What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

355 light mods for track driving

redwedge

For one reason or another, my 355 has been sitting in a dry garage, unused, since I had my first child 5 years ago.

It's a (relatively) leggy one, with nearly 60k miles on the clock. I previously used it mainly for trips to Europe and for Sunday morning blasts, but with twins arriving imminently to take the tally up to four, we won't be going on holiday in a Ferrari for quite some time. I've also lost the love for B-road blasts - the roads are just too busy and, as I've grown older, I'm more aware of the risks you can put others in if you use a Ferrari as intended on the public road.

So, I'd like to bring the car back to life with a focus on circuit driving, the plan being to do track days in it. I'd appreciate some input from those of you who've done something similar previously. At the moment, my thoughts are:

Seats (something like a Sparco Evo) and harnesses (with harness bar rather than a cage)
Springs & dampers, hard to look beyond Nitron
Exhaust system - something that will pass a noise test, perhaps simplify and lighten the system by eliminating the valve.
Challenge wheels (I currently have a set in the loft)
Would appreciate thoughts on tyres for track use

Also, any recommendations for an indie to do the work? I'm in north London, so QV London are (I think) my nearest option. Haven't used them previously, but am aware of their good reputation on here.

The 355 was always my dream car as a kid and I do have another one tucked away in a Carcoon for road use in the unlikely event that I'll need it, so I don't mind some compromises on the track car.

KHPC & Damax in Brackley will also probably have done much similar work on cars for Ferrari Hill Climb

be interested to see what you do.

ive got brembo pads and not impressed with them. will be fitting ferodo this winter and see how i go. if that doesnt do it for me I’ll look to fit a big brake kit, ap or brembo.

Always a tough one because most road cars on track will wilt in two or three laps mainly due to brakes and tyres. In your case of the car has been standing a while I would also replace all engine related hoses for silicone and upgrade the brake lines as well as the pads and discs if needs be.

Tyre wise - see if you can get a modern more track orientated set.

In period and for the road the homologated tyre will have long since been left behind tech / construction wise so worth seeing what is available.

To get the best compromise between the track day set-up and actually driving it there. Go to a good motorsport orientated shop - like R&D in Eccles and ask for what used to be known as a fast road / hill climb set-up.

That will mean the car won’t break / fail on track and it will still be liveable with.

AP Racing brakes with Challenge wheels

Excellent thinking and I can help a little here having done this myself with great results.
Agree with the other posts, you need to focus on:

Cooling system integrity, replace ALL old hoses and clips.
Definitely upgrade brakes, I used AP Racing see photo attached, as the standard discs are way too small and thin regardless what pads you upgrade to.
Definitely use the 355 Challenge wheels with suitable track biased tyres of your choosing.
You will also need to upgrade the exhaust shielding over the drive shafts as the rubber gaiters will otherwise perish with the heat sink from track work
Check engine mounts and replace if required

I am happy to recommend Roger Collingwood at KHPC in Maidstone who did all of the above for me and is generally excellent with the 355 tipo.

Good luck and enjoy to the max!

Attachments

• RossoBarchetta 355GTS.jpg
    RossoBarchetta 355GTS.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 110
  • AP Racing.jpg
    AP Racing.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 108
FWIW...
brakes - try DS2500 or DS3000 pads and decent fluid as a start. otherwise, stop tech or others, budget depending.
Cooling- look at all the hoses and clamps- don't forget the ones in the front on the header hoses. \Modern alloy rads might be useful upgrade.
Wheels - avoid the challenge rims. They cost a ton, are old and difficult to refurb due to magnesium content. Pick up some decent ones with the right offsets (eg, OZ) that anyone can repair.
Tyres- remember the grippier the tyre, the more stress on other bits like steering, suspension, ball joints etc. Maybe worth just trying some decent road rubber first, and look at brands like Kuhmo in terms of bang for buck.
Suspension - check / replace bushes as needed. Look at engine and gearbox mounts also. How old are springs, shocks and ARBs?
Look at all your fuel lines also,
Get a cheap used bucket seat, fit a good fire extinguisher where you can reach it and go have fun!

Oh, Tim at Walkersport uses Mark and Lee at MDL near Birmingham for race prep.
They're a really good family run outfit and know the cars well.