What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

O/T Mercedes AMG project one

Modificato

Not since the F50 / F430 and Enzo has it been so easy to see direct F1 tech transfer to the road with Ferrari - so did Mercedes just steal Ferrari's Mojo with the project 1

When I saw the unveil I thought it the most direct and transparent transfer of F1 tech since the F50

This years F1 engine complete with electric turbo charging, KERS and all sorts of other 'now' tech...in a road car now

I must admit thinking the LaF looks Jurassic in comparison...

Thoughts?

Agree with the comment but think the V12 in the Valkyrie dates the car terribly and actually breaks the F1 for the road ethos.

The Mercedes is very interesting because it breaks the capacity and size 'arms race' we have been locked in.

A hyper revving 1.5 litre F1 engine for the road excites me more than a big V12 in terms of how technically interesting it will be.

I think seeing the Merc and the Red Bull go head-to-head but one doing 100mpg and able to run silently through cities while the other guzzles gas will show a clear fork in the road...

Ferrari needs to come with an electric car with a Screaming range extender engine now.

Is the problem with a hyper-revving 1.5 that they tend to blow up a lot? I'm all for F1 tech on the roads but is it not a case of how much detuning is required to make it practical? I'm guessing when you break down in one of these things the AA man is likely to be little help :)

Not since the F50 / F430 and Enzo has it been so easy to see direct F1 tech transfer to the road with Ferrari - so did Mercedes just steal Ferrari's Mojo with the project 1

When I saw the unveil I thought it the most direct and transparent transfer of F1 tech since the F50

This years F1 engine complete with electric turbo charging, KERS and all sorts of other 'now' tech...in a road car now

I must admit thinking the LaF looks Jurassic in comparison...

Thoughts?
I must admit it all sounds pretty awesome and I think smaller engines are on the way right across the board. I'd also be pretty sure Ferrari are, have been, or will be looking at projects like this too. Perhaps Mercedes is just the first to break cover. Let's see what happens.

Is the problem with a hyper-revving 1.5 that they tend to blow up a lot? I'm all for F1 tech on the roads but is it not a case of how much detuning is required to make it practical? I'm guessing when you break down in one of these things the AA man is likely to be little help :)

Not anymore - Honda / Kawasaki / Suzuki et al have been making hyper revving engines for decades.

My last Honda red-lined at 20,000rpm

When I stripped it to have a look inside after 40,000miles it was like new.

Modern machining techniques, materials and oils mean these engines run and run so the AA man will be unnecessary unless it's not driven and the battery goes flat or something.

They have detuned it back to 15,000 rpm so easily able to do 100,000miles

Mod If your main criteria for buying a car was the technology then you probably wouldnt buy a Ferrari, but would cream your pants at the prospect of the latest Evo 20 turbo nutter ricer with 50 on board computers.

Most people are drawn to Ferrari for emotional and ascetic reasons as well as performance.

Yep Mercedes have done F1 for the road, but the last time I looked they also made Taxi's, Lorries , etc and they just dont have the same emotional draw as Ferraris, and never will. Yes this means Ferrari can be a bit Lazy with their design or late into the technology game, but they are, in terms of emotional appeal, so far in front, the likes of Mercedes will never catch them up.

If you doubt this, park a row of every current model produced by Mercedes opposite every model produced by Ferrari - which one will have to most spectators and excited 10 year old boys ?? :grin:

Also try your 20,000 rev motorbike engine in a car and it will be crap to drive as no torque, and its just hard work driving everywhere with a 1000 rev power band - the fad for bike engined caterhams/westfields etc has died a death, and if you drove one you would know why.

I am sure Ferrari will get to a small engined Hybrid turbo nutter engine, but they dont need to rush anything to remind customers that they are an F1 race team.

Last edited:
Mod If your main criteria for buying a car was the technology then you probably wouldnt buy a Ferrari, but would cream your pants at the prospect of the latest Evo 20 turbo nutter ricer with 50 on board computers.

It's Ferrari themselves who claim they have to be at the pinnacle of technology

Most people are drawn to Ferrari for emotional and ascetic reasons as well as performance.

I assume you mean aesthetic - agree it's a blend looks, performance, tech = passion

Yep Mercedes have done F1 for the road, but the last time I looked they also made Taxi's, Lorries , etc and they just dont have the same emotional draw as Ferraris, and never will. Yes this means Ferrari can be a bit Lazy with their design or late into the technology game, but they are, in terms of emotional appeal, so far in front, the likes of Mercedes will never catch them up.
that's a bold claim to say NEVER another as a brand sure but car by car sure they can - Ferrari has components that come from all over the Fiat / Chrysler group so let's not get too precious about them .

If you doubt this, park a row of every current model produced by Mercedes opposite every model produced by Ferrari - which one will have to most spectators and excited 10 year old boys ?? :grin:

Agree but then joe public is hardly the informed and discerning enthusiast that actually by these things and in 10 year old form I thought a countach was the ultimate until I drove one and found out what a joke it was.

Also try your 20,000 rev motorbike engine in a car and it will be crap to drive as no torque, and its just hard work driving everywhere with a 1000 rev power band - the fad for bike engined caterhams/westfields etc has died a death, and if you drove one you would know why.

(Sigh) did you miss the two electric motors providing the torque-fill?

I have driven those 1950's inspired joke cars and can't think why anyone would want one but each to their own.

I am sure Ferrari will get to a small engined Hybrid turbo nutter engine, but they dont need to rush anything to remind customers that they are an F1 race team.

They do urgently need to remind customers they are capable of being a WINNING F1 team.

Listen I really am a fan of Ferrari and care about them being the best of the best but I am also a trusted and critical friend - I took a 675LT to last years Mille Miglia Tribute for a reason. - note the Italian public went wild for it and the Ferrari techs loved it even if the marketing people didn't.

Ferrari
needs to push itself far more technically both on and off the track as the 'emotional monopoly' it holds over its customers means it is unlikely to get objective feedback until it's too late. It has hapepened once before in the 1980's and it would be a real shame to see it played out again.

This is now even more important as they rely on their inner circle of repeat customers and a model that rewards blind faith and loyalty.

Mercedes just played their hand and it's a very very strong one IMHO..

Last edited:
Mod I am very familiar with the concept of electric motors to supplement the high reving ICE engine when its off power band or boost, as electric motors give maximum torque from zero revs, but you cited the success of motorbike engines, which have very little in common with the turbocharged unit used in the AMG project one. I was pointing out that those 20,000 rev bike engines are pretty useless in much heavier cars.

I thought you drove your 599 in the Mille Miglia ???

Mod I am very familiar with the concept of electric motors to supplement the high reving ICE engine when its off power band or boost, as electric motors give maximum torque from zero revs, but you cited the success of motorbike engines, which have very little in common with the turbocharged unit used in the AMG project one. I was pointing out that those 20,000 rev bike engines are pretty useless in much heavier cars.

I thought you drove your 599 in the Mille Miglia ???

I was merely suggesting that a high revving low capacity engine with a more powerful and innovative electric component to fill the torque is closer to F1 tech and indeed the future than anything suggested by Ferrari or Red Bull.

I Did drive the 599 but we took a 675LT as one of the support vehicles.