on it over the weekend and decide on Monday. My heart says otherwise and I raided the cashpoint this morning so I could leave a few hundred £ deposit tonight if I want to.

And here's some really good man logic - it genuinely did occur to me as I was driving to work :

Tomorrow, I'm driving to Newcastle (back on Sunday) so a 300 mile / 5 hour trip each way and I was debating which car to use. The logical choice is really the Porsche - comfortable, don't care about the mileage, don't care if it's squeezed into the travelodge car park etc.
But the car I will probably take is the Vantage - it could do with a long run, and I'm really looking forward to taking it - albeit on boring motorways. But I do have a few reservations on putting 600 miles on the car in one weekend when I generally only do ~3k miles a year anyway (although it's insured for much more).
But if I bought a 4th car, then the mileage on the Vantage would obviously be less for the remainder of the year anyway. So it all works out perfectly. :)
(Since it's a Ferrari forum, the reason I'm not taking the 360 is because the weather looks OK but not great - and although it did a fabulous job in Europe last year, I fancy a bit more comfort this weekend!).

I'm a little envious at all your cars and the potential Spider.
Is it Autolusso by any chance you have been speaking to? They are very good but then so are many others. I just know they are.

The handbrake cable thing. That might be me, I do know one of my rear calipers is sticking on occasion (not currently) and last MOT the handbrake was only 16% I think. Which just passed. The cable as you say is awkwardly routed if it needs replacing. I'm hoping it is just my rear calipers seized because that's an easy fix for me to do.

Are friends telling you not to buy a 4th car (not proper petrolheads then :D) or not to buy an Alfa (not proper petrolheads then :D)?

Good luck for this evening and if you buy it, for me at least you must post pictures.

I'm a little envious at all your cars and the potential Spider.
Is it Autolusso by any chance you have been speaking to? They are very good but then so are many others. I just know they are.

The handbrake cable thing. That might be me, I do know one of my rear calipers is sticking on occasion (not currently) and last MOT the handbrake was only 16% I think. Which just passed. The cable as you say is awkwardly routed if it needs replacing. I'm hoping it is just my rear calipers seized because that's an easy fix for me to do.

Are friends telling you not to buy a 4th car (not proper petrolheads then :D) or not to buy an Alfa (not proper petrolheads then :D)?

Good luck for this evening and if you buy it, for me at least you must post pictures.

The service place I spoke to is Alfanatic. Seemed good guys.

If it wasn't for your suggestion, I think I would have given up on the idea before this - I suspect I would have decided that the Z4 / Boxster etc. just weren't interesting enough and lived with what I had. But the Alfa really does appeal to me - it's different enough to make it interesting, and I think it's a "sensible" choice - as sensible as it could be anyway!

The friends thing is funny. One (a girl, but not a girlfriend) is definitely a petrol head - if I was buying a Supra she'd definitely think it was a good idea. But I've got a few mails from her with statements like "A 4th car? Listen to yourself!!!" - in capitals - so I think she definitely doesn't approve!

Yep, if I do buy it I'll definitely take pics once I get it home. :)

Went for the second viewing this evening with my friend.

As we were pulling up, first impressions were positive. When I viewed it the first time it was parked front in to a garage - plenty of room to walk around it but hard to look from a distance. Today, it was parked outside and facing us as we drove up to it - those headlights do look fabulous from the front.

Had a good look around the car. It really is in excellent condition - few stone chips at the front but really very few marks on the body, interior or wheels.
Everything worked, including the roof and air con.
Only 'faults' we found were that the front pads don't have a huge amount of life in them, the rears are better although clearly not new. There is also some marking on the back of the passenger head rest - looks like the roof has caught it in the past. However, it felt like it was black marks 'on' the silver rather than scratches so they may clean off. If not, getting them repainted would be trivial.

So, at this point it was time for the test drive - so far the impression was very positive. The test drive was a big surprise to me though.
I was expecting a fairly low sitting car, and fully expected to be underwhelmed by the power and find the drive was noisy even with the roof up. Basically, the purpose of the test drive was to see if I could live with my preconceived short comings given the other positives the car had.
But that turned out not to be the case. The clutch was a little high, but I was surprised at how quick it was in the first few gears. OK, on a dual carriageway if you put your foot down at 70mph it's not exactly instant power - but it was much quicker than I was expecting.
The other surprise was it's behaviour at speed. It was perfectly quiet - if I'd closed my eyes I honestly would have believed I was in a hard top coupe rather than a spider.
Exhaust sound was lovely, great sporty growl.
I was expecting it to feel like a compromise and it really didn't. In fact, it changed me from : I want a spider but it's not a sensible choice and I should buy the Brera, to : why on earth would I choose the Brera?

Needless to say, I now have a deposit on it. :)

Last edited:
Collected last night.

Clutch bites a bit higher than I like, so not mastered smooth pull aways yet! It's very light though, so guess it's not worn out. It's lovely to drive - I like it far more than I expected to (although I already found that out on the test drive). Sounds lovely, and feels far quicker than the paper figures suggest. Really very pleased I bought it.

20170314_065332.jpg
20170314_070528.jpg
20170314_070615.jpg
20170314_070655.jpg

Really happy you decided on the Spider. Looking at that makes me want one more.

Enjoy it, but as Ron says, are you going really leave that in a supermarket car park?... :laugh:

Let's say - I will still look for 'safe' parking spaces first - so at the supermarket it will still be parked where the Aston / ferrari would be rather than the Cayenne. But I'll be more willing to use it to go places where I might not have that choice. :wink3: