What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Golf improvement thread

Well played 9 today with my son , who sadly had one of those days where every part of his game was working - half of me was impressed - the other half really annoyed I was having to get a par just to get a half !

Sadly I lost by 4&3 and even then on the last 3 holes I only won one - so even worse !

Worst I have ever lost :cry3::cry3:

I lost 4 & 3 last time out so don't feel too bad.........

I was playing a tour pro off zero handicaps at the time but still :)

Was practising with him today actually. He's off to spain next week for a warmup tournament before his season starts properly on the Challenge Tour in Kenya. Swing studio being set for 30 degrees C over the weekend for a gap testing (getting accurate club yardages) in the temps you get there at this time of year. Now that's something you can't do down the local driving range in February :)

tried the new JPX's............didn't like those at all , and as for a mini driver - hmmmm I was not 100 % convinced, so will wait to try the new ping G 3 wood when it comes out in a few weeks .

otherwise, I think I am going to take to the practice ground for a few hours to practice different aspects of my game - and give my knee a rest :thumbsup:

what a crap day on the course, rushed out with no warm up ....and having spent the last couple of days pondering my swing at home - big mistake.

could not find any sort of swing I might as well not have bothered - in fact I walked off

the good news is that I am finishing at the end of this term so I can get back to golf full time :thumbsup:

injuries permitting :laugh:

having started lessons again and bedding in a fundamental change to my swing things are clearly a bit iffy - and quite rightly I got slaughtered by my son who was firing on all cylinders last week......:thumbsdow

so it was with some trepidation that I teed off today with him still going on about the shovels I play with. **** it, I'm going to use my driver today regardless (I never use it anymore nor practice with it as its so iffy and far safer to play a FW).

Well bless my cotton socks it was firing on all cylinders and I hit possibly my best ever 3 drives today. he even looked miffed on the par 5 as I put my 2nd in the ditch , took a drop and then hit a lovely approach from 150 to 5 ft.......hello par.

which wrapped up a nice 4 & 3 win....

things are looking up :thumbsup: although a bit more bunker practice required :hmmm:

All sounds like good news :thumbsup:

I haven't really updated this thread. I practice every day (I worked out I've only had one day without any practice at all so far this year and that wasn't my birthday) and while there's loads of stuff I could post there doesn't really seem the interest on here so I haven't done. Here's a snippet though taken from a few holes played at silly O'clock a couple of days ago:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459973836.597678.jpg

What does that mean? Well it's an analysis of my approach play that day - One round a week is totally analysed and every shot is 'scored' in terms of Strokes Gained against PGA Tour average performance. Every one of those shots that was green is better than average performance on the PGA Tour. So looking at the first one I was exactly 174 yards on the fairway from the flag for my second shot on the first hole and put it to 18 feet from the pin (distances on the green are in feet). Best shot was on hole 7, my approach was the first shot (it is a par 3) I was 156 yards from the pin and put it to 2 feet. This gained me 0.98 of a shot on the PGA Tour pros average performance.

The level of data we look at is pretty in depth - ball launch data, on course strokes gained in putting, short game, approach play and driving, performance targets on the practice area, high speed video analysis, mental game analysis, physical profiling....... I'll maybe get back to updating this thread when I have something tangible to report that's not just a string of data.

Anyone one on this Golfing Thread going on the CS Wales trip???

I only ask as last year at RAF scampton I brought up with me two carrier bags full of golf balls with the intention of giving them to Pete but forgot to give them you:cry3:
So drove them back home again:mad:

Anyway I gave those away, but have a few more bags of these silly little golf balls I find when I walk the dog over the golf course every week.
Free to a good home, gives me more room in the garage.

You can't believe how crap they must play by me to keep losing so many, plus I have a couple of drivers and irons also FOC.

I don't play:
But I will be watching this little programme called the Masters:grin:

Very much appreciated, mate.

If you can't get them to me you could always sent them down to Markst - he might need them more :grin:

Scorecard from early this morning - made a right hash of the 9th but GIR and fairways hit was ok. Course is a par 72 Standard Scratch 73 which I play from the back of the competition tees in practice.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460057209.631774.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460057223.454382.jpg

What do I mean by early? This was the second green - being able to hit the fairway is pretty important at this time in the morning.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460057292.811258.jpg

thought I would play in my 1st comp of the year.....the April Stableford ..........oh blimey its a field of 174......then a quick 41 points and a win by 1.

:laugh::laugh:

Well done, Mark. Still got to kick my season off - slight niggle with my back is delaying it a tad. Only scoring game I've had so far this summer was against a mate of mine and I lost 1 down on the 18th. Was up for most of the match - birdied 2, 3 and 4 for a fast start. Can't be too disappointed in losing though - in the next 2 weeks the guy won £1000 in both 'mini tour' events he entered followed by coming 19th out of about 1000 pros and guys hoping to turn pro entering Europro Q School. We don't use handicaps so being 1 down to a guy playing off about plus 5.5 (he was plus 4.5 when he turned pro 3 years ago) isn't too bad. :)