What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

348 DIY "Restoration"

Decided to change my phase sensor so ordered one from Maranello

IMG_3832.jpg

Just to cover myself in case I find oil in there I bought a replacement housing gasket and oil seal

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

With the air box removed and out the way it's just 3 x 8mm nuts to remove

IMG_3833.jpg

Its a bit awkward with other things around it so once I'd used a ratchet to crack off the nut I just used the socket in my fingers to get them off.

IMG_3834.jpg

IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

There's also a washer too so make sure you get that off too so it doesn't get lost.

IMG_3838.jpg

Once the 3 of them are off it's a case of pulling the cap off - I actually needed 2 hands to do it as it requires some force and rocking slightly from side to side to get it going.

IMG_3839.jpg

The phase sensor actually comes as 2 pieces but I decided to leave the inner part alone as it's a none wear part and a case of it ain't broke so don't fix it. I ws only going to remove this if I found oil in which case I would be replacing the housing gasket and oil seal too.

IMG_3840.jpg

Final step is to unplug the electrical connector.

IMG_3841.jpg

When i put the new and old side by side I noticed that the lead on teh new one is a lot shorter and I was thinking I might be in trouble but it proved to be a non issue as there's plenty of spare capcity lead wise.

IMG_3842.jpg

Just 2 x 3mm allan key scres to remove

IMG_3843.jpg

Pic of the back for comparison

IMG_3844.jpg

The other difference is there a rubber grommet in the new one to seal the pass through point in the housing - old one didn't have this.

IMG_3850.jpg

I cleaned the cap up with brake cleaner and gave it a coat of aluminum look paint

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

All back together and looking shiny. Car started and ran just fine afterwards :)

IMG_3851.jpg

Since owning the car I've never had those little blue plugs in my MAFs however I noticed they are "in stock" so decided to order just one to see what they look like.

Rather than some kind of rubber or plastic bung I got a metal "anti tamper plug" with a compression ring round it.

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

This is the MAF without anything

IMG_3853.jpg

And with the plug in place - hope I never have to remove it!!!

IMG_3855.jpg

Cheers for sharing Jeff. :thumbsup:

I know one day I'm going to need half of the items you've done on your thread, I just hope when I do you can point me to the right pages :)

Oh dear - I cant even find half them myself these days! LOL

Anyway, found out something interesting about my car this week whilst browsing the service history...

1st owner was Derek Cook the British racing driver from the 1970's and who went on to found the car dealership chain DC Cook

Derek Cook - Wikipedia

Sadly passed away in 2005 in a car accident.

BBC NEWS | England | South Yorkshire | Car dealer dies in motoring crash

Derek Cook dies in car crash (motortrader.com)

The original registration on my car was "2 WYN" so I wonder whether it was actually his wife's car as she was called Winnie.

IMG_3875.jpg

On a slightly happier note I gave teh car a good wash and polish after its outing to the show last weekend :)

IMG_3862.jpg

Last edited:
Amazingly cool, Jeff. Your hunch has got to be right. Too much of a coincidence, surely.

On a similar note, as a kid at 15 I lived in Esher, in Surrey. A couple of blokes moved into a house next door, and for about 2 years when my brother and I scrambled to 'walk the dog' after dinner each night (teenager-speak for: late night cigarette and Mum will never suspect), we'd regularly bump into them with the Brazilian bloke's own dog, and discuss girls, cars and toys (he was the 1st person I'd ever met with a remote controlled petrol helicopter, ergo: instantly cool). My Mum (RIP), it turns out, was not quite as naiieve as we'd both thought, and my Dad still has the Polaroids she took on the wall - 2 glowing cigarettes, 4 blokes, and no dogs. I then stumbled across a couple of old Kodak snaps whilst clearing out one of my stables last month, and it's now part of my shrine...(Esher Cricket Club, New Road/Martineau Close).

AS Esher.jpg

Ah very cool :)

Been away for the weekend and decided to take the car which ran just fine - even managed to bag a nice big wide parking spot opposite the hotel entrance so wasn't worrying about anything happening to it :)

IMG_3881.jpg

When I got back I managed to get a couple of shot of my new (still unfinished) cream interior - really pleased with it :)

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

You always worry about these things in case they are not genuine but I think I have Phil Hills autograph in my book. I've checked online for pics of teh same book and it's not on any others so I think it's legit.

IMG_3897.jpg

Further on in the book is John Surtees signature

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

On the opposite page there is some ink transfer so definitely not printed

IMG_3900.jpg

No idea whether they are valuable or not if not I wouldn't mind detaching the 2 pages from teh book and framing them for my wall but that may be sacrilege in some people's eyes! LOL

Quick favour to ask - from someone who has original seat belts that have never been refurbished or replaced....

I may of spoken too soon about the labels on my seat belts being wrong way up (they are but that may be how they are supposed to be!)

Here's a pic of my RH drive car where the labels on the seat belts face inwards and the horsey is upside down - can someone just confirm that is how it is supposed to be please???

Just about to send the belts back to add the correct brackets so want to confirm first :)

IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

Jeff - after you sent my OCD into a spiral of panic a few weeks ago, I can confirm that mine (which have never been replaced and are as they were in 94), are the right way up. I'll snap a pic and send it.

PS. Define: 1st world problem? :smileywav

Ok so just to confirm they should be on facing the inside (like mine) and the horse should be the right way up.

NB They've had to trim my badges a bit as they were frayed.

Ok so just to confirm they should be on facing the inside (like mine) and the horse should be the right way up.

NB They've had to trim my badges a bit as they were frayed.

Yes mate. Do you want me to take a few more photos in daylight? Happy to do so, and the last thing I want is for you to send your stuff back and give them duff info., just because we weren't thorough. Because let's face it...you're nothing if not thorough :)

I'm going to do it anyway. I won't sleep if I think I've given you duff information :wink3:

Please that would be great then I can send them your photos to show them how it should be (just in case there's any arguement).

If you can take 2 like mine from the opposite side of the cabin each time so there's enough surroundings so you can tell where it s that would be ideal - thank you!

This is obvious, but for the avoidance of doubt, I’ve labelled each.

1) driver’s side - belts face in, correct way up

593B2CED-3584-4FB0-B808-16C6405368D9.jpeg

2) driver’s side - label unseen from out

C9E599F8-5CD2-419F-800C-5D0885B82BAC.jpeg

3) driver’s side seen from opposite angle

161B7183-987A-496F-93B7-0B578C0FB77C.jpeg

4) passenger’s side from out

32DADEBF-4D41-47A8-9E96-031C33202F41.jpeg

5) passenger’s side from in

EE71B339-10FC-4FEE-A9EE-FECE203C96A8.jpeg

6) both labels - upright, inward

2EDB7520-9FF4-4D38-B9C6-66F33572A23D.jpeg

Also, if you want my therapist’s contact details, she’s great . I never thought seat belt labels would put me under so much pressure . Testament to your workmanship, Sir

***edit - not quite so obvious, when the photos are all pi$$£d - They were fine on my phone! Honest! Just turn them 90 degrees clockwise and blame my PTSD.

Last edited: