What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Giles’ 458 Italia On-Line Scrapbook

Hello Giles
Following your 458 scrap book with interest as I have recently acquired one.
What method do you use to attach a front number plate?
Do you run the car without one?
Any updates on your ownership experience would be welcomed.
Terry

Hello Giles
Following your 458 scrap book with interest as I have recently acquired one.
What method do you use to attach a front number plate?
Do you run the car without one?
Any updates on your ownership experience would be welcomed.
Terry

Hi Terry,
The 458 had gone to a new lucky owner, that was was just about the best 458 I’ve seen, and unfortunately it also meant that I didn’t get out in it as much as I had hoped. Funnily enough I’m looking for another more useable example at the minute but the prices have become quite strong.
Numberplates: you have a few options, firstly they do stick to the bumper above the air intake. You can buy a Carbonio clamp type ‘no drill’ plate holder. You can fit the standard numberplate plinth but that means drilling the bumper. Or obviously you could run without a front plate, however a few people have said recently the police are focussing on this trying to dissuade drivers doing it. I’ll try to post a pic of my old 458 with a standard front plate stuck to the upper surface and my 488 carbonio clamp mount….

458, plate stuck to top edge of bumper:
IMG_1304.jpg

488, Carbonio no drill clamp plate mount:
IMG_1713.jpg

Cheers, Giles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Giles
Thanks for your informative reply.

The photos were a really good guide.

I have manufactured a Carbonia type clamp and currently have that on the car.
The bottom of the plate is attached to allow for a distance of 90 mm to ground level to act as a scrape guide.
The underbody of my car has a clearance of about 140 mm.

I have also purchased a stick on plate from Pro-plates.
Conforms to the latest BSau145e.
Standard size 520 x 111 with standard size digits.
I don’t intend to “trim” the plate but it does look long on the upper bumper.

Time will tell which way I go but I have no intentions of risking attention from the bib.

Terry