What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

The Supercar Event 21st & 22nd June 2014

Something I wanted to organise but couldn't (as i couldn't make it), was for CS to have a small stand there with a selection of members cars for folk to have a good look around. Very much like Ken's stand at Bromley Pageant. It would have been another thing for public to enjoy and also a chance e to wave the CS flag to attract some new members.

I see next years dates are up already so perhaps its something we can think about next year ?

I'm sure there are some members here who'd like to join in but aren't too keen about using their cars on the track.

We would be more than happy for you to do that Andy. If fact the Lamborghini Club did just that this year.

Feedback for the Event: (IMO)

"Supercar" parking area should be roped off but "accessible" to the public to get to see the cars. If not logistical, then maybe at lunchtime?

Classic Sports car was a great idea but how about inviting more classics and at a reduced rate for the public of £20 per run? Classic cars could come out at a 30 min morning "break" for the Supercars, at the lunchtime break and again, a 30 min slot in the afternoon? Need more Classics though. This would also facilitate a second drivers briefing at lunchtime to re-interate the driving standards required

Perhaps a separate queuing area for "Hypercar" rides?

Finally, outside of the rides, more "tradestands" and maybe BMX / Motocross display team - as if you weren't happy spending alot of money on multiple rides as a paying attendee, it'd be nice to watch something else that didn't cost money? Although it is a fund raising Event, the commentary did come across as a little pushy to get the rides booked in?

We have to remember that £35 and £75? is quite alot of money for just a few minutes for many people and the crowd expect value from the Event for the other multiple hours as a family that they are there?

Thanks for the feedback Jason, suggestions are always welcome. I will take them forward and discuss them with the committee at the debrief.

I have done this event the last few years in the 348 and yes, always made very welcome. It's a fantastic event. I couldn't make it this year but my point was that with all the modern supercars there, The 348 isn't quite special enough for quite a few paying public for a ride. Like RobC posted, I was even sent round empty last year so not to hold up the line of cars.

I'll do it again as its a great event / cause, but as an answer to why there were no 348's there this year, I suspect the others had similar experience.

Andy

I always fear being overlooked by the other newer Ferraris but when mixed with Porsche, Mercs and Datsuns the Ferraris stood out and EVERYONE who got in mine was please to get in a Ferrari and some even more pleased to get in a classic one. I didn't stick with just running with the classics either.

My thoughts are that i would be a bit disappointed if i got into a Merc or Audi estate, no matter how 'special' they were, if I'd paid £35, which as Jason said is actually a fair chunk - especially as longer helicopter rides were £40 (for adults) I believe. Having said that I realise it is difficult to get enough drivers.

So thoughts on this year

There seemed to be plenty of cars and a good mix, but the available cars dried up a bit mid afternoon on Sunday and then the punter queue dried up when more cars got moving. Many more cars stayed longer on Sunday
Not sure the impact of teh accident on the nearby road on numbers
Driving standards far improved from last two years
Concern that the increase in need for drivers could bring in 'unknowns' and we saw a few trying to infiltrate - swiftly sorted by Pete:thumbsup:
I agree there should be more apart from the rides, but I am sure the committee always try to work on this and it cant be easy. Maybe look at events like Bromley to see what works Side shows of motocross display (if i recall we had bicycle trials before) and i know we have tried car club displays, but I am sure more trade stands could be encouraged if we knew the number of attendees.

Finally a full hats doffed to all the committee, marshals and those loading and unloading. Another excellent safe event well managed :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just a shame Simes didn't fit a rearview camera.....:laugh:

I do understand and have been in the same situation with my 328 both at Littlehavens and one we did with Mal. If the organisers stick to their guns and enforce the rule of no choice then it works as along as there is a queue. On Saturday there was a bad accident on the A281 stopping a lot of people getting to the event and punters were coming through in dribs and drabs for sometime, people were given the choice, oddly somebody wanted to get in a Datsun rather than my 599 so there's no accounting for taste :laugh: (it was an R33 GTR thingy mind :))

It's my opinion but one shared by a number of drivers and commented by some punters that people are not happy paying £35 for a supercar ride and then being put in a Caterham, bog std 911, Fiat 500, Merc estate, M3/ M5 etc, always a contentious issue of course as to what is/ isn't a supercar :)
There is an element of discretion allowed in the Supercar rides. Certainly no one is put in a car that they really do not want to be in, if it is clearly not a supercar. So much also depends on the driver, you can get more of a thrill from a lesser car with a top driver than a clear supercar driven by miss daisy.

Thanks for the feedback Jason, suggestions are always welcome. I will take them forward and discuss them with the committee at the debrief.

Oops sorry Mal, forgot you and your team in my original 'well done' email - top job :thumbsup: and sorry i could't take your son out, I was getting fuel starvation on the previous two runs and whilst the gauge said 1/4 tank when I restarted to drive home the range immediately dropped to single figures and went blank moments after :shocked:, made it to Bramley for a fill up though

Andy

I always fear being overlooked by the other newer Ferraris but when mixed with Porsche, Mercs and Datsuns the Ferraris stood out and EVERYONE who got in mine was please to get in a Ferrari and some even more pleased to get in a classic one. I didn't stick with just running with the classics either.

My thoughts are that i would be a bit disappointed if i got into a Merc or Audi estate, no matter how 'special' they were, if I'd paid £35, which as Jason said is actually a fair chunk - especially as longer helicopter rides were £40 (for adults) I believe. Having said that I realise it is difficult to get enough drivers.

So thoughts on this year

There seemed to be plenty of cars and a good mix, but the available cars dried up a bit mid afternoon on Sunday and then the punter queue dried up when more cars got moving. Many more cars stayed longer on Sunday
Not sure the impact of teh accident on the nearby road on numbers
Driving standards far improved from last two years
Concern that the increase in need for drivers could bring in 'unknowns' and we saw a few trying to infiltrate - swiftly sorted by Pete:thumbsup:
I agree there should be more apart from the rides, but I am sure the committee always try to work on this and it cant be easy. Maybe look at events like Bromley to see what works Side shows of motocross display (if i recall we had bicycle trials before) and i know we have tried car club displays, but I am sure more trade stands could be encouraged if we knew the number of attendees.

Finally a full hats doffed to all the committee, marshals and those loading and unloading. Another excellent safe event well managed :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just a shame Simes didn't fit a rearview camera.....:laugh:

With regards to sideshows it is a bit chicken and egg. We don't want to pay large sums for attractions that do not provide a return and attractions do not want to come if they can't see the value. In the past some attractions have not come back as they have felt it not good value as the public focus too much on the cars. This year we began to see an uplift in interest following the success of 2013. With a further 50% increase in attendance this year it should be easier to attract more interest for 2015.

Oops sorry Mal, forgot you and your team in my original 'well done' email - top job :thumbsup: and sorry i could't take your son out, I was getting fuel starvation on the previous two runs and whilst the gauge said 1/4 tank when I restarted to drive home the range immediately dropped to single figures and went blank moments after :shocked:, made it to Bramley for a fill up though

No worries, Mark... Bruce filled in admirably :thumbsup:

With regards to sideshows it is a bit chicken and egg. We don't want to pay large sums for attractions that do not provide a return and attractions do not want to come if they can't see the value. In the past some attractions have not come back as they have felt it not good value as the public focus too much on the cars. This year we began to see an uplift in interest following the success of 2013. With a further 50% increase in attendance this year it should be easier to attract more interest for 2015.

Mal, I agree and realise that it has been difficult to strike the right balance. I unfortunately for you (the committee who do a load of work) I do not have an answer and I know you spend a long time thinking about these things.

Well I have news of an incredible result of the weekends event, in that we raised a net figure of over £90,000 for the Childrens Trust.

Enormous thanks to all of you who contributed in any way to this fantastic achievement. :thumbsup:

Well I have news of an incredible result of the weekends event, in that we raised a net figure of over £90,000 for the Childrens Trust.

Enormous thanks to all of you who contributed in any way to this fantastic achievement. :thumbsup:

Wow - that is excellent news!

ETA : Are you sure you didn't secretly sell some of our cars? :wink3:

Last edited:

A Net figure! absolutely fantastic, well done all involved :thumbsup:

One fact is year on year it has shown financial growth despite rising costs so this suggests the formula is pretty solid .

I agree with Andrew, there was always another car that might be more attractive, on one occasion a hubby and wife ran towards me and then the wife said "no, I don't want the Porsche" really felt for the guy but she cheered up im sure when he flew past me. Everyone I took out was really happy, and lots of positive feedback such as q's were short and not one moan, a big change on last year.

Again to echo the sentiments of others of the volunteers standing around all day and the organisers making a significant event better than previous years is quite a feat!

Even with a chipped screen Myself and Callum loved it and can't wait to do it again.

Briliant guys :thumbsup:, well done to you all, yet again another fantastic result.

Can i be the first to put my name down for next year :grin:

Wow excellent result :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Next years dates are in the diary :grin::grin:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its getting harder and harder to get the right balance of cars, fact remains as prices have risen we don't get the cars we used to get, however we learn each year.

I need to go through my spreadsheet but there are a number of people who committed and never turned up-which is very annoying. I will do my stats by the arrival of my daughter is my priority :)

However please feel free to drop me a message at my Children's Trust mail address and we will take it on board :)

Fiat 500 on track was not a good idea - public were afraid they might get that rather than a Ferrari:thumbsdow

don't think the guy gave rides but gave the wrong impression imop

...there are a number of people who committed and never turned up

Hi Pete,
To confirm when you do your checks, I was one of those missing. Both health and car transpired against me this year. :(

Very disappointing if the others didn't give you plenty of notice though.
I was gutted to miss it, especially with the good weather.