What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Running a car periodically through the gloom of winter

Kyodo

This is something I've been thinking about since we've had our car, and something Pete hinted at in another thread prompted me to post this…

Many cars will sit the majority of winter out, some SORN'd and others see a bit of use. We're not using ours too often so there's the question of starting the car up once in a while and whether this is good, bad and how often.

I know there are different schools of thought on this and I'm trying to arrive at an informed, sensible decision for our winter 'running' regime. I know people talk of oil draining from internal components over time, seals drying etc and the best way to minimise potential damage, any thoughts??

I'm talking engine and gearbox, nothing else. I run the car on the drive now and then if it's not seeing the roads and I wonder if I should do it more often, or not at all?!!

Summer or winter I don't start the car unless I'm going to get it fully up to temperature.

If I've not run it for a while I crank it on the motor a few times with the immobiliser active to circulate a bit of oil...

I do like to run all of our vehicles (7). I firmly believe non-use isn't good for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Mark. I basically follow the regime you can find in pretty much any high end storeage place. No rolling road but our road is private so I can turn the wheels over and work the brakes (car is insured but not taxed in the winter). I also work all the motors (headlights, windows) and solenoids etc. I do this once a month. Whether it's right or wrong to do this I don't know but I do know that all high end storeage places offer this with their premium storage packages. As Mike says I wouldn't just turn it over, I get the water and oil up to temp.

Hasn't done any harm so far and gives me some time mucking around with the car over the winter.

I agree with you Pete. I just didn't manage to do it as often this winter for one reason and another. Yesterday was just the 4th time since early Nov. I always run it for about 20 mins till the oil is up to temp and move it around a bit in the yard to make sure the calipers have some exercise. So it's done about 300 - 400 yards in the last 3 and a bit months - equal amounts in 1st gear and reverse!

I did what Pete and Francis do last winter, but haven't this winter. Car has been under its cover since the start of November.

Maybe I should get it up to temp on Sunday

I must admit I get a little confused over this. I searched the forum and I found several threads where people say running it on the driveway for example is bad, absolutely don't do it etc… but we all know non-use isn't good for cars either. Taking the car out properly is the only option but then we'll be criminalised by the salt police

Hmm, maybe I'll make a couple of phone calls. I'll report back with any findings...

I must admit I get a little confused over this. I searched the forum and I found several threads where people say running it on the driveway for example is bad, absolutely don't do it etc… but we all know non-use isn't good for cars either. Taking the car out properly is the only option but then we'll be criminalised by the salt police

Hmm, maybe I'll make a couple of phone calls. I'll report back with any findings...

I should have been clearer....I've run mine on the drive once in five years.
I always take it out for a drive.....or don't start it at all.

I should have been clearer....I've run mine on the drive once in five years.
I always take it out for a drive.....or don't start it at all.
Oh no Mike, I understood entirely what you meant!

I've always been lead to believe that starting car after non-use will potentially create the most wear due to oil gradually draining from the moving parts. If this is the case, surely keeping the battery maintainer hooked up and not starting the car at all (unless taking it out for a drive) has to be the best thing, in which case I shouldn't be concerned leaving it sat in a clean dry garage for a month or two?

A month or two I wouldn't worry about. 5 or 6 and I'd run it a couple of times. With the fans blowing air through the radiators as required, water and oil circulating, fuel going through the lines and injectors, belts moving, bearings turning (you get the picture :) ) I can't see how all those moving parts 'know' whether the vehicle is in motion or not. Do the belt pulleys (which you seriously don't want to get stiff) know if the car is moving or not?

It's not as good as driving it imo but with salt and the roads caked in mud round here that's not a sensible option. I think it's better than nothing.

This obviously isn't definitive but can you find a posh climate controlled storage place which DOESN'T run the cars up to temp either every month or every other month because I can't :)

Thanks Pete, and I too don't understand how the belts, pulleys and bearings know if the car is moving or not. It must be magic.

Thanks Pete, and I too don't understand how the belts, pulleys and bearings know if the car is moving or not. It must be magic.

:laugh:

I just think there are parts in there that are better moved than sitting still for 5-6 months and with many of those parts, whether the car is moving or not isn't all that relevant. Regarding most wear happening when you first start an engine before the oil has had time to circulate that may well be true....... But then again, how does the car know you're about to drive it? And if it doesn't it can't cause any more wear starting it and not driving than it would starting it, warming it up then going for a drive.

Like I say, I think driving it is the best solution for moving parts but you have to weigh up the downside of spraying salt off the road into every nook and cranny. If I had a mile or two of unsalted private drive handy I'd drive it on that each month but sadly I don't. I've got a fw meters of private road which is nowhere near salted surface (few hundred meters to any road that gets gritted) so I can turn the wheels over and use the brakes. Not ideal but there you have it :)

Regarding most wear happening when you first start an engine before the oil has had time to circulate that may well be true....... But then again, how does the car know you're about to drive it? And if it doesn't it can't cause any more wear starting it and not driving than it would starting it, warming it up then going for a drive.
That is a point that could easily add some closure to a discussion like this. Nice one!

That is a point that could easily add some closure to a discussion like this. Nice one!

Agreed....

A couple of things....starting the car to shunt it around. I never think is a good idea. E.g. Out of the garage and back in again.
I absolutely avoid this unless it's a well used car.

Taking a car out puts some real load on it, so it does far more work in a lot less time than idling on the drive.

Today up here is a perfect day for an exercise. Dry roads and no salt[emoji106]

starting the car to shunt it around. I never think is a good idea. E.g. Out of the garage and back in again.
I absolutely avoid this unless it's a well used car.
+1
If we're simply moving it out of the garage for something, unless I'd planned to run the engine for a while, we push it.

I might take my GT4 for a slightly longer run on Friday. The lane down which it lives has been full of water and mud for the last few weeks and irrespective of any salt on the main roads (no gritter has ever been down the lane) it has certainly not been conducive to a run out. When I was last there on Monday it looked sort of OK and little rain since.

I will try to remember to take pics to show you all what the situation is.

I used to start it once a month when I had my Mondial and run it on the drive for 20- 30 minutes.

It's just a car (says the bloke whom never takes his out in the salt). I posted on here earlier this morning of my car on axle stands on my drive. I started it in the garage and reversed it out which took me all of five minutes, well the gap does seem narrow :tongue3:
I did similar putting it back. Thing is my garage is tiny and I do from time to time need to be in there and there is not enough room for us both. My drive is on a slight slope down to the garage so I am not trying to give myself a hernia pushing it out. I'm not going to fart about running it for 20-30 minutes when the job I am doing in the garage takes an hour.

SteveW and his once business partner Simon suggested it was better to start it only if you need to and if possible get it up to temperature, ideally take it out for a proper run. So I don't start it unless I need to.

There are so many reasons to start it and not to, pick one and do it, it'll always be wrong to someone but right to the next.

The idea of starting an engine to keep the seals supple is good but starting an engine that has been left for a couple of weeks at a time accelerates wear to quite a significant degree compared to one that is started daily; by the one week mark a lot of oil has drained to the sump, and by two weeks there's very little film left. The ideal solution is an accumulator such as https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/...ccusump-oil-accumulators-how-do-they-work-281 but if one isn't fitted the next best thing is to get the oil pressure up before it fires by disabling the ECUs - use whatever method is easiest.

The idea of starting an engine to keep the seals supple is good but starting an engine that has been left for a couple of weeks at a time accelerates wear to quite a significant degree compared to one that is started daily; by the one week mark a lot of oil has drained to the sump, and by two weeks there's very little film left. The ideal solution is an accumulator such as https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/...ccusump-oil-accumulators-how-do-they-work-281 but if one isn't fitted the next best thing is to get the oil pressure up before it fires by disabling the ECUs - use whatever method is easiest.
Interesting Mark. Mike's method of cranking it on the key without disarming the immobiliser is very possibly the best approach then, perhaps a good idea too if the car hasn't been used for a week or two, even if you do intend to take it out?