What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Giles’ 458 Italia On-Line Scrapbook

Price wise I’m expecting about £650, which is fine but it’s £650 more then the 488!
Cheers, Giles
Minus the huge depreciation though! Happy days, looks great.
Interested if you really feel it’s a more engaging drive than the 488. I was tempted with 488 prices now tantalising approachable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minus the huge depreciation though! Happy days, looks great.
Interested if you really feel it’s a more engaging drive than the 488. I was tempted with 488 prices now tantalising approachable.

Yes, more engaging on the 458 as the 488 is more composed, it’s a better car, better resolved, much more polished, the calibration of the Powertrain and driveline is hugely improved. Gone are the throttle tip in shunts and binary nature of the fuelling cal. All this make the 488 a much better resolved car than the 458, but that is missing the point in the same way that saying a VW Golf is far more resolved than a Morgan 3 Wheeler, therefore the golf is the better car (which it is), but the visceral feeling of driving something as bonkers as a 3 wheeler is just more fun, so it gets the fun vote for me.
Ok, ridiculous comparisons aside, 488 is stupidly fast and for me, being a bit of a short shifter, I really appreciated the max torque at 3k rpm, so you get ferocious acceleration without having to be high in the Rev range. This suited me fine but you don’t get the exhilaration of chasing the revs nor that naturally aspirated sound track that goes with the 458. If James May was describing the difference he would probably say the 458 has more fizz. This will probably be a combination of the more raucous soundtrack of the NA engine and the more instant throttle response.
For me personally the 458 seems to break traction in ‘Race’ more often inviting more driver involvement to dial in a little opposite lock, this makes it feel more alive in your hands. The 488 is thoroughly planted, not requiring nearly as much driver involvement when things are getting exciting.
Looks: for my eye, the 458 Looks better at the front, the tapered lower air intake looks more tidy and the slashed front air intakes looks super purposeful / menacing! The back of the 488 in my eyes looks better, much less fussy.
488 is seriously quick, too quick(?). It also has less revs to play with and although it gives a really fab loud baseline note it lacks the scream of the 458 which is so popular for so many petrolheads, plus the 488 has a lower redline.
488 from April 2017 will be on £140 tax when 6 years old, 458 will be the highest band for life (£580?).
488 better mpg :grin:
Standard seats in 488 look ok, in fact I think they look good. Standard seats in the 458 are not to my taste.
Standard wheels on the 488 look great, like the option 458 rim, standard wheels on the 458 are not to my taste.
Multi media Control in the 488 is OK, in the 458 it is not.
488 gets quite a few features for standard that are options on the 458. Rear park sensors, navi Bluetooth, DAB, folding mirrors, cruise control.
I voted with my feet and went for the 458.
Cheers, Giles

Yes, more engaging on the 458 as the 488 is more composed, it’s a better car, better resolved, much more polished, the calibration of the Powertrain and driveline is hugely improved. Gone are the throttle tip in shunts and binary nature of the fuelling cal. All this make the 488 a much better resolved car than the 458, but that is missing the point in the same way that saying a VW Golf is far more resolved than a Morgan 3 Wheeler, therefore the golf is the better car (which it is), but the visceral feeling of driving something as bonkers as a 3 wheeler is just more fun, so it gets the fun vote for me.
Ok, ridiculous comparisons aside, 488 is stupidly fast and for me, being a bit of a short shifter, I really appreciated the max torque at 3k rpm, so you get ferocious acceleration without having to be high in the Rev range. This suited me fine but you don’t get the exhilaration of chasing the revs nor that naturally aspirated sound track that goes with the 458. If James May was describing the difference he would probably say the 458 has more fizz. This will probably be a combination of the more raucous soundtrack of the NA engine and the more instant throttle response.
For me personally the 458 seems to break traction in ‘Race’ more often inviting more driver involvement to dial in a little opposite lock, this makes it feel more alive in your hands. The 488 is thoroughly planted, not requiring nearly as much driver involvement when things are getting exciting.
Looks: for my eye, the 458 Looks better at the front, the tapered lower air intake looks more tidy and the slashed front air intakes looks super purposeful / menacing! The back of the 488 in my eyes looks better, much less fussy.
488 is seriously quick, too quick(?). It also has less revs to play with and although it gives a really fab loud baseline note it lacks the scream of the 458 which is so popular for so many petrolheads, plus the 488 has a lower redline.
488 from April 2017 will be on £140 tax when 6 years old, 458 will be the highest band for life (£580?).
488 better mpg :grin:
Standard seats in 488 look ok, in fact I think they look good. Standard seats in the 458 are not to my taste.
Standard wheels on the 488 look great, like the option 458 rim, standard wheels on the 458 are not to my taste.
Multi media Control in the 488 is OK, in the 458 it is not.
488 gets quite a few features for standard that are options on the 458. Rear park sensors, navi Bluetooth, DAB, folding mirrors, cruise control.
I voted with my feet and went for the 458.
Cheers, Giles

I think that's quite a comprehensive comparison. :thumbsup:

One thing I didn’t mention and it is a significant difference is the ride quality, the comfort and ride quality is far better on the 488, not sure what they’ve done to the active dampers but all the road inputs into the vehicle are much more rounded with the harshness removed. However is the 458 ride unacceptable? No, it’s fine! :thumbsup:

Here is something I wasn’t expecting, an engraved binder specific to my vehicle. Quality touch and certainly a surprise and delight feature from Tom Hartley Jnr!

IMG_4190.jpg

Photos of my lovely posh binder to house my substantial service history, it’s quite a premium feeling thing, do all high end dealers to this?
IMG_4192.jpg

Hi Folks,
I’ve had my 10th annual service done at Stradale Italia, It cost £660 nothing to report and a clean bill of health, I’ve got a summary video from Sam, I’ll add a link to the tube you like site where I’ll try to keep my maintenance videos of the cars.

https://youtu.be/miOmlUnv8P4

This weekend I’m taking it in to Flawless Detailing in Coventry to have the PPF fitted to the front and sides including the A-Posts and leading section of the roof.
Hopefully I can post some photos of that once done.
Cheers, Giles

Hi Folks,
458 is getting the PPF fitted, here are some in process photos....
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Giles’ 458 Italia On-Line Scrapbook

I think I could do a better job than that Giles. I hope you’ve got plenty of pins [emoji23]

The mats have arrived from Mark at More Than Polish, they look fab!
Adjustments.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Cheers, Giles

I’m having security cameras fitted at home the mo, so my 458 has had a rare December outing, all of about 10 meters! But even so I couldn’t help but take a photo :grin:

IMG_0813.jpg

Posted this on my 360 thread too.....
IMG_0779.jpg

MOT time for the 458.
Mileage on the odo was (believe it or not) 4,458! Criminally under used in its 10 years, but hopefully I will be getting out and about in it a bit this year. Mike (the coal) - I need to learn the Elan valley roads and up over the Brecon Beacons / Black mountains.
My MOT guy was very complimentary about the 458, and it’s great to get a good poke around underneath.
No real plans for it other than to drive it, I have been looking for excuses to do something but it really doesn’t need anything, however my good friend in the Lotus group thinks I should apply red/gold centre line stripes and paint the wheels matte gold. I’m sure it would look great (like an Exige LF1?), but on such a nice low miler, that’ll be sacrilege I guess?
Pics....
IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

Good to see no scuffs on the vulnerable underside of the front bumper corners....
IMG_1642.jpg

Something I really missed on the 488, the distinct lack of horse in the front air intake.
IMG_1641.jpg

Change to Matte Gold? I would need a brave pill for that!
IMG_1640.jpg

These were for sale awhile ago, of a speciale. Not sure if they are still for sale but can dig out contact if wanted.

7B1458A5-0504-412A-8675-F9DC71AE558A.jpg

Thanks for the thought Adrian, but I’ll probably keep these rims on the car.
Then again it wouldn’t harm to know the price so I can make an informed decision!
I might need a new set of tyres soon as the ones fitted are getting pretty old now, albeit plenty grippy.... therefore I guess I could fit new tyres to those rims?
I’ll have a poke around eBay and the club selling forums to see if I can spot them :grin:

Thanks for the thought Adrian, but I’ll probably keep these rims on the car.
Then again it wouldn’t harm to know the price so I can make an informed decision!
I might need a new set of tyres soon as the ones fitted are getting pretty old now, albeit plenty grippy.... therefore I guess I could fit new tyres to those rims?
I’ll have a poke around eBay and the club selling forums to see if I can spot them :grin:

They are still available; full set brand new still in the boxes!!

If you give Brad Carr a shout on 07885737963. Can’t recall what the ask on them was, but really wasn’t much. I’ll let him know you might be in contact.