What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

ROSBERG RITIRES

If anyone doubts Lewis's racing ability just watch this overtake at Becketts in the 2006 GP2 race at Silverstone that I mentioned earlier.

Remember that GP2 is a one make series, so very little car advantage. Probably one of the most impressive overtakes I have ever seen.

And just in case you wonder why he had to overtake, GP2 run two races with the second having a reverse grid with the top 8 positions reversed.

Lewis won both races so started the second one in 8th.

Whatever you may think of him as a person Lewis is top notch as a driver/racer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0PpiaMPGNk

If anyone doubts Lewis's racing ability just watch this overtake at Becketts in the 2006 GP2 race at Silverstone that I mentioned earlier.

Remember that GP2 is a one make series, so very little car advantage. Probably one of the most impressive overtakes I have ever seen.

And just in case you wonder why he had to overtake, GP2 run two races with the second having a reverse grid with the top 8 positions reversed.

And watch the Istanbul 06 GP2 rface that follows that on Youtube. Oustanding!

I was there. And it was brilliant. I think it may have received the biggest cheer/applause of the day.

Don't watch much F1 these days. Saw the last 20 laps or so of the last race - thought Lewis did all he could, and must have been tremendously difficult.

Not a Rosberg fan. Happy for him winning the big title. In two minds about his retirement - probably knows his limits.

Would be good to see Button in the Merc next year for one last season...

I was there. And it was brilliant. I think it may have received the biggest cheer/applause of the day.

Don't watch much F1 these days. Saw the last 20 laps or so of the last race - thought Lewis did all he could, and must have been tremendously difficult.

Not a Rosberg fan. Happy for him winning the big title. In two minds about his retirement - probably knows his limits.

Would be good to see Button in the Merc next year for one last season...

Agree about Button Andy, but it's not going to happen. He seemed very happy with his decision to give it all up.

I think Lewis was quite genuine in his regret at Nico retiring but probably not for the right reasons. I think he wanted the chance to take the title back to prove that this was a one time deviation in his dominance over Nico.

I also think there are only two current drivers who could currently give him a run for his money in the same car, Fernando and Max. I think Sebastian is just not quite in the same league, despite all his Newey assisted titles. Ricciardo might be there, but I doubt he is as quick or good a racer as Max. Maybe more consistent at the moment but Max will only get better

Sadly we will probably never know, as that is the way with F1.

Agree about Button Andy, but it's not going to happen. He seemed very happy with his decision to give it all up.

I think Lewis was quite genuine in his regret at Nico retiring but probably not for the right reasons. I think he wanted the chance to take the title back to prove that this was a one time deviation in his dominance over Nico.

I also think there are only two current drivers who could currently give him a run for his money in the same car, Fernando and Max. I think Sebastian is just not quite in the same league, despite all his Newey assisted titles. Ricciardo might be there, but I doubt he is as quick or good a racer as Max. Maybe more consistent at the moment but Max will only get better

Sadly we will probably never know, as that is the way with F1.

Agree with all of this. Vettel was trounced by Ricciardo in the same machinery who is now gradually being eclipsed by Max, again in the same car. Aside from his sheer speed and racecraft, Max is excellent at managing tyres whilst maintaining pace, something his team-mate has not been able to do. This was illustrated in Abu Dhabi where Max came through from dead last.

Vettel has shown none of the leadership qualities and skills required to bring Ferrari back to the front and has in fact been embarrassed by an ageing Kimi recently. I quite like SV as a person having met him a few times but only Alonso or Verstappen can really challenge Hamilton in the same car. I don't remember the likes of Prost & Schumacher throwing tantrums when the car was off the pace, they got their heads down and worked diligently to bring results. It seems Vettel is in a spiral of negativity at the moment and this apparent fragility is something Hamilton would take full advantage of were they to be team-mates.

I'm in two minds about Rosberg's championship. Leaving aside the issue of Hamiltons unreliability, Rosberg rightly and consistently racked up the points but other than his very last overtake in F1 on Max, he has been seriously lacking in close combat, something I feel should be a given in the repertoire of any worthy champion. Max has embarrassed Rosberg in Canada, Silverstone and on several other occasions this season and if you didn't know who was in which car it's the young lad who drove like a champion on more than one occasion whilst Rosberg really failed in this respect. But then I think he did earn it with a sterling drive in Brazil (where I was sure he would throw it away). Even prior to this season I really struggle to think of a single memorable, outstanding overtake Rosberg has executed. The majority of his wins appear to have been from the front row unchallenged.

Listening to Rosberg's comments it appears that in his own mind he almost agrees he got lucky and this was a championship Hamilton lost, rather than he won. If that's how he is thinking then retirement is probably the best option as that will not change and a pumped up Hamilton intent on reclaiming his title in 2017 probably scared the living bejeezus out of Rosberg.

I think it is cowardly to win your title and then not defend it. But then who knows what private pressures were on him?
I've got a fiver on Pascal Wehrlein getting the seat for 2017.

I've got a fiver on Pascal Wehrlein getting the seat for 2017.

Which reminds me of Damon Hill being drafted into Williams for 1993 when they could not agree terms for Mansell to drive alongside Prost (despite Sheridan Thynne trying to convince Nige otherwise during his retirement announcement!). Whilst he hasn't set the world alight in a Manor, he may turn out to be pretty good.

I'd like to see Alonso doing a Senna and offering to drive for free. :hmmm: