What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Toyota GT86 - first drive

Hi guys and Gals, not sure if any of you are interested or thinking of adding one of these to your collection but I am off to Donington Park GP circuit today to have a drive and be taught by Toyota how to drive the GT86 properly!!! The car has had glowing reviews in the motoring press and I am quite excited to have a go!!!

Anyone want any info etc please let me know.

Paul:thumbsup:

Hi guys and Gals, not sure if any of you are interested or thinking of adding one of these to your collection but I am off to Donington Park GP circuit today to have a drive and be taught by Toyota how to drive the GT86 properly!!! The car has had glowing reviews in the motoring press and I am quite excited to have a go!!!

Anyone want any info etc please let me know.

Paul:thumbsup:

Saw it for the first time at Le Mans the other week:thumbsup::thumbsup: I signed up with Toyota for all the info ages ago, RWD would rule it out as a daily car for me :cry::cry: I will be interested to hear how you got on. Have a great time :grin::grin:

Saw it for the first time at Le Mans the other week:thumbsup::thumbsup: I signed up with Toyota for all the info ages ago, RWD would rule it out as a daily car for me :cry::cry: I will be interested to hear how you got on. Have a great time :grin::grin:

The pictures dont do it justice, you need to see it in the flesh I think dont you? Its very low and a great looking car! Will report back on how it goes :grin:

Why? Do you have restrictions on company cars or is it a packaging/handling thing?

Modern RWDs are very benign IMO, though can be provoked much easier than FWD.

It would only affect me if we had snow and ice :grin::grin: I wouldn't even get to the end of my road in a RWD car :cry::cry: But thats why you need to have a 2nd car :hmmm::hmmm:

My wife has an MX5 and that's fun fun fun for very little money - this could be even better :thumbsup:

Must say I like the look of this to.....

Attachments

• car_photo_531238_25.jpg
    car_photo_531238_25.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 142
It would only affect me if we had snow and ice :grin::grin: I wouldn't even get to the end of my road in a RWD car :cry::cry: But thats why you need to have a 2nd car :hmmm::hmmm:
Ahhhh.

Seems a shame to limit yourself for a bit of snow.

What about "chains" for winter (or those fabric equivalents they sell - think Halfords had the this year)? I bet a chain equipped RWD car will probably be as handy as a std FWD car...?

Ahhhh.

Seems a shame to limit yourself for a bit of snow.

What about "chains" for winter (or those fabric equivalents they sell - think Halfords had the this year)? I bet a chain equipped RWD car will probably be as handy as a std FWD car...?

All sounds very sensible. Winter tyres make a big difference too. I will have to start saving my pennies :thumbsup::grin:

The only words I have to describe my day at Donington with the GT86 are WOW and AWESOME.

Its truly a great drivers car, it may be "only 200bhp" but you can use all of it all the time, the chassis is so sorted - filled you with confidence but still had that little cheeky oversteer to warn you when the limit was there, but the front end is tight - 53/47% weight distribution to aid corner turn in and to loosen the rear a little on braking felt perfect. They decided on this weight distribution after getting it to perfect 50/50 then driving over 9000 miles round the Nurburgring! With all the diver aids off (and you can turn it all off inc ABS!!!) its still easy to drive and communicative but very rewarding when you get it right, the electronics dont hide any dodgy chassis traits here!!!

The attention to detail is stunning, .65mm pressed front wing panels from the GT4 rally days (cheating) of weight saving, alu bonnet, no inner wings on the arches - just see the splash guards from under the bonnet!! Thinner front qtr light glasses to save the weight, lowest in-class centre of gravity - 460mm, close to that of supercars, Front radiator laying down at an angle to allow the nose to sit low, oval exhaust under the engine so the engine sits lower, the list goes on!!

The engine block is Subaru but the head has been re-enginereed by Toyota, 86x86mm bore and stroke and now Revs a lot higher than a standard lazy Subaru Boxer. The Toyota interestingly has different suspension to the Subaru BRZ and its been noted in the press to be a lot better for it, stiffer rear springs and softer fronts.

All in all I was very impressed and cant wait to drive it again, 6 years in the making and worth the wait for me !!!

Last edited:
The only words I have to describe my day at Donington with the GT86 are WOW and AWESOME.

Its truly a great drivers car, it may be "only 200bhp" but you can use all of it all the time, the chassis is so sorted - filled you with confidence but still had that little cheeky oversteer to warn you when the limit was there, but the front end is tight - 53/47% weight distribution to aid corner turn in and to loosen the rear a little on braking felt perfect. They decided on this weight distribution after getting it to perfect 50/50 then driving over 9000 miles round the Nurburgring! With all the diver aids off (and you can turn it all off inc ABS!!!) its still easy to drive and communicative but very rewarding when you get it right, the electronics dont hide any dodgy chassis traits here!!!

The attention to detail is stunning, .65mm pressed front wing panels from the GT4 rally days (cheating) of weight saving, alu bonnet, no inner wings on the arches - just see the splash guards from under the bonnet!! Thinner front qtr light glasses to save the weight, lowest in-class centre of gravity - 460mm, close to that of supercars, Front radiator laying down at an angle to allow the nose to sit low, oval exhaust under the engine so the engine sits lower, the list goes on!!

The engine block is Subaru but the head has been re-enginereed by Toyota, 86x86mm bore and stroke and now Revs a lot higher than a standard lazy Subaru Boxer. The Toyota interestingly has different suspension to the Subaru BRZ and its been noted in the press to be a lot better for it, stiffer rear springs and softer fronts.

All in all I was very impressed and cant wait to drive it again, 6 years in the making and worth the wait for me !!!

Sounds brilliant, when are you putting in your order? :wink3::wink3:

I will be visiting the Alfa and Toyota stands at the FOC tomorrow :grin::grin::grin::grin: