What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Another 348 Rear End Resto!

Bah!

I study these restos , and you post up some photos, I think "Heh, thats cool, will add that to the list" and I go off and research, and prepare, and budget, and plot and plan - and then you chaps post up another series of pics taking it to another level - and I have to start again! :laugh:

Nice work Graham. I thought you were just going to swap the bumper? :laugh:

Preparation Prior to Yellow plating

Hi

Please could you explain how you prepare the metal parts prior to yellow plating, I had assumed that the plating company would do this for you. I would be really interested to hear how you prepped these parts.

Regards
Simon

The plater will run everything through an acid bath to remove any pre existing plating, oil, dirt etc. but if the components are rusty they should be blasted first. Zinc plating will not take well to rust from what I've seen in the past. The blasting can give a rough surface which is not great for finish so polishing
any surface defects out after is a good idea. The plating will not cover up anything. What you see is what you get. Ive hand polished what I could before
the process. As shown below. Final results were great.

Windows Phone_20140925_002.jpg

As Nick said...that's why I wished I'd spent a little more time on some of the items, but overall pleased with the results.

DSC06786.jpg

Not as shiny as Nick's :cry: but you can see why preparation is the key

DSC07513.jpg

Last edited:
The plater will run everything through an acid bath to remove any pre existing plating, oil, dirt etc. but if the components are rusty they should be blasted first. Zinc plating will not take well to rust from what I've seen in the past. The blasting can give a rough surface which is not great for finish so polishing
any surface defects out after is a good idea. The plating will not cover up anything. What you see is what you get. Ive hand polished what I could before
the process. As shown below. Final results were great.

View attachment 139057

Many thanks I feel some polishing coming on.

Regards

Simon

The plating looks great..This is the zinc that I had done for my Mexico by Aerotech in Bolton..I think they charged me £40 for this lot...just don't tell them what its off if you do go. :grin:

Attachments

• 003-27.jpg
    003-27.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 267
Thanks for that
It was just that the anti roll bar bushing I got last week from super performance were more like a deep red colour and the holding brackets were out of stock so just tarted them back up.
Mind you when I took all the old bushings off they were in a very bad state, some just crumbled up.

Sweet now though, took it out today to collect turkey from the farm in Bridgnorth, even got to choose which one I wanted:grin::grin:
Merry christmas:presents1:

So back to spending time in the garage and just a quick query if anyone can help me.

As Im doing my cam seals, obviously the cams have to be taken out. Ive marked the cams, wheels, belts as much as I can but Im just wondering when I re-install, the cams will need to be turned individually to line up with the original marks. Now although they line up, could a fraction of a mm make a difference to the cam belt running over it, i.e. it could potentially be a little tight or loose as it runs over the two adjacent cam wheels...or am I worrying too much again?

You can see in the photos before I took my cams out the two cam marks didn't directly line up with the bearing marks...hence my query!

DSC07795.jpgDSC07796.jpg

Things starting to come together now.

Had my local engineering shop do the cam seals for me to avoid me messing it up.

DSC07801.jpg

Also noticed someone had cut straight through the anti-roll bar bush housing to remove the previous one and filled it with gunk, so had them re-weld it

DSC07803.jpg

Had new threaded inserts installed in the cam covers as the originals all seemed a bit worn

DSC07804.jpg

Another query for you all. I ordered the electrical cover Part No 107003 and you can see its much smaller than my original, especially the internal diameter. They say that there's no alternative so any ideas where I might be able to get something similar in size to my original?

DSC07810.jpg

Some more shiny bits :grin:

DSC07856.jpg

DSC07858.jpg

I was a little dissapointed with the oil tank. Its textured but a little too shiny for my liking.

DSC07812.jpg

Not much happening on the build due to a damaged back but I did get my header tank back today which Im pleased with, especially the new stickers.

I didn't want it shot blast due to the thin gauge of steel so my local body shop sorted this one out for me.

DSC08079.jpg

Graham, it's coming along great. Your oil tank looks good to me. Had a quick check on mine which hasn't been done yet but your finish looks the same.:thumbsup:

Thanks - It looks much better now its back in place.

Im waiting for the engine frame to be repaired before its powder coated. Been messed around by two companies now, telling me they are too busy after having it for weeks! :thumbsdow Its now with someone who is happy to do it, he's even looking forward to doing it but can't touch it until end of the month!