What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

O/T : My first Hybrid

Tesla raises the bar with a new HGV truck & a new sports car with very impressive performance figures :shocked: https://youtu.be/h_SjAcQeU1A

I don't believe the claimed figures for a second.

Even assuming battery tech reaches the required levels by 2020, the car will only achieve such acceleration in some sort of "unusable" ludicrous type mode i.e. a limited number of times and doing great damage to the batteries etc. Just like current Ludicrous mode.

And it will be so heavy it will still handle like a barge and not go around corners.

Looks like another "spectacular" from Tesla that will under deliver and wont live up to the Hype. Some cities will love truck companies who have a Tesla truck but it will end up as the shiny PR special thats used for the last few miles into the city and its an expensive way to do a delivery, as it will spend half its life parked up being recharged. If the wheels aint turning its not earning !!!

I think in a few years we will look bag at the Tesla generation of electric vehicles with all the inherent problems of the technology charging etc, and wonder why anyone got excited about it, and the only Tesla you will be able to see will be in the science museum :)

Mod,

Anymore you can tell us about this? I'm generally interested in guitars as is my son who covets many an expensive guitar he cannot afford. Personally I think that the excellent quality you can now get from Korea/China means that spending 3 or 4 times the cost for a US made guitar isn't needed. Also the excellent guitar modelling amps and effects means that feel and playability can be more important than tone.
Sorry to go off topic.

Sorry not too much as it's subject to NDA. I teach Innovation to Masters degree level and have done a bit myself - they realised that without innovation they are going the way of Stradivarius. Sure their instruments are revered and hallowed even but unfortunately by an ageing and decreasing customer base. Let's just Say tone modelling will soon allow you play any guitar from any era with any amp stack and pedal combination in virtually modelled halls.

Exciting times

The sports car was supposed to achieve 1.9s to 60? Surely there's a point that getting the power through the tyres to the tarmac is at a limit? I guess it depends on weight but I'll wager this still carries some.

The sports car was supposed to achieve 1.9s to 60? Surely there's a point that getting the power through the tyres to the tarmac is at a limit? I guess it depends on weight but I'll wager this still carries some.

There are probably ways to do it if you want to. I know back in 1989-90 the only way Honda could get the NSX to better Ferrari was to use specially formulated 'sticky' tyres. Problem was, in normal use they wore out ridiculously quickly. The limiting factor these days is certainly the tyres and not the engine power as any performance car worth its salt can spin the wheels with ease.

Funny thing is with this new Tesla, no matter how quick it is, I simply don't want one.

There are probably ways to do it if you want to. I know back in 1989-90 the only way Honda could get the NSX to better Ferrari was to use specially formulated 'sticky' tyres. Problem was, in normal use they wore out ridiculously quickly. The limiting factor these days is certainly the tyres and not the engine power as any performance car worth its salt can spin the wheels with ease.

Funny thing is with this new Tesla, no matter how quick it is, I simply don't want one.

I get myself into so many FB arguments over Teslas. You either want an appliance or you don't. I did fancy a Model 3 but I'm not giving them the deposit (only £1000 admittedly) and then no official release date for the UK. The deposit is 100% refundable and it just gets you a place in the list.
I understand this for high end exotic stuff but a Tesla with swathes of plastic inside and a centre mounted iPad! Really, no thankyou.
Last of all, quoting 0-60 seems to be what the Tesla adverts are about today. Perhaps the only way they can compare their washing machine with a real car.

Chris Harris drives the P100D https://youtu.be/mHhZ9jk-DrU :bolt:

Watched the first 6 minutes or so. As you'd expect it leathered the 911 to 60, however when CH drove the 911 it walloped the milk float to 150.
I have a lowly 360 with no launch control blah blah and I read/watch that on later supercars and fast saloons there are menus and buttons to press to get it to do super fast.

This Tesla though looked a bit of a faff and if traffic light GP's are your thing you need to make sure the light is on red long enough to start Windows and configure ****.
Last and by no means least the batteries have to be within some temperature range.

Ultimately watching it to where I am it is clear to me that Chris is not a fan of milk floats so maybe it is not unbiased. I will watch it all at lunch time.

Watched it all. Still don't want one. If I wanted to go from 0-60 quickly I'd buy something like a Caterham 620R then buy a nice saloon with (some of) the change.

Too much emphasis on numbers I think, just like with these pointless German super saloons. I've seen old Yanks and air-cooled street legal Beetles that'll destroy that Tesla in a straight line but their dragster-like performance has little relevance in the real world either.

Me too.

I really have no idea why Tesla is making things so damn difficult for itself. It is getting roasted all over the business press for yet again failing to make the cars it even has orders for let alone indulge in stupidly over hyped press announcements. Why it is trying to sell hideous looking saloons to old farts who won't buy one until the have a 500 mile range and toilet break speed charging is beyond me. Like apple it could and should have targeted the next generation, knocked out a cheap car for 17 years olds and it would have sewn things up in a generation. Those people had nothing invested in the past so would have adopted from the start.

With their cheeky deposit funding their manufacturing despite cash being poured in it actually insulting to me that they would take my money, the governments money (mine again thanks - tax), and still not be able to deliver me a car on time.

Total piss-take and the very worst of crony capitalism.

Back O/T having the first cold days in the active hybrid and not really noticing any real drop off in battery perfomance. As always some little annoyances - the iPod connection doesn't work with any stability and on digging into it I find that newish BMW's are now no longer compatible with the old classic iPod which is a shame. I have a 60gb iPod with almost all my music on and I can switch it between all of our cars Except now the BMW. The run-flat tyres are awful and introduce a horrible dead feel to the car which is only exacerbated in this weather when you need to feel what is under the wheels. They will be off in the spring. I was curious and took a look at the battery the other day which shocked me at how small it was. It is less than two large pizza boxes and not much deeper. It's a shame because with a little more oomph from the battery the ICE Would never be needed in town. It's 20mph throughout our city centre which should be well within the 3's capabilities BUT no-one but the people who live here drives at 20.
As a result if I accelerate on electric to 20 / 25 I get loads of ICE cars behind me fed up and in order to get off the line quickly the ICE kicks in.

So 100hp of electric would be much better but I said I am not modifying it didn't I ?

Having watched it all now I'm still curious. It does not make me want one as such. I think what scares me most apart from I could probably only afford a model 3 and would have to wait until at least September 2019 is what depreciation might be.

Me too.

I really have no idea why Tesla is making things so damn difficult for itself. It is getting roasted all over the business press for yet again failing to make the cars it even has orders for let alone indulge in stupidly over hyped press announcements. Why it is trying to sell hideous looking saloons to old farts who won't buy one until the have a 500 mile range and toilet break speed charging is beyond me. Like apple it could and should have targeted the next generation, knocked out a cheap car for 17 years olds and it would have sewn things up in a generation. Those people had nothing invested in the past so would have adopted from the start.

With their cheeky deposit funding their manufacturing despite cash being poured in it actually insulting to me that they would take my money, the governments money (mine again thanks - tax), and still not be able to deliver me a car on time.

Total piss-take and the very worst of crony capitalism.

Back O/T having the first cold days in the active hybrid and not really noticing any real drop off in battery perfomance. As always some little annoyances - the iPod connection doesn't work with any stability and on digging into it I find that newish BMW's are now no longer compatible with the old classic iPod which is a shame. I have a 60gb iPod with almost all my music on and I can switch it between all of our cars Except now the BMW. The run-flat tyres are awful and introduce a horrible dead feel to the car which is only exacerbated in this weather when you need to feel what is under the wheels. They will be off in the spring. I was curious and took a look at the battery the other day which shocked me at how small it was. It is less than two large pizza boxes and not much deeper. It's a shame because with a little more oomph from the battery the ICE Would never be needed in town. It's 20mph throughout our city centre which should be well within the 3's capabilities BUT no-one but the people who live here drives at 20.
As a result if I accelerate on electric to 20 / 25 I get loads of ICE cars behind me fed up and in order to get off the line quickly the ICE kicks in.

So 100hp of electric would be much better but I said I am not modifying it didn't I ?

Having watched it all now I'm still curious. It does not make me want one as such. I think what scares me most apart from I could probably only afford a model 3 and would have to wait until at least September 2019 is what depreciation might be.

And and the battery performance will slowly get worse and worse, with a finite effective life, might be as little as 4 to 5 years, ......... and your car is now scrap as new batteries will cost an arm and leg. And dont expect any honesty from the electric car companies re battery life as they will tell you what could be achieved under laboratory conditions with optimized power use and recharging protocols, that will be impossible to achieve in real world use.

Look on the bright side we can use all the dead electric cars to rebuild Hadrian's wall and dump all the toxic batteries north of the border :laugh:

Straight line performance doesn't appeal to me either, and I had no idea the ludicrous mode required such battery conditioning before and after; funnily enough that hasn't generated much column inches.

A gimmick, bit not a handy one if you need to sit at the light for 10 minutes for it to get the batteries ready for a launch

And and the battery performance will slowly get worse and worse, with a finite effective life, might be as little as 4 to 5 years, ......... and your car is now scrap as new batteries will cost an arm and leg. And dont expect any honesty from the electric car companies re battery life as they will tell you what could be achieved under laboratory conditions with optimized power use and recharging protocols, that will be impossible to achieve in real world use.

Look on the bright side we can use all the dead electric cars to rebuild Hadrian's wall and dump all the toxic batteries north of the border :laugh:
:laugh:

Straight line performance doesn't appeal to me either, and I had no idea the ludicrous mode required such battery conditioning before and after; funnily enough that hasn't generated much column inches.

A gimmick, bit not a handy one if you need to sit at the light for 10 minutes for it to get the batteries ready for a launch

You're not going to win many traffic light GP's because the Corsa will be in the next town by then :tongue3:

Have been in one in ludicrous mode and it is just that. The acceleration is literally 'next level' fast and I include the road legal FXX in that comparison. Tesla have been showing up at SCD events demo-ing the straight line speed. Trouble is their sales people come across like bible bashing missionaries with a prepared script of 'counter arguments'. Why they would waste such energy with hopeless petrol addicts is beyond me but given their strategy to hit the high end market first that's where the have to go.

They have an engineer who attends these events who spouts utter BS until he realises it is someone with some insight then he agrees that the cars are what they are. I doubt we will see a fully electric supercar as for reasons highlight on the grand tour they are really not the future - hybrids on the other hand...

Electric with a screaming V12 top-up motor anyone?

I have said before that batteries are a dead end and I think just unusable for most normal people, and that Hydrogen gas is the answer - driven by the haulage industry

I just read an interesting article which relates to this. I just hope that in a few years I can enjoy watching the likes of Tesla going bust as I think they have pursued the "Politically Correct" solution rather than the one that will work in the real world.

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/16734/...e-best-zero-emissions-semi-runs-on-fuel-cells

I have said before that batteries are a dead end and I think just unusable for most normal people, and that Hydrogen gas is the answer - driven by the haulage industry

I just read an interesting article which relates to this. I just hope that in a few years I can enjoy watching the likes of Tesla going bust as I think they have pursued the "Politically Correct" solution rather than the one that will work in the real world.

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/16734/...e-best-zero-emissions-semi-runs-on-fuel-cells

Also as applied and being driven by the marine industry.

As for "politically correct" couldn't agree more. Similar to the Gov investment in wind and wave energy, whilst predominantly ignoring tidal. Which of these energy sources is predictable every hour of the day, 365 days per year for as long as we care to predict it? What energy source is visible and would make good headlines to the average Joe? Cynics start your engines...