What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Sell or don't sell? Opinions please.

Gavit

My wife has an ML63 AMG first registered in November 2014. It's black with the performance pack and has just about every extra that can fitted to the car. The condition is 'as new'. No chips, scratches or marks of any kind with perfect wheels and under 14,000 miles (basically it's a weekend toy). Last serviced by MB in December 2016 and full MB warranty until late November 2017.

She wants the 'all new' AMG 4x4 (600+bhp) that will be launched very late 2017/early 2018. The MB main agent we bought it from says that the ML's are much easier to sell in the winter.

So, our dilemma is, do we sell it now while it still has 10 months of warranty left on it or, do we keep hold of it for another 12 months and risk the drop in resale because a) the new model 4x4 is launched and b) the car will no longer have a MB warranty?

Does anyone have any experience of selling an AMG out of warranty and wished that they have sold it earlier? Or, does it not really make that much difference whether it has the original warranty or not?

All opinions welcome!

It'll be a year til the new one is delivered - what does she use til then ?

Surely its easier just to chop old for new especially as the vast majority of the depreciation (which must be in the region of fifty grand) is on leaving the dealer

Surely its easier just to chop old for new especially as the vast majority of the depreciation (which must be in the region of fifty grand) is on leaving the dealer

I agree with this.

I would also recommend reining in the need to have a brand new model. You will have no leverage on either end of the deal.

Wait a year and you may do better, though my recent experience of MB dealers isn't great. I was looking to replace our mk1 XC90 and a GL/GLs was on the list. Only the dealers were disinterested. That and the cost of the things ended up ruling them out (bought a mk2 XC90 instead. Fantastic bit of kit).

Well, as it is only used as a weekend car, going to restaurants shopping etc. I am trying to convince her to get a Bentley GT Convertible. I have always had the hots for a GTC and it's not a bad car to out for dinner in :).

I agree with this.

I would also recommend reining in the need to have a brand new model. You will have no leverage on either end of the deal.

Wait a year and you may do better, though my recent experience of MB dealers isn't great. I was looking to replace our mk1 XC90 and a GL/GLs was on the list. Only the dealers were disinterested. That and the cost of the things ended up ruling them out (bought a mk2 XC90 instead. Fantastic bit of kit).

The ML was actually the Chairman's car of an MB main agent. It was 3 months old when we bought it and we paid £47,000 less than list and we will look to do something similar with the next one.

Regarding the MB dealers. Our son bought a C63 AMG from Watford MB (owned and run by MB) and the service was excellent. We bought this car from our local authorised MB dealer (a large PLC) and the service was/is shocking.

Jaguar F Pace

I would get one of these, much better value and a cracking car.:thumbsup:

I'm not a fan of Mercedes service and quality, my last one was a CLS, it went back and I got a full refund:shocked:

.....though my [first] experience of MB dealers isn't great.......Only the dealers were disinterested.

Same here. Local M-B dealer was not interested in the slightest when we told him exactly what we were looking for (white SLK 250 CDi). We bought ex-demo from Macclesfield instead and save 25% on list, which helped pay for our rather pleasant weekend away!

The local M-B guy phoned about 5 months later to ask if we were still looking, I said No. He didn't even bother to ask why not.

Back on topic, if I had the money to run an ML AMG to the pub & back, I'd get taxis & drunk !!

We love it!

Well, my wife and son went shopping for a 'performance 4x4'. They looked at Range Rovers (too common and awful reliability), Jeep SRT's (sound great, but poor build quality), Porsche Cayenne (terrible reliability) and the ML63 AMG.

The ML sounds like an F1 car, handles brilliantly and is really luxurious. We LOVE it! LOVE it! LOVE it.

If I was being picky and I mean Picky. The reversing camera should be better. It's a bit grainy.

But I know what you mean about dealerships. My son bought a C63 AMG from Watford MB (owned by MB) and the service was excellent. We bought the ML from a local PLC run MB dealership and the customer service is shocking! But the car is AWESOME!!!

Every time you drive it it's like being on holiday it just makes you feel great.

The ML was actually the Chairman's car of an MB main agent. It was 3 months old when we bought it and we paid £47,000 less than list.

Ah that old chestnut...

Seriously forget the Tonka toy and go for the classy GT much better image and a way way nicer place to be.

The margins on the luxury soft-roaders are huge but as has been posted you get rinsed on the way in and out.

My mates mrs has just had her continental gt speed - a project I worked on - for a year and out of an extensive collection she reckons it's the best car she has ever owned.

You won't look back.

Well, my wife and son went shopping for a 'performance 4x4'. They looked at Range Rovers (too common and awful reliability), Jeep SRT's (sound great, but poor build quality), Porsche Cayenne (terrible reliability) and the ML63 AMG.

What issues do the modern Cayenne have? I have an early one (which are reputed to have bore score issues, but I thought that wasn't true of the later ones) - and I love it. It cost me a fair bit when I first bought it (my fault for not checking it properly) but has been pretty reliable since. If / when I decide to replace it I reckon I'll have a newer one - if I decide I can live with 15mpg again.

I have never owned one myself. But I know the manager of a Porsche main agent who is responsible for the buying and selling of all used Porsches at the dealership. He said that the reliability of the Cayenne is awful. His actual words were "No matter how well we prepared and inspected the cars. Every time we sold one we wondered how long it would be before it was back with the service department?"

But, like I say I have no actual first hand knowledge of this myself.

I have never owned one myself. But I know the manager of a Porsche main agent who is responsible for the buying and selling of all used Porsches at the dealership. He said that the reliability of the Cayenne is awful. His actual words were "No matter how well we prepared and inspected the cars. Every time we sold one we wondered how long it would be before it was back with the service department?"

But, like I say I have no actual first hand knowledge of this myself.

Interesting. A shame if it's true - although it's obviously rather different from a ferrari, the Cayenne impresses me a lot. It is far more fun than any car that size should be, and practical too.

I would get one of these, much better value and a cracking car.:thumbsup:...:
Have you ever followed one? They look bloody awful!

There is, however, an XE that parks at my station and that looks very nice. If only they did a 4x4 estate version, I met get one car close to an all Brit garage :)

Have you ever followed one? They look bloody awful!

There is, however, an XE that parks at my station and that looks very nice. If only they did a 4x4 estate version, I met get one car close to an all Brit garage :)

I think that you need to visit Specsavers :shocked:

l think that it looks fine front and back, not that you notice when you're driving and certainly an improvement on the Cayenne.

The XF is worth the extra money if you can afford it, the XE is quite nice but the range is limited and there are some interior quality issues.

I think that you need to visit Specsavers :shocked:

l think that it looks fine front and back, not that you notice when you're driving and certainly an improvement on the Cayenne.
Surely it's just another stupid Chelsea Tractor that I won't be able to see around at junctions, clogging up the south east school runs whilst actually being aimed at fat Americans who can't pronounce 'Jaguar' properly?

Fwiw, I'd take a Cayenne any day of the week, or if I wanted a proper car... a Panamera.

Surely it's just another stupid Chelsea Tractor that I won't be able to see around at junctions, clogging up the south east school runs whilst actually being aimed at fat Americans who can't pronounce 'Jaguar' properly?

Fwiw, I'd take a Cayenne any day of the week, or if I wanted a proper car... a Panamera.

I've always liked the look of panamera, and wouldn't rule out owning one in the future. But - they're flipping' huge. They look as big as a Cayenne (length / width) but without the practicality.

FWIW:hmmm: I think that you've lost the plot:laugh:

The thread is about replacing a Mercedes ML (replaced in 2015 by the GL), the ML measures 4817 x 2141, one suggestion was the Bentley GT :thumbsup: (not by me) this measures 4806 x 1946, you suggested the Porsche Panamera :thumbsdow which measures 5049 x 1937:shocked:
My suggestion was to buy British (well I did vote for Brexit:grin:) the Jaguar F-Pace is surely not a Chelsea Tractor as it only measures 4735 x 1923.

FWIW:hmmm: I think that you've lost the plot:laugh:

The thread is about replacing a Mercedes ML (replaced in 2015 by the GL), the ML measures 4817 x 2141, one suggestion was the Bentley GT :thumbsup: (not by me) this measures 4806 x 1946, you suggested the Porsche Panamera :thumbsdow which measures 5049 x 1937:shocked:
My suggestion was to buy British (well I did vote for Brexit:grin:) the Jaguar F-Pace is surely not a Chelsea Tractor as it only measures 4735 x 1923.
:hmmm: Not sure what you mean Geoff. You mentioned the Jag, nobody else. I'm not sure why it turned into a dimensions contest either! Are you drunk?

:hmmm: Not sure what you mean Geoff. You mentioned the Jag, nobody else. I'm not sure why it turned into a dimensions contest either! Are you drunk?

Here's the plot - the OP was considering his options for replacing his wife's ML, "Mod" suggested a Bentley GT and I suggested a Jaguar F-Pace , you said that the F-Pace was a Chelsea Tractor and that you would prefer a Panamera - the dimensions were to show that the F-Pace is smaller than the other cars!

If you have difficulty in understanding the above perhaps you know a 5 year old who can explain it to you.:laugh:

Why would you suggest that I was drunk:mad: