What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Giles’ 488 Scrapbook

By the way, the professional photos were taken by James his Instagram account is @james_in_the_cotswolds he’s a friend of the previous owner hence the fab photos!

Also the photos taken at The Piston Club for our FOC Sunday lunch were taken by a friend and [JLR] colleague of mine Rob Lawrence with a proper camera, makes a significant difference I think compared with the camera phone pics 👍

I love the height it sits at. Are you finding that it’s too low to drive or do you just want it to be original?
Yep, agreed, looks superb at minus 30mm but Mike (previous owner) said that it does touch on occasion and that would make me wince, and yes again I do like originality, but it didn’t stop me taking the fire extinguisher out! 🤩 Yep, that makes me a max power modder! 🤣
Once the springs are swapped over they are available, I put an ad on here for them at £200. They were fitted in May 2023 and they have just just under 3k miles.
Cheers, Giles

Looked great in the metal yesterday Giles - see if you can get this one to 200,000 miles…
I’ve just worked out who you are! 🙈🤣

Good to see you & C yesterday and thanks for the thumbs up on the car!
Will I be taking this one to the moon and back? Well, I’ve not quite taken the 360 to the moon yet, but I’m hoping it’ll get there one day, figuratively speaking 🤓 (238,855 miles! 🤣)
Short answer no, not expecting to drive this as a daily anytime soon, but who knows, maybe one day? 👍
Cheers, Giles

Yep, agreed, looks superb at minus 30mm but Mike (previous owner) said that it does touch on occasion and that would make me wince, and yes again I do like originality, but it didn’t stop me taking the fire extinguisher out! 🤩 Yep, that makes me a max power modder! 🤣
Once the springs are swapped over they are available, I put an ad on here for them at £200. They were fitted in May 2023 and they have just just under 3k miles.
Cheers, Giles
Unfortunately the car I’m just about to buy doesn’t have lift so they won’t fit, otherwise I would definitely be buying them!

Hi Folks,
Tonight with a friend we went around the entire 488 with a paint depth gauge, kind of the moment of truth, did I buy a pup or not?! ;)
The bonnet and we suspect bumper too have been repainted. The depth gauge only works on the body, not the plastic bumper.
The rest of the body has not been repainted as far as we can tell. This is great news for me!
The triple layer paint plus the ceramic coat means the depth is more than you might think but it’s even over the entire car.
I’m in two minds about removing the carbon wrap on the mirrors as they do offer protection against bush and scrub damage, and it ties in with the dark rims and side air splitter and sill finisher. We will see.
Cheers, Giles

Siy & Nosevi, appreciate the mirror ties in with the black elements on the side graphic of the car but(!), I would like the wheels back to Matte Grigio Corsa, so they won’t be black at some point (not sure when) and I can’t help think Max Power magazine from the 90’s when I see the carbon wrap, maybe I’m being too sniffy about the ‘mod’ not sure, hence the reason the mirrors are still proudly wearing wrap! Maybe it won’t look so severe once the ride height is back to standard (w/c 6th Nov!) and the rims are back to grey. After that, I will take a view 👍
Cheers, Giles

Hi Folks,
Front numberplate….
Ok, on my original 488, I fitted the Carbonio clamp on numberplate bracket, it did exactly as described, held tight, without drilling/damage. It did however cost about £300 or more with the import tax.
So…. I have been trying to get hold of the OEM plate plinth bracket that requires the bumper to be drilled, it appears that most people junk these on day one of ownership!
I’ve played with a few ideas, but come up with the following centre mounted plate.
Comments on the letter spacing is prohibited! 🤣🙈
IMG_1818.jpeg
IMG_1820.jpeg
IMG_1817.jpeg
The reasoning behind, ‘will it work?’, goes like this….
You might think the middle of the plate where the ‘61’ is might get pushed in with the strength of the airflow at speed. However I think this area will be the stagnation point, essentially at that point the airflow is separating outboard towards the side (and downwards) of the plate/vehicle, so if anything, the O and S Will be the areas taking the load but crucially the distance from the end of the plate to the bumper vertical section where the double sided tape is fixing the plate is short enough not to deflect. Evidence for this is that the Carbonio clamp on plate mount is narrower than the vertical mount points here.
Time will tell and I will keep an eye on it.

The main reason I use this 3M tape on all my plates is the simple fact that it doesn’t leave any tape on the bodywork when you switch back to the original plate. The number of hours I have spent taking old foam sticky pads off bodywork, very frustrating!
If this works, it’s a good solution to that daft question, where do you put your plate? Loads cheaper than a Carbonio item too 🤩👍
Cheers, Giles

Last edited:
I was spotted today by one of my friends in his cherry red Panamera eHybrid and was promptly sent this…..
989b8f70-ccd2-473b-b2b0-5a9d761956e1.jpeg
His comment was something along the lines of nice rear 🤩
I think the back of the 488 is more tidy than the 458, but still think that 458 front end is super sharp with those cuts/vents inboard of the headlamps.

Front numberplate update:
I strongly *suspect* that *if* you travelled at double the U.K. single carriageway speed limit it would not fall off, just a *hunch*, purely *speculative*, who knows? 🤣👍
Cheers, Giles

I was spotted today by one of my friends in his cherry red Panamera eHybrid and was promptly sent this…..
View attachment 159779
His comment was something along the lines of nice rear 🤩
I think the back of the 488 is more tidy than the 458, but still think that 458 front end is super sharp with those cuts/vents inboard of the headlamps.

Front numberplate update:
I strongly *suspect* that *if* you travelled at double the U.K. single carriageway speed limit it would not fall off, just a *hunch*, purely *speculative*, who knows? 🤣👍
Cheers, Giles
Personally prefer front of 488 to 458. I think the 488 looks lower, wider and more aggressive from the front. It’s really noticeable when they are sat next to each other.

Personally prefer front of 488 to 458. I think the 488 looks lower, wider and more aggressive from the front. It’s really noticeable when they are sat next to each other.
I'm nit picking, love the look of both, but I agree with the above.

going back to your wheel colour - I would agree - Am not a massive fan of black wheels....although they do look great on yours..... but much prefer going back to originals

Hi Folks,
Spring swap time 👍
H&R lowering springs (red) have been taken off and the standard springs have been fitted (black).
IMG_1995.jpeg
IMG_1999.jpeg
IMG_2010.jpeg
IMG_2011.jpeg
Red springs to be removed.
Black springs fitted:
IMG_2013.jpeg
I questioned all the body sealer around the base of the windscreen and inside the wheel housing envelope, apparently they are all like this, not particularly elegant under the skin!
Wiper mechanism / motors were removed so a fault code needed clearing.
IMG_2018.jpeg
Ready to go 👍
IMG_2016.jpeg
Next job will be to get the geo checked and corrected if required, off to Damax Engineering for that.
Cheers, Giles

That's a great looking car you have and love the colour.

The 488 front end is a nicer / tidier design than the 458 IMO, the 458 has strange vents around the headlamps and an odd looking front splitter.

It's all subjective of course, some people might like that.

Hi Folks,
I’ve just loaded my 488 to the Ferrari App, if you have not got this app, I would recommend it as it gives you the spec as left the factory and also details of recall campaigns etc…
I think because my 488 is an Atelier car on the Ferrari app there are photos of my specific 488 in build, quite interesting to a nerd like me!
Here are the photos I found in the App.

Here in body-in-white with closures. What appears as headlamps are the side pod air intake splitters, interesting as mine are carbon, maybe every car gets painted splitters and are switched out for the optional carbon ones if specified?
IMG_3403.jpeg
Out of paint, pre closures refitted.
I guess the process is BIW (body-in-white) complete with closures, then it’s closures off, and through paint as separate items to be refitted to the BIW later.
IMG_3404.jpeg

Then, this is, I guess, post T&F (trim & final) on the quality assurance line pre ship complete with protective transit wrap, or could be before/after track test drive?
I note the rear deck tricolour/tricolor Italian flag badge isn’t fitted at this stage. Could that be a dealer fit item?
IMG_3402.jpeg

The wheels are the option Forged Matt Grigio Corsa rims, I plan to return these to the as factory finish as soon as I can find someone confident they can replicate the finish/colour.
Great spec, looks superb in this as-left-the-factory livery. My ridiculous mirror carbon wrap needs to go too!
Cheers, Giles

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
I’ve just loaded my 488 to the Ferrari App, if you have not got this app, I would recommend it as it gives you the spec as left the factory and also details of recall campaigns etc…
I think because my 488 is an Atelier car on the Ferrari app there are photos of my specific 488 in build, quite interesting to a nerd like me!
Here are the photos I found in the App.

Here in body-in-white with closures. What appears as headlamps are the side pod air intake splitters, interesting as mine are carbon, maybe every car gets painted splitters and are switched out for the optional carbon ones if specified?
View attachment 159957
Out of paint, pre closures refitted.
I guess the process is BIW (body-in-white) complete with closures, then it’s closures off, and through paint as separate items to be refitted to the BIW later.
View attachment 159958

Then, this is, I guess, post T&F (trim & final) on the quality assurance line pre ship complete with protective transit wrap, or could be before/after track test drive?
I note the rear deck tricolour/tricolor Italian flag badge isn’t fitted at this stage. Could that be a dealer fit item?
View attachment 159959

The wheels are the option Forged Matt Grigio Corsa rims, I plan to return these to the as factory finish as soon as I can find someone confident they can replicate the finish/colour.
Great spec, looks superb in this as-left-the-factory livery. My ridiculous mirror carbon wrap needs to go too!
Cheers, Giles
I think the tricolour badge must be fitted after this stage, because it is missing on my build picture too, but it is on the spec sheet and the car!