What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Golf improvement thread

Keep it going Pete very interesting thread!

Even for us 28+ handicappers! I just got worse and gave up for ten years after struggling to hit a good drive, but my interest was rekindled this year as my 25 year old son bought some clubs, I borrowed his over size driver (never used one before) and could not believe it I actually could hit a reasonable straight drive and I'm now enjoying the game again. I definitely need a new set of clubs though, my old steel shafted RAMS with sticky handles seriously need replacing they must be twenty years old and using my son's new Galloways I now know why I struggeed and gave up, I can't believe the difference in my game using new equipment

Last edited:
Keep it going Pete very interesting thread!

Even for us 28+ handicappers! I just got worse and gave up for ten years after struggling to hit a good drive, but my interest was rekindled this year as my 25 year old son bought some clubs, I borrowed his over size driver (never used one before) and could not believe it I actually could hit a reasonable straight drive and I'm now enjoying the game again. I definitely need a new set of clubs though, my old steel shafted RAMS with sticky handles seriously need replacing they must be twenty years old and using my son's new Galloways I now know why I struggeed and gave up, I can't believe the difference in my game using new equipment

Good to hear you're enjoying getting back into the game, Jez. I've pretty much bowed out of posting up everything I'm doing on that US forum on post #320, just not worth the hassle and frankly it's more of a distraction than a help at times. I'll keep the odd snippet posted on here though to let any that are interested know what I'm up to. I'm heavily into 'winter training' now, lots of indoor swing stuff. Spent yesterday morning with a guy called Sam Whitaker (about number 20 in England right now, plays off plus 5 I think) in the swing studio and have a tour player called Rob Harris popping over for a practice session later. Really is useful practising with guys like this. Once you get over feeling a tad inadequate you find the stuff you learn from them is invaluable when it comes to improving your own game.

what a nightmare - not hit a ball for over 5 weeks ,......and straight onto the 1st tee..............err yes well , got a bit better by the 3rd.

sadly my back still hurts a bit

what a nightmare - not hit a ball for over 5 weeks ,......and straight onto the 1st tee..............err yes well , got a bit better by the 3rd.

sadly my back still hurts a bit

Really wouldn't push it too much with a bad back, mate. Not many things worse for a knackered back than a golf swing :(

I know.....going to take another week off ! - then start lessons again to stop BAD HABITS forming ! lol

Got a lesson myself on Monday over at the National Academy at Woodhall Spa. Heavily into working on my swing now we're into the winter and the indoor swing studio is really coming into its own.

In other news I've just started reading a new book - The Golf Practice Manual by Adam Young. Really good book and very much along the lines I look at golf. It's all about the importance of results vs 'form' ie how it's more important how you impact the ball rather than how your swing looks etc. This is an article written by him. If it strikes a chord with you (itdid me) I highly recommend picking up a copy.

http://www.adamyounggolf.com/top-myths-in-golf/

I know.....going to take another week off ! - then start lessons again to stop BAD HABITS forming ! lol

well what with another back complaint I have not hit a ball for weeks.

good news though - going back to part time :thumbsup: so I can start playing again

well what with another back complaint I have not hit a ball for weeks.

good news though - going back to part time :thumbsup: so I can start playing again

That'll certainly help :thumbsup:

As well as continuing to work on my game.........

Set of 5 drives shot a couple of days ago to give an idea where I am off the tee these days:

IMG_7851.JPG

............ I'm also doing something a little fun. As any who have followed this know I have an indoor golf sim at home which is going to be seriously useful over the winter. While the graphics are 'ok' the guys that make golf sims charge quite a bit for the software (about £1000 - £1500 for a few courses) and the graphics aren't exactly cutting edge. Here's a reminder of my set up and an idea of the graphics:

Foresight020215_07.jpg

Anyway a guy I've come across on a golf forum in the States has taken the step of taking the Bluetooth output my launch monitor has and importing it directly into a brand new golf 'game'. Basically instead of clicking a mouse you hit the real ball and the flight in the game is exactly what it would be in real life or on my existing software. Now game is in inverted commas, if any of you watch the golf on Sky, when they do the commentary using the 'skycart' etc they are in fact using a cut down, early version of this software:

https://vimeo.com/121251648

I'm helping beta test the software with my launch monitor and first impressions are simply WOW. The graphics are stunning. How good? This gives an idea, this is 'in game':

https://vimeo.com/61099281

As well as having absolutely amazing graphics it's also totally multiplayer and you can talk to other players in real time through the mic on your computer. They're running small tournaments already for the beta testers which look like a laugh although just using it single player (or a couple of players in my place) would be fine for me. I've got internet in the sim room though so could have a bash in a tournament if I want.

And the clincher? Unlike the £1000 charged by the sim companies for their software I just paid £14 for it :)

So what am I going to be doing as the weather closes in? Having a blast on some of the courses in the game on my sim. Also in game graphics:

maxresdefault.jpg

perfect_parallel.jpg

Last edited:
Pete just let me know where those virtual courses are and I will land my real plane on them to see if I can leave some virtual tyre marks on the greens :grin: On a serious note graphics are just getting so good that we are approaching Total Recall where no one will ever have to leave the house to go anywhere !!

Pete just let me know where those virtual courses are and I will land my real plane on them to see if I can leave some virtual tyre marks on the greens :grin: On a serious note graphics are just getting so good that we are approaching Total Recall where no one will ever have to leave the house to go anywhere !!

It is pretty good. Tell you what though - choice between a round on there and one in the real world and it's not close, real world every time. But for times when you can't it's beyond what I thought a golf sim could be like, really is fantastic and pretty excited to be beta testing it. One thing that's pretty cool is you can play against guys Using different inputs (or will be able to soon). I can play against a mate, him clicking a mouse but me hitting real golf balls. They've opened up a tournament now for the beta testers to have a go at. Wish me luck :)

typical, 2 weeks off for xmas and its hardly stopped raining, but I have managed to get down to the range twice to trying hitting a few.

and got 9 holes in yesterday with a friend of mine who plays off 8........so that's a 25 footer for par on the 1st then ...haha......swiftly followed by a lovely 2nd from 178 yrds to 3 ft for a birdie.

not sure he was too impressed as I was only 5 over after 9 !

muttered something about my handicap being miles our and wondered if I would partner him in the comps before the committee gets onto me

sadly though my back hurts today

A little like you, Mark, I've been improving while not actually playing for handicap. Last year I played several matches, all matchplay so my handicap remained at 5.1. The rules for handicaps have changed so your handicap doesn't lapse anymore although a club can specify you can't win prizes in a comp if they think about it and bother to publish that before the comp starts. This was a round I shot just before Christmas on my home track which is Par 72 but SSS 73:

round1.jpg

round2.jpg

Obviously my whole game is coming on but one area in particular that has continued to progress is my distance off the tee. This gap test was shot on a GC2 so it's zero wind, perfect temp etc. But it is highly accurate - it's used by Butch Harmon as well as loads of the top tour pros:

IMG_7890s.jpg

My target for being good enough to mix it with the guys on the 3rd tier tour I'd like a shot at is 4 years from now but in this area I've closed the gap to them already. But if you want to play courses over 7000 yards and expect to compete you need this kind of fire power available. Well, maybe not quite carrying a drive over 290 but certainly more than 260 :)

my coach has just had the latest foresight installed - great fun !

if I had a garage I would put one in.........now where is the planning application for stables :grin:

my coach has just had the latest foresight installed - great fun !

if I had a garage I would put one in.........now where is the planning application for stables :grin:

As in the GC2A from foresight sports? That's what I've got in my garage :thumbsup:

No idea which model - but it's on my shopping list

GC2 is the mobile one so you can take it to the range, GC2A is the same but you can blutooth it to your ipad to collect data out and about. GC2-T is a static unit that can only be used at home.. In my opinion getting the T varient misses out on one of the best things about the GC2 - use mine away from home all the time.

http://www.foresightsports.com/catalog/launch-monitor

all I can say is no amount of kit would have saved me from the **** I sent down today .

felt rushed all the way round :thumbsdow

oh well, going to try a mini driver tomorrow for a change , plus a few other bats lol

Good luck with the new clubs :thumbsup:

I'm trying a few setup changes myself, always a pain. Played 18 holes today and took me till the 16th to really feel like I had control of my ball flight. Good drive on 18 though. Was down breeze but only 5 degrees C with very little roll still but went into the green with a 9 iron. It's a par 5 so got to be happy with that :)

nice :thumbsup:

My back is hurting today, so I might have to give it a rest, plus I also have an xray later on my right knee :thumbsdow as its not quite right