What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Wax

Some have recommended Autoglym High Definition wax kit, cheaper then the expensive brands like zymol and swiss:thumbsup:

I applied another 2 coats of Autoglym HD wax over the weekend to mine, extremely happy with the results.
James has Rosso Scuderia on his CS and it looks far more lustrous than the other Scud parked near him, not sure if it's down to the the prep or the polish he uses??

Had a chance to have a look at the AG HD wax the other day and although AG claim it contains carnauba it also contains horrible stuff such as silicone, which will help to hide light swirls, and petroleum distillates which help in the applying and buffing off processes.

IMHO, if you are looking at spending £30-40 on wax, the DODO range is the one to go for, or buy some Zymol Carbon, without doubt the best wax in that price bracket :thumbsup:

I applied another 2 coats of Autoglym HD wax over the weekend to mine, extremely happy with the results.
James has Rosso Scuderia on his CS and it looks far more lustrous than the other Scud parked near him, not sure if it's down to the the prep or the polish he uses??

That other Strad was covered in white residue - he'd obviously polished it in the dark or something, even the grille was covered in it!

I have tried a few different waxes lately and compared them with my critical eye (although I don't want to claim that I am an expert). :grin:
I love Swissvax. Great deep shine and long durability, but rather expensive.
I was absolutely not impressed by Dodo Juice Double wax. It just did not bring what I was looking for.
Last week I tried AutoGlym HD wax after reading the comments on the forums.

The result is absolutely Fantastic! Great stuff for a great price. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
It gives a really deep gloss.

Attachments

• IMG_3075.jpg
    IMG_3075.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 293
Had a chance to have a look at the AG HD wax the other day and although AG claim it contains carnauba it also contains horrible stuff such as silicone, which will help to hide light swirls, and petroleum distillates which help in the applying and buffing off processes.

IMHO, if you are looking at spending £30-40 on wax, the DODO range is the one to go for, or buy some Zymol Carbon, without doubt the best wax in that price bracket :thumbsup:

Ian

Have you any experience of Chemical Guys Butter Wet wax. This isn't for an F car, just my ancient Vauxhall Omega daily driver which I giving a good going over with a clay bar and DA polisher after years of neglect. I've already spent far too much on it so I'm looking for something good value and this was suggested. The blurb does mention polymers and resins as well as carnauba, so do your above comments apply to it also?

That other Strad was covered in white residue - he'd obviously polished it in the dark or something, even the grille was covered in it!

I remember years ago my dad came in with a worried look on his face and said to me "what am I doing wrong here", he took me out to his bmw 520 and showed me his dashboard which was white:laugh:
He had coated it with ag super resin thinking it would clean up nicely.

Ian

Have you any experience of Chemical Guys Butter Wet wax. This isn't for an F car, just my ancient Vauxhall Omega daily driver which I giving a good going over with a clay bar and DA polisher after years of neglect. I've already spent far too much on it so I'm looking for something good value and this was suggested. The blurb does mention polymers and resins as well as carnauba, so do your above comments apply to it also?

I have used a few different Chemical Guys products and the ones I have used have been really good.

I haven't used the Butter Wet Wax but from the description it sounds like a sealant but with carnauba content to help to give the shine more warmth as sealants tend to give a cold hard shine. Its sounds as though it will contain distillates because they claim it can be used in direct sunlight when the body work is hot or cold whereas all natural carnauba waxes need to be applied in shade when the panels are cool. I have also read that it doesn't tend to last more than one wash so will need to be re-applied after washing, unless you put a carnauba wax over the top.

I have tried a few different waxes lately and compared them with my critical eye (although I don't want to claim that I am an expert). :grin:
I love Swissvax. Great deep shine and long durability, but rather expensive.
I was absolutely not impressed by Dodo Juice Double wax. It just did not bring what I was looking for.
Last week I tried AutoGlym HD wax after reading the comments on the forums.

The result is absolutely Fantastic! Great stuff for a great price. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
It gives a really deep gloss.

Another convert :thumbsup:

I think there are 4 things to consider:

1) How long it takes to apply and buff off
2) Quality of result - ie how shiny/glossy etc
3) How long does it last (a function of weather conditions and how often and how you wash and dry your car
4) Cost

I've tried quite a few different waxes (expensive Victoria and Zymol Carnauba based products and cheaper chemical based Autoglym etc) over the last 10 years on Porsches, Mercedes, Ferrari etc.

Without doubt the longest lasting and most durable is Collinite 476S. It is also much quicker to apply and buff off than carnauba based waxes. Furthermore I can see no difference in the result between it and carnauba based waxes. Oh, and it's half the price of carnauba based waxes!

Autoglym etc may be quick to apply and give great results but will not last nearly as long.

I just bought some AG HD wax yesterday.

I don't know about durability but in terms ease of application and quality of finish, its just lovely stuff. Really recommended...

I think most people on this forum would be hard pressed to see the difference between a £40 bottle of wax and one that costs several times more.

In my opinion the results are much more dependent on preparation than the wax used.

Haven't used HD yet but intend to after seeing various results posted on the web.