What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

O/T One we prepared earlier

Not a lot to be honest.

Interesting engineering exercise; but what’s it for?

Door mechanism with the roof on sounds clunky operation. And if I had that kind of money and wanted an “F1 experience” as stated; I’d by any F1 car.

Not a lot to be honest.

Interesting engineering exercise; but what’s it for?

Door mechanism with the roof on sounds clunky operation. And if I had that kind of money and wanted an “F1 experience” as stated; I’d by any F1 car.

I actually quite like it but agree with some of the above. As an exercise in engineering it's interesting but if you had that sort of money to spend (and I don't, not even close) would you buy one? Other than to play 'top trumps' with other hypercar owners I sort of doubt it.

I'm not sure you'd use it's performance on a track and I'm not sure you'd use it in the real world either, my guess is pretty close to 100% of them will be a museum piece which begs the question, what's all the fantastic engineering actually for?

Take this point re use in the real world - you need to open the roof as well as the door to get out so it has to be this folding system and can't be a canvass replacement as in the F50. When you take the roof off you can, as he says, store it "somewhere........" ie not in the car. So it's a Spider you effectively can't use as a Spider unless you're absolutely certain it won't rain that day. My guess is this won't be a snag as you can just store the roof in the covered trailer the car was brought to the event in but essentially I don't think anyone would go out for the day without the roof, certainly not in the UK, so what's the point?

Generally like the look, fantastic engineering I'm sure, real world use - not so sure.

I actually quite like it but agree with some of the above. As an exercise in engineering it's interesting but if you had that sort of money to spend (and I don't, not even close) would you buy one? Other than to play 'top trumps' with other hypercar owners I sort of doubt it.

I'm not sure you'd use it's performance on a track and I'm not sure you'd use it in the real world either, my guess is pretty close to 100% of them will be a museum piece which begs the question, what's all the fantastic engineering actually for?

Take this point re use in the real world - you need to open the roof as well as the door to get out so it has to be this folding system and can't be a canvass replacement as in the F50. When you take the roof off you can, as he says, store it "somewhere........" ie not in the car. So it's a Spider you effectively can't use as a Spider unless you're absolutely certain it won't rain that day. My guess is this won't be a snag as you can just store the roof in the covered trailer the car was brought to the event in but essentially I don't think anyone would go out for the day without the roof, certainly not in the UK, so what's the point?

Generally like the look, fantastic engineering I'm sure, real world use - not so sure.

Agree with a lot of the above.

Having met a few of the eventual owners it’s like assembling a toy car collection except as an adult. Some will get used, some will get put away and taken out every now and again to get looked at.

Most art is only possible through patronage - engineering art is no different - if there is no audience it doesn’t get made.

Still, for every one that gets sold to an owner like the Carrera GT that spent most of Tuesday sideways at every available opportunity at Donnington it makes all the static ones worth it.

I've actually got nothing against the static ones, just seems a bit of a waste of all that engineering.

This for me is peak car. I think that it's absolutely amazing. I'd be happy with just the engine on a stand in my garage to ogle - even better I'd just start it to listen to it whilst having a beer :grin:

In all seriousness: yes, the performance is irrelevant for road use, but the engineering in this thing and the engine design mean that it's just going to be mind blowing at whatever speed.

This for me is peak car. I think that it's absolutely amazing. I'd be happy with just the engine on a stand in my garage to ogle - even better I'd just start it to listen to it whilst having a beer :grin:

In all seriousness: yes, the performance is irrelevant for road use, but the engineering in this thing and the engine design mean that it's just going to be mind blowing at whatever speed.

I think one needs to live to a handy track too use it as intended and roads where the locals celebrate engineering and speed with a passion...