What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

No more free F1 from 2019

For me the big point is that no large corporation shows any concern for the hoi poloi, I'm quite happy to "rip off" any of these large corporations, tough if you don't like it, I wouldn't rip off a small organisation or individual, but BE and Murdoch are fair game.
Just don't be surprised when someone else decides the organisation you work for is a "large corporation" that warrants being ripped off.

Tip of the iceberg it may be, but this sort of stuff is where the values of this country have descended to. And from people with enough wherewithal to buy and run a Ferrari - peasants the lot of you :D

Just don't be surprised when someone else decides the organisation you work for is a "large corporation" that warrants being ripped off.

Tip of the iceberg it may be, but this sort of stuff is where the values of this country have descended to. And from people with enough wherewithal to buy and run a Ferrari - peasants the lot of you :D

The turning point for "this worm" was the (ongoing) MP expenses scandal and the Apple etc. Corporation tax (fiasco) issue, they're all fair game to me:dude:

Err, just out of interest as somebody whom has just lined Murdoch's pockets (again) :D.

The four devices for Sky Go. Does it only allow you to download the app (phones/tablets) to four different devices or do you mean only four can watch it simultaneously?
I guess the answer will be.. only four devices and one at a time :laugh: that ******* Murdoch!#

Just read it. Two devices one at a time with a Sky+ account, Sky Q ?? allows three devices.

Last edited:
After snoozing through most of the Bah! Rain event ole Murdoch can keep his crappy wacky races!

Time to fire up you tube and watch wobbly old video's of Minardis and Fortis dodging out of the way of Williams and Ferraris! Mullets ahoy!

Genuine question then - do you see why some just don't see flappy paddles, hybrid quiet fuel efficient engines, turbos ....... advancement if you like....... as something to be relished or celebrated? I actually feel the same about the road cars. Sometimes I think it's a shame you can't strip away the technology and go back to this, I know you can't but it's a pity:

http://youtu.be/GTJZTc1U1tM

Edit: Just watched the GP on Sky. No I don't like paying as much as I do for it but that's what it costs. As all sports migrate off 'terrestrial' tv you'll pay someone somewhere for it all.

I don't dislike F1 because of its tech on the contrary I love the technical advancement, what I cannot stand is how you can have a 'race' with only a handful of overtaking possibilities in a weekend.

Why has it we have got to a point where we believe low tech = more competitive?

That's the thing Bernie and the teams should be working on

Football fans will prioritise football over virtually anything.

I'm not sure F1 fans will.....I flicked it on yesterday and it was dull. I stopped watching after 10 mins.
I used to prefer the before/after red button stuff. Now that is full of adverts (on sky also?)....

In the UK it will wither away like many other better followed sports have.

Well done Bernie [emoji106]

I don't dislike F1 because of its tech on the contrary I love the technical advancement, what I cannot stand is how you can have a 'race' with only a handful of overtaking possibilities in a weekend.

Not more competitative, just more exciting.

When you're at the stage when it's all about tyre strategy, they're driving to conserve fuel (coz obviously F1 should be 'green'.....), and you have to artificially change the cars to lower drag as the only way to overtake you're starting lose the plot. Is the racing anything like as exciting as it has been in the past? Nope. Tracks are pretty similar, sure driver ability is there or there abouts, the change has been the cars and the rules brought in an attempt to make very dull slightly less so. Sit all the drivers in cars from any decade 80's backwards and you'd get exciting racing. High tech is very clever but exciting racing it does not make!

Not more competitative, just more exciting.

When you're at the stage when it's all about tyre strategy, they're driving to conserve fuel (coz obviously F1 should be 'green'.....), and you have to artificially change the cars to lower drag as the only way to overtake you're starting lose the plot. Is the racing anything like as exciting as it has been in the past? Nope. Tracks are pretty similar, sure driver ability is there or there abouts, the change has been the cars and the rules brought in an attempt to make very dull slightly less so. Sit all the drivers in cars from any decade 80's backwards and you'd get exciting racing. High tech is very clever but exciting racing it does not make!
I'm totally with you on F1, and prefer low tech road cars. But the WEC is great - high tech cars & good racing, so it's not just the tech that's the problem.

I'd love Ferrari to ditch F1 and build an LMP1 car

I'm totally with you on F1, and prefer low tech road cars. But the WEC is great - high tech cars & good racing, so it's not just the tech that's the problem.

I'd love Ferrari to ditch F1 and build an LMP1 car

That's true but with the WEC they use technology to try to innovate - the rules leave far more up to the ingenuity of the teams to see what they can do with it. Having different classes all on the same track also mixes things up. With F1 half the technology seems to be there to counter the other half - DRS is needed because the aero is such that 'drafting' or slip-streaming is impossible. Why not look at the root cause?

It's not all tech though, I'll admit that. Some of the decisions made are barking if you really want competition. One team has gained dominance yet the rules restricted others from developing their engines in order to catch up. Limited testing saves almost no money (many poorer teams used to use RAF bases to test for free, I've lived at both a Williams and a Force India test track :) ) and benefits teams with multi-million pound simulators instead.

Football fans will prioritise football over virtually anything.

I'm not sure F1 fans will.....I flicked it on yesterday and it was dull. I stopped watching after 10 mins.
I used to prefer the before/after red button stuff. Now that is full of adverts (on sky also?)....

In the UK it will wither away like many other better followed sports have.

Well done Bernie [emoji106]

That's because fan is short for 'fanatic' and in football these used to be the very people inside the grounds who created all the atmosphere and were intrinsic to the spectacle itself. Maggie declared war on football fans after the Luton riot and with the police incollusion and doing their bit to demonise football fans even if not to blame for all its Troubles the basis for the systematic gentrification of the game was put in place and is now virtually complete.

In F1 the only fanatics I see are the Italian Tifosi (typhoid carriers - the great unwashed) who idolise The scuderia and are like the old football mobs in many respects. Still the gentrification of the spectacle and hence its crowd has taken place. Weekend in Yas Marina for the affluent couple is now the target market. But of course this is only to provide the glamour to entice in the legion of global armchair supporters that will actually drive revenue.

I'm with you in all of that. Taking a giant step sideways I guess i'd say that this is all inevitable evolution. The trouble with anything that is evolving is that the afficionado's on the inside will always hark back to the good old days when they first got excited about something. The process of evolution will move the thing that they love into a place that they no longer love or recognise. So for a 50-something bloke the current flavour of F1 will miss many of the essential elements that dragged him in as an excitable kid. Its inevitable.

So, the essential question to ask is...Does the sport still create passion and excitement in a 10 year old kid?

I'm with you in all of that. Taking a giant step sideways I guess i'd say that this is all inevitable evolution. The trouble with anything that is evolving is that the afficionado's on the inside will always hark back to the good old days when they first got excited about something. The process of evolution will move the thing that they love into a place that they no longer love or recognise. So for a 50-something bloke the current flavour of F1 will miss many of the essential elements that dragged him in as an excitable kid. Its inevitable.

So, the essential question to ask is...Does the sport still create passion and excitement in a 10 year old kid?

That's a very valid point. I often comment similar about music. I love the music I listened to in the 70's above most other, even the work those musicians did then more than now. That's probably nostalgia to a large degree. I think maybe similar with other hobbies or interests.

I never watched F1 at all until 2005. Always watched the WRC (well a few years before that), F1 never interested me at all. It came about that because I bought a Ferrari a friend decided an F1 Ferrari history book was in order for Christmas. So I read the book and decided I might like F1.
That was the first year Ferrari did not win the championship. It was my interest that obviously gave them bad luck :tongue3:

I only watched F1 then because Ferrari competed. I think I've become once again less interested but that is in part to it being ever more predictable.

I don't really know anybody that watches F1 outside my age range. Mostly work colleagues and at least one or two of them have tired of it now.

I don't have the stats to hand, but I'm sure I read F1 isn't appealing to yoof - it's a mature audience. And this is most likely down to the fact that it's run by old folk who don't understand what yoof today want - social media etc

According to Channel 4, the broadcast – the first of ten live races it will show in 2016 – averaged 2.3m, with a peak of 3.2m. It added it was the most watched channel in its time slot.

By contrast, Sky Sports F1 – which shows every race live on its pay channel - is known to average just over 600,000 viewers per race, while BBC's live coverage averaged around 3 million in 2015.

Be interesting to see how this progresses

According to Channel 4, the broadcast – the first of ten live races it will show in 2016 – averaged 2.3m, with a peak of 3.2m. It added it was the most watched channel in its time slot.

By contrast, Sky Sports F1 – which shows every race live on its pay channel - is known to average just over 600,000 viewers per race, while BBC's live coverage averaged around 3 million in 2015.

Be interesting to see how this progresses

Sky won't care. They paid peanuts (relatively speaking) for F1. It's just a means to add a few more Sports subscribers to pay for the football.

I don't know anyone who subscribed to Sky for F1 alone but plenty existing ones harped on about iit to justify £85 a month for HD.

Last edited:
Sky won't care. They paid peanuts (relatively speaking) for F1. It's just a means to add a few more Sports subscribers to pay for the football.

I don't know anyone who subscribed to Sky for F1 alone but plenty existing ones harped on about iit to justify £85 a month for HD.

I didn't subscribe to sky sports 'just' for the F1 but it was the decider to pay out for it. Had dropped sky sports years ago but decided to subscribe again once F1 was added.

This was however not actually my decision and more my wife's. She'd worked out it was by far cheaper for us to pay for sky sports than for me to go to the local pub to watch it on their tv. It also meant that after the race I was actually still able to do a few jobs or cook dinner, whereas watching in the pub with a 1pm start meant she wouldn't see me till Monday ......

That's the thing Bernie and the teams should be working on
The cars are too fast for the circuits and the general appetite for risk. And the governing body has done nothing much but tinker round the edges and faff about with the formula for the last decade or more.

First thing I'd do is abolish or very markedly reduce the whole aero piece. Get the cars far more reliant on mechanical grip.

With that constraint I'd be inclined to have a much more open rule book. Get some innovation into the mix. The more teams push the boundaries, the less reliable the cars will be - that living on the edge was part of what made it exciting in the 80s to me as a kid.

With this we could possibly do with high quality new circuits which are a lot bigger (wider and longer) to allow multiple lines and more room for overtaking and mistakes.

And with current circuits, stop denuding them. The sport is risky. Take that away and it loses some of its edge too. We don't want to go back to the 60s and 70s wrt serious incidents. But the a car on a circuit isn't inherently dangerous in itself per se...

The attempts to curb costs should be forgotten about too. F1 isn't cheap and never has been. It's meant to be the pinnacle. If the number of teams able to compete starts to dwindle it will find its own path one way or another. Messing about as they have been is like having trying to keep something past its best alive for mercenary reasons.

Even then though, the whole thing is far more professional these days and that erases much of the soul out of it IMO. There are no real characters any more. No allowance for flare. I'd almost be more interested watching a computer drive the cars round a circuit these days.

I suspect Formula E will end up being where it's at. And, sacrilegious as it might be to say it, it may be a good thing to take non-internal combustion engine transport forwards. Younger people will inevitably be brought up on hybrids/full electric cars and so the things that got me excited in F1 and motorsport in general (I also went to rallies, including GpB) probably won't apply to them (the noise, the visceral nature of the machines, the sheer difficulty of controlling a largely manual car in extremis etc). Racing will still excite but it'll continue to evolve in a "digital" direction I suspect.

I cannot see us ever getting back to shrieking V12s emerging through the rain at Blanchimont, going flat through Copse, or tracing you preferred car by sound only all the way around Monaco. It's sad, but times have moved on and I doubt can be reversed. Trying to do so is like trying to hold back the tide.

I agree with all that Murph. I also do think the future will lie with an E-formula.

I went to see the London Formula E last summer ....... it has a very long way to go before it becomes close to F1. It was truly pathetic.

I watched Formula E on itv4 or whatever on Sunday.

Dreadful to watch. No noise, slow and you could tell they all weighed about 18 tonnes the way they bobbed over bumps like a milk float.....:laugh:
What's this changing cars for a new one half way through all about also? :hmmm: refueling :laugh: