What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Triple Layer Paint Touch Up

dermot

I have managed to acquire 4 nasty stone chips on my 458 Italia on the front valance just by the headlight, one is about 4 mm in diameter, otherwise the paint is perfect, as the whole front end was re-painted by SprayMaster (Dick Lovett's body shop) when i got the 458. The car is Rosso Fucco, triple layer. Has anyone had any 1st hand experience sorting out their own chips on multi-layer paint. Really gutted by this and want to try and do the best I can.

I could do with some advice in this department too. Picked up these belters recently :cry3:

Good job I never bought one of those rosso colours that seem to be popular on Ferrari’s :laugh: would stand out even more....

Considering trying chipex..?

DBAB0653-E003-4D14-9028-FBC13259B475.jpg

6B7C8FE9-88B5-4E3D-9950-B4DBBCEECD15.jpg

Mike, Chipex is OK, one trick I learned was to warm the paint before application, get a much better finish

Dermot, Not sure if Spraymaster can help or maybe you need to find the nearest match in normal paint, most decent paint shops now have a 'reader' to identify the paint colour and match it

Mike, Chipex is OK, one trick I learned was to warm the paint before application, get a much better finish

Dermot, Not sure if Spraymaster can help or maybe you need to find the nearest match in normal paint, most decent paint shops now have a 'reader' to identify the paint colour and match it

Looks like something tried to hold on with their teeth Mike.

Which paint did you warm Mark, stuff in the pot or the paint around the chip? Currently painstakingly going through my welsh weekender chips with Chipex but getting mixed results.

Looks like something tried to hold on with their teeth Mike.

Which paint did you warm Mark, stuff in the pot or the paint around the chip? Currently painstakingly going through my welsh weekender chips with Chipex but getting mixed results.

stuff in the pot :thumbsup:

I have managed to acquire 4 nasty stone chips on my 458 Italia on the front valance just by the headlight, one is about 4 mm in diameter, otherwise the paint is perfect, as the whole front end was re-painted by SprayMaster (Dick Lovett's body shop) when i got the 458. The car is Rosso Fucco, triple layer. Has anyone had any 1st hand experience sorting out their own chips on multi-layer paint. Really gutted by this and want to try and do the best I can.

The thing is if you'll probably pick up more stone chips as time goes on, so it's probably worth touching them up and seeing how it goes, then have the bumper (which will include a blow in on the bonnet and wings) painted in a few years time.
Otherwise have them repaired now whilst there aren't many, which might be able to be done as a smart repair, then have PPF applied.

I've come to think of the front paint of these cars as a consumable item :grin: