What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Lifeboatboy's Road Trips

I'd never taken my 348 up to Wales, so on Tuesday I shoved my tent, stove and cameras under the bonnet at about 11.00, and by mid-afternoon I was entering Wales.

Entering Wales small.jpg

I thought it might be our last decent weather for the Summer, so it seemed like a good use of my time :)

Roadside 1 small.jpg

Turned out I was right. By the time Bill Withers' Lovely Day came on my playlist, you can just imagine the grin on my face.

Ferrari Roads small.jpg

In Surrey Ferraris are 2-a-penny, but in Wales everyone stops to wave and smile, demanding a toot or a Scuderia Scream from the engine.

Valleys 1 small.jpg

The roads are an absolute dream to wind around, and with the roof down on a sunny day, is there anyone who wouldn't call that 'living the dream'?

Lakes 1 small.jpg

The scenery is amazing. It's also more varied than I find road trips around Scotland to be <<awaits backlash from the wannabee breakaway republic>> :petrol:

Roadside 2 small.jpg

Of course midweek it's quieter than weekends, but for those of us habitually sitting in traffic jams on the M25 or South Circular, it's just pure unadulterated joy.

Valleys 2 small.jpg

I pulled into a pub, had a shandy, found a campsite on 'Pitchup' and went to set out my stall.

Campsite Wales 1 small.jpg

I wouldn't ordinarily drink Bell's as a rule, but for steak flambe it's my 'go to' whisky :)

Steak flambe.jpg

I watched the sun go down over an almost empty campsite (farmer's field), with a full belly of steak and wine.

Welsh Sunset small.jpg

Next morning I was at The Loop by 9.30 in the hope of spotting some jets.

The Loop small.jpg

Sure enough at about 12.00, the Septics in their F15s tried to knock me off the side of the mountain by flying just a little lower than I was expecting.

F15 at The Loop small.jpg

All in all, a good use of 36 hours' British weather, countryside and hospitality. Thank you Wales! I absolutely loved it!

Great pics :thumbsup: Good to hear you had fun.

(Will be up there Sunday in my 348 and now feel obliged to take some pics; but they wont be as good!)

Great pics :thumbsup: Good to hear you had fun.

+1

Particularly like the throw the tent in the car and go attitude. Can be a bit precious about my car occasionally (ok, slight understatement.....), nice when people show you you don't have to be :thumbsup:

South Coast & South Downs (new)

I didn't feel it appropriate to keep reposting every time I do a trip, especially since it's now my modus operandi to just wake up, decide and go. I figure the only people that will read this might be mildly interested, and therefore won't object.

So on Saturday I did just that, this time heading South. Direction, destination and route all 100% entirely dictated by weather, traffic conditions and what sound like fun. I was heading towards Norfolk, but when Google Maps said 35-minute delay on the M25, I turned right at Reigate and just kept going South to the coast.

At Brighton I turned left and followed the coast until I needed a campsite. Next day I set off early,m kept going until about 2-ish (nearly at Dover), and turned around for home. I headed back the way I'd come (I wasn't interested in motorways), and stumbled upon the A21. OMG! The A21 from Hastings to Sevenoaks (M25), has to be the best Sunday morning fun a man on his own in a car should have. I admit I may have succumbed to the occasional infringement of traffic regulations, but only in the 70 zones. And I will also admit that I took a very immature, childish and frankly excessive pleasure in passing the boy racer in his 2021 911, who really didn't think I'd get past him. If I'm honest, I was a bit surprised too :laugh: but I had max. torque at 7,000 from 3rd to 4th, and she just screeched past it. As I say, I may have fractured a regulatory guideline at that point. But that aside - ridiculous fun. The slower you go, the more people stop, smile, wave and so on.

P1010571.jpg

P1010578_Moment.jpg

P1010576 small.jpg

Anyone know if it's possible to post video on here? I suspect not, but just in case...

Anyone know if it's possible to post video on here? I suspect not, but just in case...

Easiest way is to Youtube it then post a link. Just be careful which clips you post - people have come a cropper if it's obvious from the clip that they inadvertently strayed a mile per hour or two over the limit :thumbsup:

Regarding the posts, I'm certainly interested so you've got one avid reader. If you want to rename the thread (Lifeboatboy's Road Trips or something similar) then drop me a PM and I'll change it.

Interesting thread; always interesting to see what other people get up to.:thumbsup:

Personally I just put 2-3 north face duffle bags in; more than enough for us, noting we don’t camp!!!

Keep posting your trips, really good antidote to picnic baskets, Panama hats and blazers! (Mod?) :grin:

Thanks chaps. I didn’t want to come across as abusing the forum, nor being self-indulgent. I’ve been given a 2nd life that arguably other people deserved more, so I’m simply trying not to take another second for granted. Choosing to ‘retire’ earlier this year, and now using the 348 to tour the UK without an agenda, is my interim until COVID travel restrictions let me loose.

Ref YouTube: I won’t, but not for the speedo thing (I’m always fascinated by some people’s naiievety). It was just to drop in a couple of vids of F15s flying low over The Loop. If you’ve never done it: recommended (albeit luck of the Gods re: weather, timing, aircraft etc). I nearly fell off the mountain 😂.

Ref “Lifeboatboy’s Road Trips”: brilliant idea, if you don’t mind making the name change? I suspect at some point I’ll move to Plan B, but for now it’s ridiculously good fun and reminding me that owning the car without really‘enjoying’ it, is almost an abuse of how lucky I am.

Ref luggage I wouldn’t usually camp and I did the same when I stayed in hotels and B&Bs etc. But as a single bloke, denying to myself that I get a stiff back sleeping in a field, is all part of the fun 🤩.

Thanks again. Wednesday looks like good weather again somewhere, so let the Weather Ladies determine my next stop :).

Ref YouTube: I won’t, but not for the speedo thing (I’m always fascinated by some people’s naiievety). It was just to drop in a couple of vids of F15s flying low over The Loop. If you’ve never done it: recommended (albeit luck of the Gods re: weather, timing, aircraft etc). I nearly fell off the mountain 😂.

Ref “Lifeboatboy’s Road Trips”: brilliant idea, if you don’t mind making the name change? I suspect at some point I’ll move to Plan B, but for now it’s ridiculously good fun and reminding me that owning the car without really‘enjoying’ it, is almost an abuse of how lucky I am.

Name change done :thumbsup:

Re the Mach Loop, have never done it but I've had a lifetime of jets - my Dad was a Harrier pilot and did a stint as a display pilot so went to the odd display, then I joined the RAF as an Air Trafficer, was with the Harrier Force for most of it but my last tour was running the airfield at Scampton with the Reds so had airshow after airshow for 3 1/2 years as well as them practicing 4 or 5 times a day outside my window. I like jets, don't get me wrong, but you can have too much of a good thing :)

Great write up.

I love your get up and go - see where it takes you - approach and the contrast with the detailed packing regime you have in order to be able to do that.

Those of us with military experiences can really relate to that.

Once you get out on the open road these cars suddenly make so much sense and come alive in your hands. Their fundamental designs are such that you can feel them wanting to be driven a let loose on the open road. I have many many miles in FerrariÂ’s now and almost all of these are road trip focussed / track or road event focussed (regularity trials). We had epic trips as a family in our family Ferraris (2+2Â’s) and we have continued this tradition now the kids have left home both with and without them in tow (two FerrariÂ’s for practical reasons) :grin:

I am still surprised even after all these years how little of Ferrari ownership seems to be about actual driving and the epic performance to be enjoyed on the open and lesser trafficked roads of the UK and Europe

Great write up.

I love your get up and go - see where it takes you - approach and the contrast with the detailed packing regime you have in order to be able to do that.

Those of us with military experiences can really relate to that.

Once you get out on the open road these cars suddenly make so much sense and come alive in your hands. Their fundamental designs are such that you can feel them wanting to be driven a let loose on the open road. I have many many miles in FerrariÂ’s now and almost all of these are road trip focussed / track or road event focussed (regularity trials). We had epic trips as a family in our family Ferraris (2+2Â’s) and we have continued this tradition now the kids have left home both with and without them in tow (two FerrariÂ’s for practical reasons) 😁

I am still surprised even after all these years how little of Ferrari ownership seems to be about actual driving and the epic performance to be enjoyed on the open and lesser trafficked roads of the UK and Europe
How astute you are.

My life took a turn since posting these. As a consequence I've spent the past 18 months about 2K miles East of home, so I haven't dipped in here as often as I once did. But thank you - it's greatly appreciated.

✊🇺🇦

I'd never taken my 348 up to Wales, so on Tuesday I shoved my tent, stove and cameras under the bonnet at about 11.00, and by mid-afternoon I was entering Wales.

View attachment 157145

I thought it might be our last decent weather for the Summer, so it seemed like a good use of my time :)

View attachment 157146

Turned out I was right. By the time Bill Withers' Lovely Day came on my playlist, you can just imagine the grin on my face.

View attachment 157147

In Surrey Ferraris are 2-a-penny, but in Wales everyone stops to wave and smile, demanding a toot or a Scuderia Scream from the engine.

View attachment 157148

The roads are an absolute dream to wind around, and with the roof down on a sunny day, is there anyone who wouldn't call that 'living the dream'?

View attachment 157149

The scenery is amazing. It's also more varied than I find road trips around Scotland to be <<awaits backlash from the wannabee breakaway republic>> :petrol:

View attachment 157150

Of course midweek it's quieter than weekends, but for those of us habitually sitting in traffic jams on the M25 or South Circular, it's just pure unadulterated joy.

View attachment 157151

I pulled into a pub, had a shandy, found a campsite on 'Pitchup' and went to set out my stall.

View attachment 157152

I wouldn't ordinarily drink Bell's as a rule, but for steak flambe it's my 'go to' whisky :)

View attachment 157153

I watched the sun go down over an almost empty campsite (farmer's field), with a full belly of steak and wine.

View attachment 157154

Next morning I was at The Loop by 9.30 in the hope of spotting some jets.

View attachment 157155

Sure enough at about 12.00, the Septics in their F15s tried to knock me off the side of the mountain by flying just a little lower than I was expecting.

View attachment 157156

All in all, a good use of 36 hours' British weather, countryside and hospitality. Thank you Wales! I absolutely loved it!
What a great way to enjoy your car and life. Love it

Thanks Allan. Recently my appreciation of just how lucky I am (and I can only try to convince you, that I was genuinely thankful before), has multiplied off the charts.

Those of us lucky enough to be in here as owners of what can only be described as: ‘dream cars’, I know won’t object to a fellow owner for reminding the team. We may each have have earned the right in our own unique way, but that doesn’t preclude us from taking a moment to say:

“Holy $h1t - I really need to make damned sure I appreciate it”.

Otherwise, what was the point?

Meh - I’ve had a few slightly lively ‘moments’ recently, and it’s made me want to thank the blokes (and ladies?) in here for all their help, but also to say what we’d all say to one another in the pub anyway: let’s enjoy it.

Here endeth the sermon.

P.S. F*** you, Shere Khan and your U-WOKE nonsense 🤣✊🇺🇦

I reassessed everything here over the last couple of years. Lost a few loved ones, work taken over by Abu Dhabi, thought I don't need any of this, so retired, big cut in money, but had my health, a roof over my head and the 348, ( and my Assetto Corsa Maserati.). You don't really need much more, life's too short. Enjoy.