What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

2019 'CS Weekender' tour dates & Locations

swnyradar

Having thoroughly enjoyed our foray over the border last weekend, thoughts turn to next year already :).

Here's some comments / questions / opinions from me:

If we are to have 2 again in 2019, I think the times of year work perfectly (due to weather, traffic volumes and it's a perfect start & end to the driving season) i.e. 1st one Late April/early May, 2nd one Mid September.

2 questions :

1. Do folks want another Welsh weekend? (which I'm more than happy to start planning but also don't mind if both are elsewhere).
2. If so, do we want to keep it as the first one of the year or move it to September and do something else first.

There was much discussion during last weekend around possible different locations / formats (e.g. airfield hire including coned corners and instructor - track days deemed too risky?) .

Some alternative locations mentioned:

• Peak District (blanket speed limits and heavily policed?)
  • Yorkshire Dales
  • Exmoor / Dartmmor / Devon / Dorset.
  • Longer weekend - Scotland / Europe (likely lower participation and mileage concerns for some)

Some learnings from experience:

• For the April/May event, we need to start looking at hotels in the next couple of months to secure enough rooms.
  • Places should be limited to 20 cars max per event.
  • IMO - All participants should be paid up members of CS.

Lastly - I dont think this should turn into a big debate - it just needs a volunteer (you already have one for Wales here) to grasp an area and run with it. I started this thread as I don't want to assume that everyone wants to come to Wales again (although I have many different routes we've yet to explore:wink3:).

My two cents,

- Two a year I think works well, and split early and later in the year;
- I'm happy anywhere. Wales was great fun and more than happy to do it again; even if you do all speak funny! Somewhere else would also be great. (I don't care about mileage much. I'm past the point where it matters!)
- I'm keen to do at least one "track day" next year; but with the emphasis on learning the car not the track. (I can then figure out how worried I should have been up Fish Hill :shocked:) I'll contact Castle Coombe re. our own track day as its spitting distance from my house. If we go that way, I'm happy to organise.
- I think your learning from experience is spot on. I'd add that everybody should have a satnav of some description and or suitable route notes.

Out of curiosity, as we cant be the only club organising this type of thing, are there any websites/books etc. where we can "get/share" routes etc. Might make it easier if we want to go somewhere where nobody is resident/limit the load on those organising?

(Thanks for starting the thread, good idea :thumbsup:)

[emoji106]

Two a year....pick the dates now so.people can hold dates but agree with Mike’s dates avoiding holidays.....subscribed members only if nothing else to cover some minor costs (window stickers)....I’m ok with anywhere as the location is just a part of the whole.......compulsory navs or accept getting left behind......happy the help with organisation.....maybe non-red cars only :D

I’ve looked at the Peak District and don’t write off too quick.

I really enjoyed both this year and also think 2 a year is perfect but at least one is a must.

I am not bothered about mileage much either as I don't drive the car enough anyway. So willing to travel. Wales is good but happy for alternatives. Last week was a bit Jammy with the Hotel being in my home town but obviously I felt too comfortable with amusing results.:tongue3:

Early days of CS there was a Peak District drive but that was over 10 years ago now and so things may have changed. But I do remember it being good although some of the roads were a bit rough.
Dartmoor/Exmoor would be good but imagine some may not want to travel that extra distance from the northern areas. (North of Bristol:laugh:) We don't have many, if any members down there so would be quite neutral.
Also up for a track day or similar type of event.

As for dates, for me, we will be away late April (19th) to early May [first week] and then possibly in September around the 14th. Its our wedding anniversary.

I'm up for both wherever they are. As always date dependent. My brother in law who lives in Bermuda has a client who has a house in Venice and we are committed to a week there in May though no date yet. Will probably drive there and make a 2 week trip based on sis in law in Switzerland. Planning a 2 week trip to Spain in GT4 early Sept and have a family reunion in Glos on weekend of 28th Sept.

But had so much fun this weekend I'm up for any trip if I can fit it in, and will probably persuade my wife to come next time. Scotland sounds good - my home country - and Mon could advise us.

My two cents,

- Two a year I think works well, and split early and later in the year;
- I'm happy anywhere. Wales was great fun and more than happy to do it again; even if you do all speak funny! Somewhere else would also be great. (I don't care about mileage much. I'm past the point where it matters!)
- I'm keen to do at least one "track day" next year; but with the emphasis on learning the car not the track. (I can then figure out how worried I should have been up Fish Hill :shocked:) I'll contact Castle Coombe re. our own track day as its spitting distance from my house. If we go that way, I'm happy to organise.
- I think your learning from experience is spot on. I'd add that everybody should have a satnav of some description and or suitable route notes.

Out of curiosity, as we cant be the only club organising this type of thing, are there any websites/books etc. where we can "get/share" routes etc. Might make it easier if we want to go somewhere where nobody is resident/limit the load on those organising?

(Thanks for starting the thread, good idea :thumbsup:)

If there's time it would be good for Mac users to send their satnavs to someone with a PC to upload the route, though the radios worked really well.

I really enjoyed both this year and also think 2 a year is perfect but at least one is a must.

I am not bothered about mileage much either as I don't drive the car enough anyway. So willing to travel.

A my car is 40 years old and currently on 73K miles I too am not bothered about mieleage:)

I'm up for both wherever they are. As always date dependent. My brother in law who lives in Bermuda has a client who has a house in Venice and we are committed to a week there in May though no date yet. Will probably drive there and make a 2 week trip based on sis in law in Switzerland. Planning a 2 week trip to Spain in GT4 early Sept and have a family reunion in Glos on weekend of 28th Sept.

But had so much fun this weekend I'm up for any trip if I can fit it in, and will probably persuade my wife to come next time. Scotland sounds good - my home country - and Mon could advise us.

In terms of Scotland, I can definitely help with routes to maximise the fun, and also decent hotels. Avoid June-August IMO, May is normally a good time to go for weather and less tourists.

IMO avoid the concept of the NC500 - some of the roads yes, but not the whole thing as it's not brilliant.

IMG_3757-1200x800.jpg

I was up here with the FOC last weekend, there's a fabulous hotel just off shot to the left. Amazing roads to get there too

In terms of Scotland, I can definitely help with routes to maximise the fun, and also decent hotels. Avoid June-August IMO, May is normally a good time to go for weather and less tourists.

IMO avoid the concept of the NC500 - some of the roads yes, but not the whole thing as it's not brilliant.

View attachment 153436

I was up here with the FOC last weekend, there's a fabulous hotel just off shot to the left. Amazing roads to get there too

Now that's a view Gordon:shocked:
Stunning

I am keen to attend. Wales was epic and would be very happy to go again. (I was gutted that I had to drop out of last weekends event as I had some sort of virus, especially as it was around my home patch :( )

I think location wise we should avoid the extremities of the UK, as a lot of people would end up with a very long and boring motorway trip to get to the start. E.G Scotland has some epic roads but a 4/5/6 hour drive to get there, and the same to get back could make a Sat/Sun event into 4 day event for some people. I might be wrong but having a two day event in a more central location, with a nice overnight Hotel/meal/social aspect with everyone, makes it more attractive to our passengers.

Track visit or drag racing on a runway would be perfect, but very difficult/expensive to arrange :(

And yes make it paid up members only.

My views

2 events is spot on I think. there's no doubt the welsh trips have been fantastic and I'd love to do another but having been involved with the Autumn Cotswolds run I'm well aware of the amount time and effort involved in organising and managing the event and also a certain amount of stress ensuring we stick to the time plan and everybody enjoys themselves also asking Mike to do another is IMHO a big ask.

I did try hard with the route planning in the Cotswolds to find suitable roads and avoid traffic and I'd say we were pretty fortunate given the nice weather and typical busyness of the area. It has to be a major factor in deciding where to go so the driving can be enjoyed at a reasonable pace and there is a good chance to keep the group together.

For other areas we need to be mindful of the time to travel i.e. I'd love to do Scotland but the reality is that it's a full days travel to get to a point north of Glasgow and if we want to go further afield e.g. Wester ross it is two days to get there, doing a day and a half touring would then seem a bit short for the effort to get there and of course 2 days back again.

I would absolutely be up for organising a Euro tour but again due to travel time you have to be realistic, to make it worthwhile it probably needs to be a minimum of 4 days for a tour round Northern France and if you want to make it worthwhile and get into to the Ardennes/Alps/ Black Forest for some great scenery and lovely roads you need to allow 6-7 days, below is a link to a trip I organised last September which you could do in 6 Days assuming you can get across the channel and 3 hours travel the otherside on the first day plus it's a long day home on the last day so 7 days is probably more realistic

http://www.collinsclan.co.uk/Roadbook.pdf

It’s interesting what Mark says about the stress of organising what appears to be just a bunch of cars driving about and having a nice social evening in between. I fully understand that you feel responsible for everyone enjoyment of the weekend. While I assisted in some small way by looking over the routes I could have taken a much more active role in helping. The hotel was on my doorstep for instance.

I also understand Mike D. suggesting that he may not organise another Welsh weekend for next year due to the effort it takes. I think most of us think it’s just plotting some routes , find a suitable hotel and away we go. Which also makes it a little frustrating when people decide to shortcut the route.
So.. would it be an idea if a subcommittee was formed to organise events such as these. That way the work and stress is shared between an enthusiastic group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Organising events is a lot of work and when it goes well, like the two weekends we have been on, it looks effortless. But having organised the odd corporate event, I full appreciate how much hard work is involved and what an absolute pain in the ass they can be!

A few additional thoughts:
- if we did a European trip, perhaps let’s pay somebody to organise it for us? (Once we decide where/when!)
- I think the format has been great; but perhaps we could have one that is less formal to take the load off. Ie, here’s the route, we are starting here at x o’clock, lunch here at y o’clock and hotel here, dinner at z o’clock.; the rest is up to you to follow the route/get lost/find your way back etc? Probably wouldn’t be quite as enjoyable but a bit easier for whomever volunteers to organise?
- my local foc organises a Welsh weekend differently; even less formal. They just base themselves out of a hotel for the weekend and do what they like each day. Different; and to be honest what I have enjoyed the most is the “spirited” driving in convoy, so probably not something for me.

Right back to painting the kitchen!!!!

I’m always happy to help out and completely agree with the comments so far. I’ve always done the easy bit!
I like the idea of a sub-committee but meeting would be quite difficult unless we use conferencing.

The four weekends so far have all been brilliant and why I bought my car [emoji106]

I think we’ll struggle with a longer trip with numbers so maybe they can be informal and spur of the moment....eg I’m off the the highlands next week does anyone fancy it.
FWIW I was close to 700 miles last weekend and over 200 to the start.

I think for next year we should lock the dates down and once we have a decent consensus people can plan around them.

I’d suggest 27/28 April or 11/12 May for the early one.....Easter weekend is late April next year (20-22) and Sept 14/15 (if that avoids the Revival again).
Personally the late one might be tricky for me as we have a big celebration late August with probably a holiday afterwards but if I know when it is I can plan around it.

I’ve had a look at the high peak area and there is a lot of potential if we accept a couple of the famous roads have average speed cameras.
It’s also quite a small area with some tight roads but I’ll get out and drive a lot of it over the winter to make sure there is enough there.
The dales are fine for me but maybe a bit far for many? Again some stunning scenery.

My husband and I (sorry, that makes me sound like the Queen!) would love to join any weekender subject to dates, it'd be nice to get to know some of you. I have road books for routes in various places that would need a bit of tweaking (fords & farmyards not popular with supercar owners) and am happy to assist anyone with planning if needed.

- if we did a European trip, perhaps let’s pay somebody to organise it for us? (Once we decide where/when!)

I would thoroughly recommend European Driving Tours - Mark & Alison's knowledge of European routes and their attention to detail is fantastic. We've just got back from their Supercars & Superpasses tour which was brilliantly planned, we even got a 'down day' which just about preserved our sanity. http://www.europeandrivingtours.co.uk

I think for next year we should lock the dates down and once we have a decent consensus people can plan around them.

I’d suggest 27/28 April or 11/12 May for the early one.....Easter weekend is late April next year (20-22) and Sept 14/15 (if that avoids the Revival again).
Personally the late one might be tricky for me as we have a big celebration late August with probably a holiday afterwards but if I know when it is I can plan around it.

Revival is now confirmed as 13th-15th Sept for 2019 so ideally it would be on a different weekend

I'm not sure I'm as easy as Mark, :laugh: but happy with any date, although a little air gap from summer holidays would be useful, so 21/22 Sept works.

Re locations are we narrowing this down to peaks (pending Mikes recie)/wales/west country? I can assist with the later and have found some routes on the www that need to be checked out :grin:)

Again, easy on location and will try and make both weekends wherever it is. (Can you do polls on this site?)