What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Ferrari 308 Project Rebuild and Euro Conversion

Great Thread

Great thread, I know what it's like to restore a car in a single garage with a single drive. Hats off to you particularly looks very cold. :thumbsup:

Good luck with your project.

I just had my first look at your youtube (episode 9 ) and just an observation I think they are too long with repeating the same information, and I think they would be better if you where more concise. e.g you could have said I got a new compression tester today and turned the first two minuets into 5 seconds :)

Yes totally appreciate the feedback, all taken on board. With this build the car was a none runner purchase so its a bit of a journey that's happening real time with everyone along for the ride with me, discovering all the issues as they appear.

Caught up tonight and enjoyed the vids to date.

i must say I admire your commitment working on a narrow drive in winter with no weather protection or light. I’ll not complain about my narrow garage again :thumbsup:

I’d echo the other comments about a possible valve timing issue......

Keep the updates coming......

Thanks Mike appreciate the encouragement. I have just sold one of my 355's now so shortly will have another garage space. The dilemma now is I also wanted to pull the engine on the Ratarossa and do a full refresh, belts, pipes etc this winter the extra space had been earmarked for that. MMMMmmmmm what to do 308 or Testarossa.

Hi Scottie, just found time to look at all the episodes. Good stuff.

Is that at your house or somewhere else? I don't recall that narrow drive.

I'll give you a call and pop round to see progress after Xmas

Great project Scottie

As others have said, check the cam timing on the rear bank before pulling the engine. Has a the belt jumped a few teeth? Strange to see all four cylinders down uniformly across the whole bank

Has someone changed the belt and messed up the timing on that bank?

Great project Scottie

As others have said, check the cam timing on the rear bank before pulling the engine. Has a the belt jumped a few teeth? Strange to see all four cylinders down uniformly across the whole bank

Forgot to mention. Compression test should be run with all spark plugs removed, coils disconnected so it doesn't try and fire and throttle in wide open position.

Might be worth checking the belt timing and then re-running compression test

Hi Scottie, just found time to look at all the episodes. Good stuff.

Is that at your house or somewhere else? I don't recall that narrow drive.

I'll give you a call and pop round to see progress after Xmas

Cheers Francis

Yes the 308s are not at my house (lack of space). They are not far from your place though if you fancy popping over at some point in the project to have a look.

Great project Scottie

Really appreciate all the comments, helps me try and figure out what to do and next steps in the project.

I could sense your impatience to try and run it with the hose re-connected....a man after my own heart. I'd be exactly the same :grin:

Keep the updates coming....

Just watched all 10 episodes straight as not had time until now.

Anyone with a gt4/308/328 know how challenging they can be with space and working underneath and in cramped spaces so I take my hat off to you Scottie.

Keep positive bud, you've made some big positive strides from episode 1 to 10

You now have positive spark across all eight, overcoming bad no1 lead and dodgy coil pack wiring sorting crank sensor/TDC 5-8
Fixed slow return of Metering unit
Fuel leak sorted
You have proven fuel flow to fuel injectors.
Your one belt/tension look good on the rear bank, awaiting to see forward bank,

Compression test is a big worry as others have said.
Let's see what the TDC marks show on forward cover ( has it slipped a tooth? Has is bent a valve)

Keep positive Scottie and keep sharing your journey with us, I know there are many many people glued to this thread and awaiting your next episode, good luck from a 328 owner.

I know you have another donor car in the garage but if you need a known good spare part to test with, just ask out loud as many of us owners have lots of spares lying around you could borrow if you need to.
Keep the updates coming👍🏻

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, really do appreciate it. All the suggestions and ideas I incorporate into the testing and next steps in the following episode.

I'm in unknown territory for me with this 308 engine, but I enjoy learning and taking on new challenges so even if the engine has to come out then its all part of the fun factor.

Glad you enjoy the episodes, as I've said before this is really a journey that i'm sharing each step of. Having taken a complete gamble on this unknown QV, but knowing full well it was highly likely there would be some big issues along the way, I did the same with the 3.2 mondial a few years and transformed a neglected car into a really nice example.

Good luck. Hope its not to bad in there. Certainly looks like a cam timing/belt jumping issue on that bank with the low even pressures. Its possible you may find the marks line up correctly as some one may have tried to correct it, albeit to late. Ive seen it on other engines. That can be confusing.... Enjoying the thread. :thumbsup:

Cool project, i haven't watched all episodes yet but looking forward to catching up.

Glad to see others working of their Ferrari on the driveways.

Spoiler alert for those who've not watched...….

Result! I'm interested in the compression results. You might have been very lucky indeed. He who speculates wins :thumbsup:

Spoiler alert for those who've not watched...….

Result! I'm interested in the compression results. You might have been very lucky indeed. He who speculates wins :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: It sounded strong so fingers crossed

Had an awesome day on the 308, episode 11 of the 308 project just uploaded.

https://youtu.be/40JN0wgsEqs

Hi Scott, re the idle level I would look at the air jet on the throttlebody, if it's too far open it'll give you those symptoms.

I went through a lengthy trial and error on my 328 (same system) where I couldn't get the idle consistent (cutting out) in the end it was the plate in the injection unit not sealing properly after the car was resprayed it was full of crud! but I tried just about everything before I found the problem.

IIRC there is some sort of sensor on the underside of the coolant header tank as well and it might also be being caused by a coolant sensor not getting the right info if there's no coolant in the engine