What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Destroyed Enzo - Owner RIP !

Scares me to see a car snap in half, I wonder if it hadn't had a composite structure if it would have stayed in one piece.

RIP

Ferraritech said:
Scares me to see a car snap in half, I wonder if it hadn't had a composite structure if it would have stayed in one piece.

RIP
RIP

Was thinking exactly the same myself.... :huh: :)

For the uninitiated, and I'm head boy in that respect, could you briefly explain the difference between a composite structure as opposed to (I presume) a monocoque.

Nice and simple questions to start with then we hit you with the complex stuff :D :D

Last edited:
Unbelievable, poor guy. Looks like a car bomb rather than an accident with the way stuff is strewn all over the place.

GrahamS said:
For the uninitiated, and I'm head boy in that respect, could you briefly explain the difference between a composite structure as opposed to (I presume) a monocoque.
I'm far far from a technical wiz, but these are two separate thinks. A composite structure refers to the materials the thing is made of. In this sort of context that usually means a weave of different types of carbon-fibre based materials. A monocoque is a type of chassis structure lilke a sort of bathtub as opposed to the chassis of pipes wealded together. Does that make any sort of sense? I did say I wasn't technical!!!!

Jonathan

I thought an Enzo was made of composite materials. Just an assumption though.

It's interesting to see it break in half like that given that this car is based on F1 technology (both are, I thought, monocoque constructions made of composite materials). So why does an Enzo snap in half when the F1 "safety cell" doesn't ?

Maybe the Enzo is a bonded monocoque (i.e. several parts glued together) whereas the F1 car is a single piece tub.

Ric.

Ferraritech said:
I think one sees from Formula 1 today and the accidents drivers walk away from, just how strong these composites really are. What I have heard argued in relation to the Ferrari F1 car that snapped in two at Laguna Seca a few months back is that these composites have a sort of life and that they are incredibly strong but not forever. I have no idea if there is any truth in that.

Whilst I don't know the circumstances of the Enzo accident, it is very clear that the driver was going at an absurd pace. Having half-a-million in the bank to purchase a supercar does not automatically give you the talent to drive it flat out and even if it did, to do so on a public road where other cars, pedestrians, cats or whatever may be just around the corner, invites the kind of results seen here.

Jonathan

ric355 said:
So why does an Enzo snap in half when the F1 "safety cell" doesn't ?
I think the Enzo snapped in half because it hit something very solid with the centre of the car. In one of the pictures you can see what appears to be a concrete post at a drunken angle behind the ambulance. It would appear (and I am guessing here from the same pictures everyone else has seen) that the driver lost the car coming out of the bend, spun across the road at something like 150mph, hitting said concrete post with the middle of the car. The force of the impact then split the car in two with debris going in all directions.

Jonathan

That is just terrible! Who knows what happened - I guess it acts as a reminder to all of us to be careful out there

I'm wonder how fast was he driving ?? The car is completly destroyed !! Where is a center of a car (cabin)??

The burned one was our Houston Texas wreck...I have pieces....

It actually was in pretty good shape, spinning when it lost ground effects and backing into a 30" oak at about 110MPH. Driver kicked out the front glass, as the doors were jammed...

But the crushed CF on the hot engine then caught fire and burned it to the ground....never exploded though..Firemen said it still had gas in the tank as the wrecker hauled it away..

Here's the jewel: Owner was bartering, for a lower fee! LOL!

Belonged to a attorney here, who was strong enough with the Factory to have it replaced as "defective".....

It's always just the luck, as this wreck proves...if our guy here in Houston had missed the tree he would have gone into an earthen embankment and done minimal damage...an on board fire system would have also saved the car.

THAT seems to be a significant design ommission on a car like these...

Always the first thing I add........at least a portable.....