What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Pre War Single Seater

Harmitc

This is the current project, I don't think too many will be interested in this but I have been asked to post a few pictures!

Attachments

• Austin2.jpg
    Austin2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 842
  • Austin3.jpg
    Austin3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 821
  • Austin4.jpg
    Austin4.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 828
  • Austin5.jpg
    Austin5.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 826
  • Austin7.jpg
    Austin7.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 829
  • basic chassis.jpg
    basic chassis.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 808
  • basic chassis 01.jpg
    basic chassis 01.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 816
  • austin01.jpg
    austin01.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 837
Car is about 95% scratch built, pictures are in no particular order, just to show some of the process involved.

Attachments

• front axle 04.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 768
  • front stub ax.jpg
    front stub ax.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 739
  • front axle 01.jpg
    front axle 01.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 745
  • front axle 02.jpg
    front axle 02.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 740
  • chassis.jpg
    chassis.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 761
  • body mockup.jpg
    body mockup.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 754
  • body02.jpg
    body02.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 752
  • cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 755
A few more...

Attachments

• gearbox.jpg
    gearbox.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 738
  • seat frame.jpg
    seat frame.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 730
  • rear body.jpg
    rear body.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 723
  • trial build.jpg
    trial build.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:
If this is to be a long term project may I suggest this becomes a "sticky". I think I can vouch for most of us that such things cause great interest :thumbsup:

That's superb , I just love to see all those spanking new nuts bolts cogs and other bits and bobs, excellent work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your kind words, much appreciated. A fw more pic's below, again in no particular order. Although I've made many parts on modern machines, no part has been drawn that could not be manufactured on manual machines as available pre-war. In away this helped the design asit prevents you being too extreme.

When scratch building a car you get to a point that looks about 80% complete quite quickly (perhaps 1 year), but its the details that took the time. Below are two photos, one of the gear lever and another of the pulleys that guide the brake cables. Important parts but just small details. Every part of these started as a solid lump of aluminium, steel, wood........ First you draw it, then you machine it, then you assemble it! The gearlever alone took about 3 weeks of spare time, its not my full time job, just a few hours here and there!

The 3rd pic are the brackets that tension the leather bonnet straps, there are 4 off them, each one has 3 unique parts and bolts and washers all machined from solid.

Attachments

• brake cable guides.jpg
    brake cable guides.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 347
  • bonnet strap brackets.jpg
    bonnet strap brackets.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 339
  • gearlever.jpg
    gearlever.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 337
The car is approaching completion as shown in the first picture, the others show the rear brake shoes, originals didn't fit my axle mods, so had to make new ones, the car willbe called the "Pea Green Special" so the badges are again machined from brass and hand painted.

Final picture shows the front bulkhead during fabrication, all the bulheads appear solid but are hollow fabrications, machined bobbins sit between 1mm steel frames. Alot of welding has been completed.

Attachments

• trial build02.jpg
    trial build02.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 339
  • brake shoe.jpg
    brake shoe.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 341
  • Austin8.jpg
    Austin8.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 333
  • front bulkhead 02.jpg
    front bulkhead 02.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Awesome project, I'm sure lots of us on here would love to have the dedication to do something along these lines. If all this is done in your spare time I presume you are not married:laugh: . My missus would probably leave me if I spent this much of my time on a similar project ..........................................................................................................................................now there's an idea.:thumbsup:

nice mate, my enxt door neighbours father in law does this, restored a reilly (sp) by hand and made all his own nuts bolts etc. He sold it at bonhams for a large amount of money a month or so ago and is now doing a new project

The car had its first roll out today, all the major work is complete but alot of details to finish, next job is the starter motor, then radiator, then start up! After that make a propshaft and a test drive.

Brakes, clutch,throttle, air pump, advance/retard, gearshift are all operational.

Attachments

• rollout4.jpg
    rollout4.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 306
  • rollout3.jpg
    rollout3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 299
  • Rollout1.jpg
    Rollout1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 304