What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Le Mans Classic 2020

Bluebottle

I am looking into going to the Le Mans Classic next year. I have not been before.

Is anyone going / thinking of going?

If you have been before, have you any advice? These are some of the things I am considering:

1. Should I go on an organised tour and, if so, any suggestions?
  2. Pros and cons of camping inside the circuit vs. staying at an hotel nearby. What is the traffic like getting in and out of the circuit if one stays at an hotel?
  3. Hotel recommendations?

but any other thoughts would be very welcome.

John,

Looked a couple of years ago, but never happened for one reason or other.

Tickets were fine, accommodation we were looking Airbnb in a local ish village (within 30 minutes drive) as we don’t do camping!

Could be interested, but will have to check with the boss as I’ve already booked tickets etc for Monaco historic!

John, I went last year. In fact if you remember I was on the way there when we bumped into each other. As by that point in a long trip I was budget conscious I booked an airbnb which was 3 metro stops from the circuit so very handy though crushed into a crowded metro at the end of a long hot day isn't much fun. BTW the airbnb was esoteric but fun and cooked myself a nice barbecue in the garden! It was a peaceful haven. I had never intended to take the Ferrari to the circuit which was just as well as it had a problem, if you recall. Traffic queues didn't seem overlong.

However, it was REALLY hot and there was quite a lot of walking involved (the Le Mans track is enormous) and although I had a seat in a stand opposite the pits I did find the whole thing quite exhausting. I think if I was doing it again I would go with a company that have good track side facilities and could do things such as looking after your possessions while you have a wander etc. My camping days are well behind me.

Therefore I think you could do worse than go with a company such as Classic Grand Touring https://www.classicgt.co.uk/all-events/le-mans-classic/ who I have used before for other events and can fully recommend. One of the benefits is that the owner, Martin Overington, races his blower Bentley there and brings the car to their marquee for you to see, so you get some involvement. If I go again I think that is what I will do. Not going next year as already have a couple of other trips planned and can't do everything.

Thanks for that. Yes, I do remember now, Francis. I think I shall look into your suggestion, especially as I now understand that there is a FOC group going with this company.

Thanks for that. Yes, I do remember now, Francis. I think I shall look into your suggestion, especially as I now understand that there is a FOC group going with this company.

Yes there is, I'm part of that FOC group, my first trip to the Classic. We're really looking forward to it.