What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Why a filter is better than a softener for car washing

I bought one of these filters, and I had a slightly different experience to others. First off, let me say that it does exactly what they say it does - you get 0ppm water out of it. I tested mine with a TDS meter; it did what it said. And the input TDS was around 380-400 (Surrey).

Those using an RO stage - the problem with RO stage is that to get the lowest ppm output you'll get a pretty poor flow rate, which is probably why Geoff's system is 18ppm - it'll be to do with the hole size in the RO membrane. An aquarium doesn't need a high flow rate so you can use a very fine membrane to reduce the ppm as low as possible. Maybe car rinsing doesn't need much flow either (see later).

I used my filter for around 3 months and then it ran out. I was leaving the car to dry naturally and this is where I got caught out. Even though I had a TDS meter I didn't expect the filter performance to suddenly drop off the way it did. The result was a heavily water spotted car one day that I had to do paint correction on to sort out. Luckily I had the gear to do it, so it was only my time.

I checked how much water I was using and found that a rinse of my XKR using a hose would cost me 25 litres of water. That was trying to use it sparingly too. At 400ppm the 7 litre filter will give you just under 400 litres of water - so only 16 washes in my case. Admittedly I had also used the filter for washing at first (snow foam) which is partly why it ran out so quickly, but I soon stopped that when I realised how much water that used. This would still mean though that with my usage it might only last 6 months maximum and that's being generous. I could have tried to get the water usage down but frankly I couldn't be arsed with it.

I never refilled it as I felt it would just be too expensive and a right pain in the water butt to refill it every 3-6 months.

Other's mileage will very - it depends how anal you want to be about using the minimum amount of water, but I'd say if you want to go out and do a quick wash with little concern for what you're doing then this sort of filter isn't for you. I knew all the stuff about using it sparingly (and tried) but I still failed to get good lifetime out of it.

Instead I went with a whole house water softener. This I felt was much more beneficial to me. In terms of water spotting, it won't dry clear like the ion exchanged water, but the difference between that and hard water is that the minerals which leave limescale have been exchanged for something much easier to remove. If your car does happen to dry all it takes is a damp cloth to remove any spots, and I've never even had that problem anyway. The end result is exactly the same as with the race glaze filter, and it's a lot less hassle plus the rest of your house benefits too. And on balance I prefer to dry the car anyway.

This is just another perspective - there's nothing to fault the filter with other than the maintenance aspect which I didn't like.

In both cases, if you live in a hard water area your car will look visibly cleaner after a wash and dry than it does with hard water. It's really obvious the first time you do it how much deeper the colour is. I found this particularly true with a black car. It still amazes me every time I dry the car.

Personally I wouldn't say that the race glaze filter is better than a water softener, but realise some people might prefer it. For me, it's actually the other way round.

I'm deciding on the idea if to buy one of marks filter systems at the moment, wife's just had a new large SUV and by the time I finished washing it one side the other side was drying out before I had chance to dry off and spotting was occurring, maybe I'm just not as fast as I was.

I live in the Birmingham area and I believe we have soft-ish water?
Can I be cheeky And ask to borrow someone's TDS meter :shocked:and test my water PPM I'll post it back.

Before I decide which route to go::thumbsup:

Let the cheep skate jokes flow:grin:

I'm deciding on the idea if to buy one of marks filter systems at the moment, wife's just had a new large SUV and by the time I finished washing it one side the other side was drying out before I had chance to dry off and spotting was occurring, maybe I'm just not as fast as I was.

I live in the Birmingham area and I believe we have soft-ish water?
Can I be cheeky And ask to borrow someone's TDS meter :shocked:and test my water PPM I'll post it back.

Before I decide which route to go::thumbsup:

Let the cheep skate jokes flow:grin:

I think it would cost more for me to post you mine than it cost to buy - cheapskate:laugh::laugh::tongue3:

You can borrow mine. Drop me your address.

But if you give me your postcode I can tell you what it is from SevernTrent - and tell you how many litres the filter will produce too.

You can do it yourself here: https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supply/water-quality/check-my-water-quality/

Then input the figure here - its will be a number 250-350 ish: http://www.morethanpolish.com/maxi-filter-refillable-long-life-water-filter-system.asp

For our 14L filter, multiply the answer by 2.75 as this only gives the figure for the 7L unit

I have a large SUV and can have the same problem, and this has solved the issue for me.

You can borrow mine. Drop me your address.

But if you give me your postcode I can tell you what it is from SevernTrent - and tell you how many litres the filter will produce too.

You can do it yourself here: https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supply/water-quality/check-my-water-quality/

Then input the figure here - its will be a number 250-350 ish: http://www.morethanpolish.com/maxi-filter-refillable-long-life-water-filter-system.asp

For our 14L filter, multiply the answer by 2.75 as this only gives the figure for the 7L unit

I have a large SUV and can have the same problem, and this has solved the issue for me.

Cheers Mark,PM's sent:thumbsup: