What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

How to clean 360 headlights in 90 mins

Demon

Thought I would share my experiences in the hope that someone will benefit.....

Just had my 360 Modena paintwork corrected by Paul Every who has done a fantastic detail on the car, but it was let down by the usual debris in the headlights and water marks on the inside of the headlight lens.

We tried to vacuum out the crud using a small tube connected to a vacuum cleaner but just succeeded in moving it around.

I spoke to Tim Walker who was very helpful and offered to part exchange my lights for a set that he had. However his were Grigio metallic and my car is Rosso Corsa, so he arranged to have his set split, cleaned and repainted. I booked my car in at Rardley to have the light units swopped over.

Unfortunately, Tim was beset by the usual problem and one of the lights cracked on splitting, so we were back to square one. Mike at Rardley suggested that even if we remove my lights and try to clean them out of the car, the likelihood is that we will do more damage than good and we agreed that I would leave them in place and ponder on a solution.

So. today I implemented plan D and set to it myself, with surprisingly good results in only 90 minutes.

So here goes with the instructions...

Firstly, you will need a pack of lint free, open weave dish cloths, a 15 inch (8mm diameter dowel - the length is critical) and a retrieval tool to pull the cloths back out (This is a flexible tube with and actuating rod down the middle and a retractable claw grip on the end).

You don't need to remove the wheels or even jack the car up, but it will help if it is parked on a level surface.

The procedure is the same for both sides.

1) Turn the steering to full lock with the wheel pointing inwards on the side that you are working on.

2) Remove the access panel inside the wheel arch - two small bolts

3) Remove the full beam light bulb as described in the manual and let it hang out of the way

4) Using the dowel, carefully introduce one of the cloths into the light housing through the bulb hole

5) Once the cloth is inside, use the dowel to sweep it around from side to side - the open weave will pick up the debris beautifully

6) Once the cloth has picked up some dirt, remover the dowel and gently retrieve the cloth with the retrieval tool and bin the cloth

7) repeat steps 4-6 with a new cloth each time to remove as much as you can, or until the cloths come out as clean as they went in

Check for remaining debris as you go and once it is all gone you can replace the bulb, refit the access panel and move on to the next side

This method has removed all of the debris from the lights and some of the smears and watermarks from the inside of my lenses.

They are not 100% perfect, but they are more than acceptable and probably better that a split and re-assembled pair.

I elected not to wet the cloths as I felt that this would only result in smears and watermarks so did the whole thing dry and happily it has worked a treat.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Just had my 360 Modena paintwork corrected by Paul Every who has done a fantastic detail on the car, but it was let down by the usual debris in the headlights and water marks on the inside of the headlight lens.

We tried to vacuum out the crud using a small tube connected to a vacuum cleaner but just succeeded in moving it around.

I spoke to Tim Walker who was very helpful and offered to part exchange my lights for a set that he had. However his were Grigio metallic and my car is Rosso Corsa, so he arranged to have his set split, cleaned and repainted. I booked my car in at Rardley to have the light units swopped over.

Unfortunately, Tim was beset by the usual problem and one of the lights cracked on splitting, so we were back to square one. Mike at Rardley suggested that even if we remove my lights and try to clean them out of the car, the likelihood is that we will do more damage than good and we agreed that I would leave them in place and ponder on a solution.

So. today I implemented plan D and set to it myself, with surprisingly good results in only 90 minutes.

Firstly, you will need a pack of lint free, open weave dish cloths, a 15 inch (8mm diameter dowel - the length is critical) and a retrieval tool to pull the cloths back out (This is a flexible tube with and actuating rod down the middle and a retractable claw grip on the end).

You don't need to remove the wheels or even jack the car up, but it will help if it is parked on a level surface.

1) Turn the steering to full lock with the wheel pointing inwards on the side that you are working on.

3) Remove the full beam light bulb as described in the manual and let it hang out of the way

4) Using the dowel, carefully introduce one of the cloths into the light housing through the bulb hole

5) Once the cloth is inside, use the dowel to sweep it around from side to side - the open weave will pick up the debris beautifully

6) Once the cloth has picked up some dirt, remover the dowel and gently retrieve the cloth with the retrieval tool and bin the cloth

7) repeat steps 4-6 with a new cloth each time to remove as much as you can, or until the cloths come out as clean as they went in

Check for remaining debris as you go and once it is all gone you can replace the bulb, refit the access panel and move on to the next side

This method has removed all of the debris from the lights and some of the smears and watermarks from the inside of my lenses.

They are not 100% perfect, but they are more than acceptable and probably better that a split and re-assembled pair.

I elected not to wet the cloths as I felt that this would only result in smears and watermarks so did the whole thing dry and happily it has worked a treat.

Amazing - I will try this. Been bugging me for ages!!! Thanks.:thumbsup:

Tools?

Great post - any chance of borrowing the tools? Happy to pay postage and send back once done?

Hi Demon,

Glad you were happy with the detail I gave your car :thumbsup:

I can vouch that after his efforts, his headlights look so much better. Well worth having a go if yours are as bad as his were.

Paul

can understand the condensation problem.. but if these are sealed units how does the debris get in in the first place, careless bulb changes perhaps

Whilst the headlights are classed as sealed, they are not 100% air tight.
There is the usual tiny gaps around the headlight bulb assembly and there is also a very small breather tube that is "supposed" to aid circulation of air so you don't get condensation when it is cold outside and you turn your lights on.

Demons lights looked like they weren't 100% clean from the factory to be fair as there were fingerprints on the inside of the lenses :hmmm:

Paul

Excellent with a few tips

I tried this yesterday on one side. Great cloths and good instructions. I have a few ideas which might be helpful.

The cloths are easily available in Lakeland although I found I had to cut them in half to get them through the whole.

I couldn't get the pickup tool from B&Q, Halfords or Screwfix so decided to improvise. I used some garden twine and securely tied a length to the corner of each cloth and used it to withdraw the cloth when I had finished dibbling round with the doweling.

The doweling was from B&Q and was the 9mm which seemed fine vs. the 8mm - I cut two lengths 15" as recommended and also a 20" length to give greater dibbling power.

It has cleaned out the dust and debris nicely but I would recommend taking the wheel off as it's a bit awkward with it still on.

I'm going to try the other side later.

I couldn't get the finger marks/watermarks off the cover which was frustrating but maybe more patience is needed.

Thanks again for posting great instructions. Good luck to everyone who tries this.

I treid this thanks. I can offer another suggestion as the MKIII design.

I used garden cane which is about the right thickness and more likely to be 'lying around' the garage. I also cut the cloths in half as they fit in better. I did not "let go" of my cloth, rather i placed one of the corners on the cane and fastened it to the cane with a strong tape. This created a diamond shape with a stick attached to one corner. The cloth was wrapped around the cane and then inserted into the hole in the light fitting. Dibbing around is just as effective!!:grin: It is tricky to get into the corners (below the sidelight) but overall results are a good improvement.

Oops. Spelling mistake (tried). Doh!

Also, I removed the wheels. Can't see it being an easy job with the wheels on. I also coated the access panel bolts in copper grease before I put it all back together as they clearly get attacked by the elements.

For best results remove the lights and swill some pure cleaning alcahol around them, then shake as much of the liquid as you can out and let the rest evaporate. It works like a dream everything comes up like new!.

For best results remove the lights and swill some pure cleaning alcahol around them, then shake as much of the liquid as you can out and let the rest evaporate. It works like a dream everything comes up like new!.

Is this personal experience?

Are we talking dust or dried out water marks from periods of previous condensation or both?

Removing the lights

Have you got instructions for removing the lights?

Whilst the headlights are classed as sealed, they are not 100% air tight.
There is the usual tiny gaps around the headlight bulb assembly and there is also a very small breather tube that is "supposed" to aid circulation of air so you don't get condensation when it is cold outside and you turn your lights on.

Demons lights looked like they weren't 100% clean from the factory to be fair as there were fingerprints on the inside of the lenses :hmmm:

Paul

oh... i also live in miami and i-m about to order my bulbs... why dont we combine?
thanks for sharing

I use the pure alcahol method with all my old classics, removes all marks and dust, all the lights I have ever done have come up like brand new (you would not believe how well), it is a detailing trick I believe. Someone told me to try it a few years back and it is remarkable how good they come out.

I buy the Alcahol from a Lab supply place it is the stuff they use for cleaning printed circuit boards as it is less expensive as there is no duty on it. I have not needed to do the lights on my F430 but recently did a set of fog lights and main lights on my RS1600i and they looked factory fresh. Only thing is you will need to get the lights out to do this.

just swill a bit around and give it a shake, pour the liquid out where the bulb goes in and then stand until the residue has evaporated, it removes all the dirt, marks, etc and evaporates without leaving any trace or marks at all.