What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

2017 f1 rule changes

I was at the track Monday/Tuesday. If anyone wants to see some photos, go here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ow4dkm5wo1lvctn/AACGBn_zG0wYx71yeEHsnNYSa/F1_TEST_17?dl=0

In terms of car performance, difficult to tell given that it was the first couple of days of testing. The Ferrari and Merc both looked like they were on rails through the faster corners. The Red Bull seemed a bit more of a handful, although MV seemed to enjoy booting the rear around on the throttle, and the Renault rear end looked awful under braking/harvesting. Bit disappointing to see McLaren still having a shocker.

By far the biggest mistake committed over winter seems to be the hiring of Lance Stroll. He looked well out of his depth.

Looks loverly in pink :laugh::laugh:

Hulkenberg mentioned it on his Twitter account. Along the lines of "You know why I left Force India now" :laugh:

Utterly unfounded but have a good feeling for Ferrari this coming year.

That was prophetic......... perhaps. Have to see how the season goes but the Mercs certainly didn't seem to have dominant pace in the first race.

That was prophetic......... perhaps. Have to see how the season goes but the Mercs certainly didn't seem to have dominant pace in the first race.

Lewis ( in clean air ) could not get away from Vettel over the first 20 laps or so ..... maximum gap about 1.5 - 2 seconds.

Vettel ( in clean air ) pulled 8 seconds on Lewis in a handful of laps.

Looking OK for a decent fight this year i hope.

Lewis ( in clean air ) could not get away from Vettel over the first 20 laps or so ..... maximum gap about 1.5 - 2 seconds.

+1

Quite like Toto Wolff......... but equally enjyed watching his frustration when Vettle jumped Hamilton in the pits.

Max V looked to have pace catching Kimi as well. A 3 horse race (as in 3 constructors) would be good for the sport imo.

I wonder if that means the Ferrari runs better at close quarters to a car in front...which I think is what the new regs were trying to achieve (in part). Didn't watch the race, so tyre strategy might also have played a part.

The Merc would still seem to be the faster car in terms of raw speed. But race trim is a different matter.

I do hope pit crews aren't the deciding factor though. Whilst it's part of the team game, it's not where races ought to be won and lost IMO.

McLaren still look to have a mountain to climb. Alonso is fast becoming an albatross where teams are concerned - I wonder just how good a development driver he is...

Having been in the Schumacher stand for the last 3 days you get a true picture of who is on the money.These chicanes before the main straight and the exhaust notes from the leading teams tell the story.
Do not underestimate the Mercedes team,flawless over the entire 3 days.Ferrari did their homework well and understood their tyres better. The interesting part we enjoyed was watching Valtteri Bottas put the heat up on Lewis Hamilton.Yes traffic caused issues for Hamilton but no different to what Vettel had to go through as Vettel closed in on him.Overall in my humble opinion the Ferrari have the pace,rest is up to the drivers.

Having been in the Schumacher stand for the last 3 days you get a true picture of who is on the money.These chicanes before the main straight and the exhaust notes from the leading teams tell the story.
Do not underestimate the Mercedes team,flawless over the entire 3 days.Ferrari did their homework well and understood their tyres better. The interesting part we enjoyed was watching Valtteri Bottas put the heat up on Lewis Hamilton.Yes traffic caused issues for Hamilton but no different to what Vettel had to go through as Vettel closed in on him.Overall in my humble opinion the Ferrari have the pace,rest is up to the drivers.

Good to get first hand observations John - there's only so much than we can learn from a distance. Thanks for being our man on the spot!

To tell the truth as spectators we found it very frustrating the giant TV's nor race commentators would give us the time splits between leaders or pit stops.We could see who was catching who but sometimes you want to see the times.
Wouldn't it be great if we could get our members give their first hand observations for every race!