What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

F40 LM Restoration

Traveller

Thanks to all for the enthusiastic response and herewith first post which I will try and update every few days as there is something worth reporting.

Aside from the original Michelotto LM's, the 27 other cars as listed by Michael Sheehan in his definitive article on the LM, all started their life as road cars. 84326 was no different and finally ended up in an unusual configuration running twin KKK turbos with twin waste gates and adjustable boost putting out approx 720 BHP. It competed in some races in the 1996 BPR without any distinction and probably it's greatest claim to fame was that it lapped Hockenheim quicker, just, than a Maclaren FI GTR, so it was no slouch. It is also featured in the book covering the series.

When I bought it, it looked good as per images I will post as a next instalment, but once we got into the detail, it turned out it was a real mess, and 8 years in a damp barn had taken their toll.

The real issue has been whether to restore or continue its evolution and I eventually decided that I would continue its evolution seeing as how it achieved no great success on track in its original format and has continued to evolve during its life so might as well continue now. Consequently, as it is described by Michael Sheehan as an LM/GTE, I thought I might as well continue updating it accordingly.

So, we have stripped her down to a bare shell, and the aim is to upgrade all areas to full spec whilst leaving the engine as it raced, and we are lucky in that Michelotto has agreed to supply us with parts, specifically brakes, hubs, suspension etc which he is normally not happy to do unless for an ex race car.

Thanks to our Dutch friends on F Chat, I have managed to unearth its history and as chronologically we should start there, here are some great shots courtesy of them during the 1996 BPR.

Attachments

• image-30.jpeg
    image-30.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 6,583
  • image-29.jpeg
    image-29.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 6,126
  • image-28.jpeg
    image-28.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 6,204
  • image-27.jpeg
    image-27.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 6,651
  • image-26.jpeg
    image-26.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 6,330
Looking forward to the updates.

Let me know if we can help as built up whole car including modifying original road chassis to LM spec.

DSC03128_zpsbecb1778.jpg

Looking forward to the updates.

Let me know if we can help as built up whole car including modifying original road chassis to LM spec.

DSC03128_zpsbecb1778.jpg

Have tried to send you a PM but apparently you need to clear your inbox! Would really appreciate your knowledge and photos but PM me if you can and I will give you my e mail.

+1 for book marked thread! Those pictures are great, epic era in racing, those Porsche 993's are very iconic as well.

Andy74b's car is a beauty. Had the pleasure of seeing his Maclaren F1 Lark GTR ex Race Car and Pagani Zonda as well at various Goodwood events.

So this is how she looked I had a rush of blood to the head. Giant intercoolers and beautiful body which unfortunately hid a lot of problems. however, if you are going to drive one of these cars as they were meant, to me it makes sense to do a full rebuild as that is the only way to make sure nothing is going to surprise you and maybe kill you. Next post we get the body off.

Trying to post more images that go with this but as my box is full, cannot and seem incapable of deleting any. Can anyone explain how to empty photos already used as highlighting and pressing Delete does not do it!

Attachments

• F40 LM small.jpg
    F40 LM small.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,565
So this is how she looked I had a rush of blood to the head. Giant intercoolers and beautiful body which unfortunately hid a lot of problems. however, if you are going to drive one of these cars as they were meant, to me it makes sense to do a full rebuild as that is the only way to make sure nothing is going to surprise you and maybe kill you. Next post we get the body off.

Trying to post more images that go with this but as my box is full, cannot and seem incapable of deleting any. Can anyone explain how to empty photos already used as highlighting and pressing Delete does not do it!
You've hit the posting limit for unsubscribed users. Subscribing is quick and easy :thumbsup: http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/payments.php

I reckoned if I could could afford to restore this car I could find another tenner.

Hopefully now a bunch of images of as was

Attachments

• image-19.jpeg
    image-19.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 1,512
  • image-20.jpeg
    image-20.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1,520
  • image-23.jpeg
    image-23.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,515
  • image-26.jpeg
    image-26.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,506
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 1,514
Just received my quote from Michelotto. Ouch!

Titanium, Avional (?), Magnesium, and Expensivium. Four new LM/GTE corners including rims, hubs, brakes, anti roll bars, uprights, springs, wishbones etc will hopefully be with us in about four weeks, so this thread has got mileage.

Should hopefully look something like this........

Attachments

• Front LM.JPG
    Front LM.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,475
Last edited: