What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Family car 8K what should I get

sheldon

Hi All
Im going to be looking for a new (well, second hand but new to me) family car for around 8K. Not really fussed about estate or saloon, I just want something thats going to be hassle free and nice to drive.

Any suggestions?
Cheers
Paul

If hassle free's the priority, I'd probably go Japanese (Lexus, Honda, Toyota).

Driving? Probably BMW or Audi. I'd forget the ML!

Slightly out there and possibly a risk in terms of "hassle free", but what about a Jag XJ?

The o/h has just bought a black Saab 9-3 sportwagon 1.9TiD Vector sport 150.

I think it would make a good family car, has lots of cup holders and storage spots. With part leather, easy to wipe clean seats.

It is also nice to drive and does 50-53 mpg on the motorway.

I drove the car for just over 4 hours this weekend (to Brands Hatch and back) and couldn't fault it.

Here is a picture of one
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...agon&um=1&hl=en&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&sa=N

We got ours at auction for £8k, although garages are selling them for a few thousand more.

I have had very few problems with Ford -

Purchased an 80k mile Mondeo 1998 R in 2001, drove 80k in it myself and just servicing costs during that time to 2005, same for my current car, 2003 Fiesta - 50k miles only servicing costs. All motorway miles.

Therefore, I would go for Focus/Mondeo!

Dan

If hassle free's the priority, I'd probably go Japanese (Lexus, Honda, Toyota).

Driving? Probably BMW or Audi. I'd forget the ML!

Slightly out there and possibly a risk in terms of "hassle free", but what about a Jag XJ?

I agree on the merc Murph but id also remove the freelander from the list.

Thanks for all the suggestions :thumbsup:
Never thought about a saab before but think their quit interesting might take a look.

Someone at work mentioned a Mazda 6 - anyone on here owned one?
Also, has anyone owned a Lexus IS 200 - what are they like?

Cheers
Paul

Thanks for all the suggestions :thumbsup:
Never thought about a saab before but think their quit interesting might take a look.

Someone at work mentioned a Mazda 6 - anyone on here owned one?
Also, has anyone owned a Lexus IS 200 - what are they like?

Cheers
Paul

i use a Saab as the daily hack and I have to say it's a fantastic car. Mine gets no loving and just keeps on going, 162k now and still no problems. It's 9-3 Hot aero so if fuel consumption is an issue then the Tid as suggested would be more suitable.
What about a 530d or 535d, loads of power, well built, handles etc. 8k would get you a decent E39.
audi A8 is a great machine and well within your 8k budget but runing costs will be high, huge car though if thats waht your after.
If it's purelry a daily car, never used for specail occasions then just go for waht ever catches your eye but spend a lot less than the 8k. If it will be a car that you want some plesure out of then look at the premium brands and if runing costs are not an issue, stick another 2k in and get an E39 M5, the worlds greatest cat, bar 1!

Good luck, Richard.

Forget the hassle free bit and stick with Italian style, you'll get a nice late Alfa 156 for that money, great to drive and (selespeed) apart not bad in the reliability stakes.

Depends on your family size, but..

One of these for £4k.. Then grab yourself a decent private plate. You'll lose minimal money on either.

Only 80k on the clock, £60 to fill up, 2.5 petrol engine, modern shape with minimal depreciation. Full BM service history. Good for 200k miles imo.

Attachments

• 323 002.JPG
    323 002.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Forget the hassle free bit and stick with Italian style, you'll get a nice late Alfa 156 for that money, great to drive and (selespeed) apart not bad in the reliability stakes.

Or a 166? I was looking at 166's a month or so ago (but the ones in my price bracket were all sheds:laugh:) & did notice some stunning ones on the market (obviously way over my price bracket:cry3:)

So anyone else got an opinion on the 166:laugh:??????????????????
I second the 156, loved it and chopped it in for next to nothing, no mechanical problems, however not always the case. swapped it for an RX8 - love her...also dirt cheap insurance, four door takes four adults however likes to drink. Also had trouble free focus, golf, audi A4 of late...decisions, decisions - good luck:thumbsup:

Paul, whatever you buy, don't discard the auction. You'll get a lot more car for your cash and I really can't see how it's any riskier than buying private or independent forecourt. It's actually really good fun and if you're open minded on model, colour, etc you'll bag a bargain. Cars are going a stupidly low prices at the moment - I'd go for BMW

On that note - does anyone know what happened to all those BMW's they used for the VIP Olympic Cars ? There must of been literally hundreds of them on the London roads during the Olympics, mostly 3 series but all brand new. There must be some bargains there somewhere ??

:dude:

This has to be one of the funniest threads, the original post was 4 years ago!! Guess he must have bought something by now:laugh: